What ride is going to have the next big refurb.

Tip Top Club

The problem with Splash is that a lot of the issues that people talk about here happen only off and on, and are not really constant, so It's highly doubtful that the money will be spent to permanently fix them anytime soon. There are already three rides getting pretty big updates this spring/summer (Thunder, Safaris, Test Track) Though Test Track's seem to have been scaled back (based on rumors, I have no inside information), Thunder's seem to be fairly extensive, and work has already begun on the Safari finale changes as well.

That being said, when it is time for another round of rehabs, I would of course love to see Imagination, but that will essentially require a whole brand new attractions (or two) so I wouldn't expect that anytime soon. The other one has also already been mentioned and that's Jungle Cruise. Jungle Cruise has a lot of the same problems that Big Thunder has, the cramped sweltering outdoor queue, the outdated looks, and those boats aren't in great shape either (first-hand observation).

As far as basic updates though, I would love to see several rides go under rehab for just a short time, like Dinosaur; update the animatronics, and really make all the audio changes to keep it all on one level instead of the awkward multi-levels in there now. Also Great Movie Ride; some of the animatronics in here are getting sad, and I would love to see some audio upgrades as well, it is often difficult to hear what everyone is saying during the scenes when the tour guide gets off the vehicle. The queue could use some updates as well, with a lot more movie memorabilia, and perhaps some wider areas in the lobby of the theatre. (That video in the final room could use a cleaning as well). The other ride that could use some queue updates is Toy Story Mania (I know they won't close this one, but queue updates could be made without closing the ride) they really missed the boat on this one with interactive queues, I would love to see an interactive queue at Rockin' Roller Coaster as well, and perhaps even Buzz Lightyear, Obviously Jungle Cruise, Peter Pan, Pirates (I know some people will say they won't need it, but really this ride does get lines on more days then it doesn't), Test Track, I would love to see Seas updated with more formal Fish Charades than what is there now, and while it doesn't need interactivity, I would love to see some small animals added into the queue of Kilimanjaro Safaris as well. No one knows where the ring-tailed lemurs are, so they would be a great fit, perhaps more birds as well like the Marabou Stork, or Secretery Bird, or other small African Animals that don't currently appear in either the safari or the Pangani forest.

stitch2008

Not sure when you last rode, but Splash's condition has been anywhere from horrible to complete disrepair for a while now. Check out this thread for some details...

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=831580

I rode it about a few weeks ago and it looked like it was in pretty good shape actually. :shrug:

The rehab would address figures and effects of course. But more importantly, it would address some major backstage issues and ride system issues. So all the above I guess.

Annielkd

Being with the competition, I've heard whispers here and there about their refurbishments.

We've heard that Splash Mountain is supposed to be up next. That one would take a couple months. They apparently want both Thunder and Splash to be finished before they start some other project in that part of the park.

they just did Splash Mountain last year for a few months... I don't think that's next. I heard the Jungle cruise too.

Magenta Panther

No inside info here....but a Splash Mt rehab is a no-brainer, then followed by a thorough Jungle Cruise rehab (and plus). I'd love to see piranha (like DL's), added.

Splash Mountain needs all-new, state-of-the-art AAs. The ones it has look so shabby and dated, and I don't think a simple "refurb" (see what I did there?) will be enough.

menamechris

I think when the next phase of Fantasyland opens, we will see some rides going down for refurbs, because the added capacity will be there. I think Jungle Cruise may be up next. But I don't expect anything drastic to happen to it or any other attraction. I think we will be seeing some long overdue general maintenance done to most of them (unless they have plans for the queues, which is very possible).

MerlinTheGoat

they just did Splash Mountain last year for a few months... I don't think that's next. I heard the Jungle cruise too.

They closed it during early 2011 to install lap bars in all the ride vehicles. This was apparently only something done to the ride vehicles, and little to nothing about the actual attraction was fixed. One thing was a handrail near the end of the queue that was apparently replaced (that wasn't properly finished either when i went on it after the refurb, i don't recall if it ever was) and the other was a damaged part of the rockwork right before the riverboat scene (next to the small waterfall on the right, it was covered with a tarp before the ride closed).

Other than that, i rode Splash right before and right after the refurb happened. Nothing seemed to be fixed in terms of the animatronics or any such broken show scenes. They just wasted that time where they could have done a ton of TLC on the figures and at least some minor repainting but chose to ignore the issues entirely. Now as a result, it's just getting worse and worse. They did manage to fix the broken riverboat scene that occurred recently, but the attraction still looks like it's falling apart. Pretty much all the AA's have very limited movement and need serious work before the ride is brought up to proper show standards.

WDW1974

Don't want to be accused of attacking those with less than Spirited observational skills, but Splash Mountain has been in godawful show shape for so many years that I seriously wonder if anyone here would be capable of telling just what's working and what's not or missing.

I have ridden it days after a rehab in 2011 and it still was in pathetic show shape.

If you believe it is fine, then go fly to Tokyo, ride that version and come back and we'll talk.

MK's Splash Mountain is ghetto all the way.

~Change is coming. BIG, SPIRITED change!~

Captain Neo

pretty sad that Disney fans have to now get excited and look forward to refurbs instead of thrilling new attractions. Refurbs used to be conducted regularly and plussing was done once in awhile not to "leverage a brand" but just because it would make the attraction better and fresher to visitors.

Disneydreamer23

Don't want to be accused of attacking those with less than Spirited observational skills, but Splash Mountain has been in godawful show shape for so many years that I seriously wonder if anyone here would be capable of telling just what's working and what's not or missing.

I have ridden it days after a rehab in 2011 and it still was in pathetic show shape.

If you believe it is fine, then go fly to Tokyo, ride that version and come back and we'll talk.

MK's Splash Mountain is ghetto all the way.

~Change is coming. BIG, SPIRITED change!~

just googled the Tokyo one.. can you tell me what difference it has besides stuff hanging from the ceiling and a few scenes are different?

Annielkd

They closed it during early 2011 to install lap bars in all the ride vehicles. This was apparently only something done to the ride vehicles, and little to nothing about the actual attraction was fixed. One thing was a handrail near the end of the queue that was apparently replaced (that wasn't properly finished either when i went on it after the refurb, i don't recall if it ever was) and the other was a damaged part of the rockwork right before the riverboat scene (next to the small waterfall on the right, it was covered with a tarp before the ride closed).

Other than that, i rode Splash right before and right after the refurb happened. Nothing seemed to be fixed in terms of the animatronics or any such broken show scenes. They just wasted that time where they could have done a ton of TLC on the figures and at least some minor repainting but chose to ignore the issues entirely. Now as a result, it's just getting worse and worse. They did manage to fix the broken riverboat scene that occurred recently, but the attraction still looks like it's falling apart. Pretty much all the AA's have very limited movement and need serious work before the ride is brought up to proper show standards.

I was there while the refurbishment was going on. They drained the water, and did all kids of stuff with the flume part. When it was done all you could tell was that things were painted.

IanDLBZF

Splash usually goes down every year for a month or two. It needs it.

But for AA's and bunch of other stuff that SERIOUSLY NEEDS ATTENTION on Splash Mountain, then I'd expect to be closed for much longer than just a month or two. I'd say somewhere from 3-10 months (or longer if needed)....

Annielkd

When they open the new fantasy land and close Snow White... maybe they can think of something new and exciting... then build that. Then when they closed a ride for a year or so to really refurbish, the crowds would be ok. I personally think they need to build a completely new world like "Cony Island" and have a ton of old fashioned rides. A huge roller coster and ferris wheel would help spread out the crowds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom