What Resort Not To Stay At.!

real mad hatter

Hi Folks. You know there's always plenty of members,new & old,asking for advice on what resorts are our favourites.However very few ask where would you not stay. So here's my question today.Is there a resort at WDW that you don't fancy for a particular reason? For example,if I could,which I can't.Afford to stay our 14 days,at a deluxe,( unless the wind of fortune changes ) I would not pick AKL for one particular reason,it's in the middle of nowhere land,on the edge of the magic bubble,yes it's got some of the best restaurants on Disney property,but due to its location,it gets the No Vote from me.And the only other deluxe that I wouldn't like to stay at ( Heres where the heat gets turned up ) is GF. Now before all you GF fans reach for your bow & arrows,let me explain why it's not for me. I'am not the bow tie & afternoon tea kinda guy,I would feel out of place.Theres a Disney brochure here in the UK that shows a picture of mummy with her little angel having petit fours at lunch.( Yeh,like Thats gonna happen ) The La de da scene just isn't my cup of Kona,trust me,I wouldn't feel relaxed...Example..True story time..Many years ago,an up and coming Scottish comedian called Billy Connelly was at a Golf charity event when he bumped into a old school buddy ( who was now a big time lawyer ) He said to Billy " Are you still trying to be a stand up comic? " to which Billy quietly nodded his head.He then went on to say,in his best posh accent,which he never had at school." You know Billy,we bought our villa three years ago for $350.000 and its now worth $700.000, double the price we paid for it,what would you get if you sold your house?" Billy just looked at him and said," Oh about six years.". The moral behind that story is I'am yer working man,the GF isn't for me.:)

PUSH

Do not stay at any resort where Pop Warner kids, cheerleaders, or Brazilian tour groups are staying. Duh

I've actually stayed at POR a couple of times when cheerleaders were there, and I have yet to be bothered by them. Tour groups, though...

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

Well, after the horrific service...I can tell you that I will NEVER recommend Yacht Club to anyone. I know lots of people have great experiences there, but all that means nothing if you're that small % that gets one of the best when the CM's are at their very worst.

Beyond that...I really could not see myself staying at a Value. While double beds are the biggest issues...room size and proximity are the other big factors. Beyond that...I really like a big fancy hotel :)

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

Why, because some people have more resources than others and can afford to stay at a resort that might be out of someone elses price range?

To put it simply, I can easily afford the GF. I simply cannot stand most of the people and the over abundance that is shows. Its a "Keeping Up with the Jones's" show. If you need that, more power to you. You may view it completely different than I do. That is all well and good and your opinion/choice. However, it will never change my view of what it symbolizes.

Upvote 0

Bparso87

To put it simply, I can easily afford the GF. I simply cannot stand most of the people and the over abundance that is shows. Its a "Keeping Up with the Jones's" show. If you need that, more power to you. You may view it completely different than I do. That is all well and good and your opinion/choice. However, it will never change my view of what it symbolizes.
I am with you I ate at 1900 park fair last year and felt like I was a outcast because I wore shorts.

Upvote 0

Phineas

The reason I have no interset in staying at Saratoga Springs is because we dont live to far from the real Saratoga Springs,and it just wont feel right to me to travel all the way to florida to stay somewhere that resembles someplace too close to home.
I live in Saratoga, and I feel the same way. And comparing the two, Disney vaguely got the Saratoga thing right-I imagine this is how foreign visitors feel when visiting their homelands represented in the World Showcase-kind of eerie, kind of off in an intangible sort of way.

Upvote 0

StarWarsGirl

Hi Folks. You know there's always plenty of members,new & old,asking for advice on what resorts are our favourites.However very few ask where would you not stay. So here's my question today.Is there a resort at WDW that you don't fancy for a particular reason? For example,if I could,which I can't.Afford to stay our 14 days,at a deluxe,( unless the wind of fortune changes ) I would not pick AKL for one particular reason,it's in the middle of nowhere land,on the edge of the magic bubble,yes it's got some of the best restaurants on Disney property,but due to its location,it gets the No Vote from me.And the only other deluxe that I wouldn't like to stay at ( Heres where the heat gets turned up ) is GF. Now before all you GF fans reach for your bow & arrows,let me explain why it's not for me. I'am not the bow tie & afternoon tea kinda guy,I would feel out of place.Theres a Disney brochure here in the UK that shows a picture of mummy with her little angel having petit fours at lunch.( Yeh,like Thats gonna happen ) The La de da scene just isn't my cup of Kona,trust me,I wouldn't feel relaxed...Example..True story time..Many years ago,an up and coming Scottish comedian called Billy Connelly was at a Golf charity event when he bumped into a old school buddy ( who was now a big time lawyer ) He said to Billy " Are you still trying to be a stand up comic? " to which Billy quietly nodded his head.He then went on to say,in his best posh accent,which he never had at school." You know Billy,we bought our villa three years ago for $350.000 and its now worth $700.000, double the price we paid for it,what would you get if you sold your house?" Billy just looked at him and said," Oh about six years.". The moral behind that story is I'am yer working man,the GF isn't for me.:)
I agree with you about Animal Kingdom Lodge. My family stays there if we're only there for a few days. I feel like I'm too far out. I'd rather be at BLT or BC. I also cannot stand Grand Floridian. It's so prissy and not my style. I prefer hotels where you can walk through the lobby in a bathing suit and no one will stare at you. My family is well off, but we also are very laid back, and Grand Floridian is not laid back.

Upvote 0

StarWarsGirl

My family has issues with Pop Century. But that's because when we went there...stop reading now if you have a weak stomach.

Okay, there was crap in the middle of the floor in the men's room (yes crap). And my brother stepped in the crap when he was in the stage of running away. My father noticed but instead of saying his name once and telling him to stop, he said his name six times, which of course does not work. So my brother stepped in the crap. And of course my father tried to clean off his shoes, but they still stank. So my mother has to wash them. My dad adds an extra O in the middle of the word Pop when he refers to it. We have not stayed there since. We're really not fans of the value resorts. Being DVC, we can stay elsewhere. My parents really don't sleep well in the beds there. We only stayed there for one night, but still.

No, I am not making this up. This actually happened; I stake my reputation on it. In its defense, it has a very nice arcade. But so does Contemporary.

Upvote 0

StarWarsGirl

Grand Floridian,Contemporary, and Saratoga Springs. On our last trip,we did the monorail loop and resort hopped,and I just wasn't that impressed with the GF or Contemporary. The GF just seemed too stuffy and high end for me,while the Contemporary just seemed a little to cold style wise for me. It felt to much like a airport to me. The reason I have no interset in staying at Saratoga Springs is because we dont live to far from the real Saratoga Springs,and it just wont feel right to me to travel all the way to florida to stay somewhere that resembles someplace too close to home.

I agree with you on Grand Floridian. Saratoga Springs is fine, but it's too big. It has really good food, though, and the pool is nice. I've never been that far North, so I wouldn't know, and not too much is based off of Baltimore architecture, even though it should be.

Upvote 0

Mori Anne

In the Parks
No
I don't recommend CBR. We didn't have hot water on three occasions and the buses were horrible!! I had a very bad experience at all stars movies and will never go back again. I like the Pop. I have never had a problem with noise, cleanliness, food, mousekeeping, or anything else for that matter. The buses are fantastic, people walking by my window doesn't bother me, there are several pools, and I love the theming. It is fun and entertaining:) I don't find it tacky IMHO. I also love the swan and dolphin. Nice rooms, great beds, good views, nice location to Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and boardwalk :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Deak

Banned
Over the years I have stayed at the poly back in the 80s gf in 94 CBR in '11 and wl many times with most recent in oct of 12. I would not stay at CBR unless the rooms at least had queen beds and they re worked the bus service it's horrible. CBR is big and i thinks thats its worst enemy.

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Original Poster
Would you guys who WONT stay at a value resort like POP or ALL, give AOA a try? Just wondering, because my wife and I are trying it out in Sept.
I'll go..Your on site,it's new,it's got a very interesting food selection ( including tandoor cuisine ) and most of all.The pixie dust is the same as at GF.;)

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Original Poster
Very well put..Never been but yes,can imagine what you said.Reminds me when my DW and I booked into a 7 star hotel in Dubai oh ( one night only ) Couldn't afford two nights.In this massive lounge area,whilst sipping a cool beer,she whispered into my ear," everyone here looks like millionaires " I just smiled and said," I know,if anyone asks what I do,I'am Bruce Springsteen agent.":(

Upvote 0

Phonedave

Are there places I absoulety will not stay? - no. However there are places that given the option I prefer not to stay at.

I really do not want to stay at any of the Values again. Been there done that. As someone else said, I have moved past it. Cramped rooms, industrial furnishings and OTT decor and what amounts to a shopping mall food court - not for me.

ALK - especially Kidani Village. It is just too far from everything (except AK) in Kidani you can have quite the long walk to the lobby if you get a room down the end.

-dave

Upvote 0

pixargal

Well, after the horrific service...I can tell you that I will NEVER recommend Yacht Club to anyone. I know lots of people have great experiences there, but all that means nothing if you're that small % that gets one of the best when the CM's are at their very worst.

Beyond that...I really could not see myself staying at a Value. While double beds are the biggest issues...room size and proximity are the other big factors. Beyond that...I really like a big fancy hotel :)
We had the same awful CM experience at Yacht Club and was put in a room that overlooked a flat roof with trash scattered all over it. So, obviously, I would not recommend YC either. However, BC was the complete opposite experience, and would highly recommend staying there.

Upvote 0

Stellajack

Personally for me and my husband, nothing quite says "fun at Disneyworld" than the Grand Floridian!:rolleyes: Seriously, the two of us visit this resort via monorail almost every time we are in WDW to shop at Basin White (soaps and spa thingys) and other shops on the 2nd floor. Occasionally, we sit in the lobby to listen to the orchestra, as well as a couple of trips to the 1900 Park Fare. A gorgeous resort, for certain, but we wouldn't deliberately plan to stay here.

Upvote 0

Mot

I won't stay at any resort that costs more than $150 a night. I applaud those who like to spend more than that (yay for you) but I don't want to buy the place. My family and I prefer POP Century because we're only in the room long enough to shower and sleep. I don't go to Disney to spend time in a room and go swimming, I can do that here at home. :)
I agree with you entirely. Our first stay was at CB before the Values were open but since that we've stayed at all the Values except AoA. Everywhere else seems like a waste of money to spend my time sleeping.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom