What ride is going to have the next big refurb.

Mem11

once or twice when i was little. but i do remember riding it. and like i said, the new one doesn't compare on the same level has the previous version. but it's not bad and it's built on the basic senses which made it much more realistic imo than the one before.

I get the feeling you really don't remember it all that well and while nothing can duplicate the actual attraction this does a damn good job...

If the Disney fan community can't say "Disney Dropped the Ball" on this, then there is no hope. They will continue to create inferior attractions as along as "we" the "customer" accepts them.

***Thanks to Martin for his fantastic videos that allows us to experience these attractions as they once were***

Mike730

:ROFLOL:

the fact that you're looking for seriousness in a DISNEY attraction.

why would anyone go to Disney to expect realness?

Is that a serious question? I hate to burst your bubble, but reality is a deep rooted purpose for EPCOT.

-World showcase pavilions are supposed to be seem so REAL that you feel as if you're actually in that country. They're a meant to give you an experience of the REAL France, the REAL Mexico, the REAL Canada, etc.. They show you how citizens of these countries REALLY live and how the buildings REALLY look.

- Future World is meant to showcase the up and coming ideas of humanity as well as our REAL history. It's meant to show us things that are perhaps futuristic, but SO REAL and possible that our jaws drop. The Land and The Seas show us the REAL planet that we live on. Wonders of Life used to show us the REALITY of the human body, and Universe of energy shows us how we REALLY get and use energy.

Sounds to me like "realness" isn't Disney at all....:rolleyes:

Thrill Seeker

I've actually heard rumblings that GMR might finally be getting some love. Talk about an attraction that could sure use it. There have been a lot of Imagineers snooping around lately, so hopefully this is why...

NoChesterHester

I've actually heard rumblings that GMR might finally be getting some love. Talk about an attraction that could sure use it. There have been a lot of Imagineers snooping around lately, so hopefully this is why...

I think that makes perfect sense. My hope is it doesn't turn into The Great Disney Owned Movies of Cross Promotion Ride.

RSoxNo1

Figment is a hyperactive version of his previous self. The previous character had a childlike ignorance that was endearing. The current Figment is a know it all that's far more annoying than endearing.

As for Dreamfinder vs. Eric Idle. Dreamfinder did have a bit of the creepy uncle vibe (probably the beard), but at least he had some sort of vibe. Eric Idle is far too stiff for an attraction that's supposed to be about imagination.

I understand the message that your imagination works best when it's set free, but that message is only articulated in the very last scene. The majority of the ride is the structured "tour" that Figment is trying to get us out of - the structure results in the attraction being a bit dumbed down.

As for the interaction between the characters, the roles have been reversed in the current version as it's Figment that's now educating Eric Idle on imagination as opposed to the previous version where Dreamfinder educated Figment.

J03Y

Is that a serious question? I hate to burst your bubble, but reality is a deep rooted purpose for EPCOT.

-World showcase pavilions are supposed to be seem so REAL that you feel as if you're actually in that country. They're a meant to give you an experience of the REAL France, the REAL Mexico, the REAL Canada, etc.. They show you how citizens of these countries REALLY live and how the buildings REALLY look.

- Future World is meant to showcase the up and coming ideas of humanity as well as our REAL history. It's meant to show us things that are perhaps futuristic, but SO REAL and possible that our jaws drop. The Land and The Seas show us the REAL planet that we live on. Wonders of Life used to show us the REALITY of the human body, and Universe of energy shows us how we REALLY get and use energy.

Sounds to me like "realness" isn't Disney at all....:rolleyes:

it's a kiddie ride about imagination. :lookaroun ummm

J03Y

Ignorance is bliss I guess.

what are you talking about? you can't go through that entire ride and just say "that ride is completely for adults."

the ignorance is of those who are too obsessed with their childhood. i'm not even this much of a child. :brick:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
what are you talking about? you can't go through that entire ride and just say "that ride is completely for adults."

the ignorance is of those who are too obsessed with their childhood. i'm not even this much of a child. :brick:

You are right, I would never say that ride is completely for adults. Nor would I say it is completely for children.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
but... :confused: enlighten me? how is not completely for kids? and i'm being serious here :shrug:

Is imagination the sole domain of children? Or are rides supposedly just "for kids" not to be enjoyed by those who may be young at heart, or simply have a fondness for certain attractions? If you answer "no" to either question, then it's fair to say those attractions go beyond being just for one demographic.....

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Figment is a hyperactive version of his previous self. The previous character had a childlike ignorance that was endearing. The current Figment is a know it all that's far more annoying than endearing.

As for Dreamfinder vs. Eric Idle. Dreamfinder did have a bit of the creepy uncle vibe (probably the beard), but at least he had some sort of vibe. Eric Idle is far too stiff for an attraction that's supposed to be about imagination.

I understand the message that your imagination works best when it's set free, but that message is only articulated in the very last scene. The majority of the ride is the structured "tour" that Figment is trying to get us out of - the structure results in the attraction being a bit dumbed down.

As for the interaction between the characters, the roles have been reversed in the current version as it's Figment that's now educating Eric Idle on imagination as opposed to the previous version where Dreamfinder educated Figment.

Agreed with all of this. Its almost like the current version of Imagination is a (very poorly done) sequel to the original, where Figment is "all grown up" figuratively speaking and teaching Eric Idle (in probably his worst role ever) about imagination.

While someone posted that Epcot is all about REAL, I agree with that as well, however Imagination was the one departure from that, and really, without imagination, none of the rest of Epcot is possible.

Consider being an Imagineer in the early 1980's, when the idea for an attraction comes along that allows you to show what the creative process in your mind is like.

The original attraction gave us many real world examples of things (literature, sounds, nature, space, science, etc.) are ALL part of what an imagineer looks to for inspiration. They take the real world basics and blossom into fantasy filled attractions, and this is how we all can learn about it.

As much as I love other types of theme parks, Disney WAS and IS the only theme park that could pull off the original Imagination ride so well.

When people ask about the big differences between the original and the current version, I often present it like this:

The current ride you can explain very easily, you meet a scientist who doesn't know about Imagination, and a small dragon looking thing named "Figment" tells him he needs to use his imagination. So you are transported through several "labs" of the senses (sight, smell, touch, taste, hearing), and along the way Figment interrupts you and tells you to use your imagination, until you finally visit his house, which is upside down.

All very easily explained to anyone who hasn't been on it.

Now, to explain the original:

You start out with an instrumental of a song, then meet a man on a large, very interesting looking airship. He introduces himself as the "Dreamfinder" and he decides to create a fellow traveler along the way. He describes this new creature EXACTLY the way we will see him, and calls him "Figment". In this role, Figment is the visualization of what our guests are going to see. He's just learning as we are.

From there, we go into many heavily themed rooms, each of them are highly stylized and almost hyper-real versions of things, which is much more difficult to just tell someone who hasn't ever been on the attraction. It was massive in its delivery of many, many different things, that you really can't understand without seeing it in person.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom