What pets outside of dogs should WDW allow in Hotel rooms?

What pets outside of dogs should WDW allow in Hotel rooms?

• Fish

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • cats

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • Hamsters

• Birds

• Snakes

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • rabbits

Votes: 13 7.0%
  • iguana

Votes: 10 5.4%
  • crabs

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • other - Means outside of dogs and outside of the potential pets already mentioned

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • None

Votes: 122 65.9%

• Total voters

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
If WDW really wanted to cater to dog owners they would build a resort specifically for that purpose rather than mix dog owners and non dog owners in the same resort. WDW could provide on site kennels catering to dog guests so their not in the room for 7 hours during the day. May be this is a test run to see how many people stay with their dogs.
What a Goofy idea!

DfromATX

That awesome to hear your cat regaining back to her normal behavior. Gosh sometime I wish I had a cat that was brave. I remember watching a famous cat on Instagram being very chill in the car headboard. When I put my cats in the car, they see death in their eyes. LOL

Thank you. We were really worried about her. I've had cats my whole life and moved lots of times and never had a cat react that way.

NelleBelle

If WDW really wanted to cater to dog owners they would build a resort specifically for that purpose rather than mix dog owners and non dog owners in the same resort. WDW could provide on site kennels catering to dog guests so their not in the room for 7 hours during the day. May be this is a test run to see how many people stay with their dogs.
Love this idea! We've stayed at a hotel in Portland, OR that when you bring your dog they provide a dog bed, food bowls, etc. They could provide a concierge level where a dog walker comes and takes the dog out for potty breaks/walks or they have an onsite doggy daycare!

ColinP29

I wouldn't want to stay in a hotel room that has previously had a pet. Allergic to cats quite badly so could cause issues. Bet I'm not the only one,

So to avoid this, you need to have segregated rooms that would allow pets. say you give 10% of your hotel for rooms that allow pets. You completely narrow your market for selling those rooms.

NelleBelle

Also, how many of these rooms are going to have to be taken out of service to be repaired because someone's dog went ballistic and tore up the carpet/door/furniture because it was left unattended? Just picturing some of those videos you see posted about a bored/anxious dog that was left alone. And the number of male dogs that are going to "mark" their territory because some other dog marked their territory?? I don't care how good housekeeping is, dogs will find it and mark it!! :hungover:

DfromATX

Also, how many of these rooms are going to have to be taken out of service to be repaired because someone's dog went ballistic and tore up the carpet/door/furniture because it was left unattended? Just picturing some of those videos you see posted about a bored/anxious dog that was left alone. And the number of male dogs that are going to "mark" their territory because some other dog marked their territory?? I don't care how good housekeeping is, dogs will find it and mark it!! :hungover:

And no matter how good house keeping is, they are not going to find pee that has already soaked into the carpet and furniture. Just eventually that room will start to stink!

NelleBelle

And no matter how good house keeping is, they are not going to find pee that has already soaked into the carpet and furniture. Just eventually that room will start to stink!
Blech! Especially as they tend to keep the a/c turned down (up?) so the room is warmer. No stank you! We ended up having to rip carpet out of house when we first got our puppy due to a few, um, "accidents". We bought enzyme removes that were supposed to remove everything but once it's in the carpet pad, forget it!!

John park hopper

Blech! Especially as they tend to keep the a/c turned down (up?) so the room is warmer. No stank you! We ended up having to rip carpet out of house when we first got our puppy due to a few, um, "accidents". We bought enzyme removes that were supposed to remove everything but once it's in the carpet pad, forget it!!

I can see your point, however WDW could build a resort to cater to dog owners and not disperse them within the other resorts. Rooms could be designed for easy cleaning --- no carpet, hard wood or composite floors.

NelleBelle

I can see your point, however WDW could build a resort to cater to dog owners and not disperse them within the other resorts. Rooms could be designed for easy cleaning --- no carpet, hard wood or composite floors.
Yup! Totally agree that if they build a specific resort that caters to pet/dog owners, they could make it a lot easier to clean and more pet-friendly on the whole. But I'm referring to how they have things set up currently. I know there are many dog owners whose dog(s) behave great and could do just fine at the resorts but I also know many whose dog(s) would be awful (and they themselves can be somewhat unscrupulous) where it would be disastrous!!:jawdrop:

WDW_Emily

I am going to be that person....

I am highly allergic to all animals with fur. Cats, Dogs, Rabbits, Horses, etc. So much so that if I go to Rafiki's Planet Watch and say around the petting areas for more than 5 minutes, I will break out in hives and have trouble breathing. Not the best situation. In my normal day to day life, I can walk past a stray cat or a person walking their dog and I'll be okay my problem is the room. I know Disney said they would do a "deep cleaning" but if they miss anything, I would be down for the day.

It is also not fair to the animals. What dog wants to be in a hotel room from 8am-midnight? Not to mention the mess you will come back to leaving a dog in the room for that long. I just don't see this going very well.

Unless Disney's goal is to get people to pay for their dog daycare......:rolleyes:

EOD K9

Again, I think generally, they will only have dedicated rooms for pets, and if you make your allergies known, they should put you in an area away from them.
As far as leaving them in a room for a few hours, owners should know their dogs. My first partner (rest her soul) would have been fine in a room. I would have been ok taking her to WDW, not that I would. My current partner, he is fine for work trips, but I definitely wouldn't travel with him.

WDW_Emily

Quite the opposite, I’d guess.

This is not a thing.
When I go to the parks, I usually go from opening 8/9am to park close which is anywhere from 9-midnight depending on the park and EMH. If I had a dog with me it wouldn't be a service dog and therefore wouldn't be allowed inside the park and would be in my room the entire time.

Tony the Tigger

When I go to the parks, I usually go from opening 8/9am to park close which is anywhere from 9-midnight depending on the park and EMH. If I had a dog with me it wouldn't be a service dog and therefore wouldn't be allowed inside the park and would be in my room the entire time.

But if you read, you learn that (as I said) that is not a thing.

The rule (for now) is you can leave your pet in the room no more than 7 hours. 8AM or 9AM to midnight is more than that.

Best Friends Pet Care, the kennel on Disney Property, is not going away. Most people would not be stupid enough to leave their pet alone in the room longer than Disney rules state, let alone the 15 or 16 hours you are suggesting.

When we go to a pet friendly hotel for a Disney visit, we do not leave our dog in the room from 9AM to midnight. We take her to Best Friends Pet Care in the morning, pick her up when we're done, and then she and we both have a better time by having her sleep in the room with us. Also, if BFPC tells us she didn't eat there, we can feed her in the room and she will eat. There are all kinds of advantages to this arrangement.

I realize not everyone will do the right thing, but jumping to the extreme example that people are going to regularly leave their dogs in a room for 15 hours is, again, against the rules and pretty ridiculous. Most people who have dogs like dogs.

Tony the Tigger

How can it be the opposite?

If you previously had 100% available for everyone. You then reduce that to 90% for everyone and 10% for people with pets, you limit the market of that 10% because not 100% of people have pets

Simple. If you were previously limiting your clientele to people who do not have pets, you are increasing your potential clientele by opening 10% up to the far more than 10% who have pets.

Pixieish

The law does not define "proper". Neither should Disney. Intolerance is a small demographic in the USA but the voices of intolerance are loud. We are as nation are slow to the party from marriage to pets. I am continually amazed by how we get ourselves in a knot by the smallest of issues. A gay couple, nor a dog has zero impact on my Disney vacation. I don't grasp the need to zero in on irrelevant things. We are in a strange place right now in our nation with who should have health insurance, who should be in our military, what is proper, what is not by judgmental standards. Intolerance is rampant by a small but loud demographic and an equally small demographic that what wants to define what is proper and improper by their singular attitudes. Then again I was born in an era where my folks had to search for an apartment that would accept Lord forbid 'children' and people of 'color' oh my! So it doesn't surprise me that many freak out over a dog. I am baffled by those who waste their time wanting to define for others what is proper and improper.

There are bomb sniffing dogs at airports and all sorts of places including WDW. Ultimately guests survive So a non issue. I was at the Wilderness Lodge during Irma. Many a pet took refuge at the Lodge during the hurricane. It went well. It is now mandated by law so owners do not have to abandon pets in emergency situations. I have never traveled with my pets but I have yet to see witness any horrid situations either. Thoughts if pets in hotels was an issue it wouldn't be a growing acceptance. Our military utilizes dogs, our police do. Still some freak out.

I think a lot of the issue is with the fact that service dogs are trained properly and there will be guests that bring dogs of all sorts of temperaments and levels of obedience. Personally I think there must be a way to make this work as other establishments already do.
Would I bring my pet if I lived in the States ? No, but I understand other people would.
Will this be a success ? Not sure, it depends how Disney handles it.

MOST of the "service dogs" you see at Disney World are fakes because their owners lied so they could bring them into the parks. A "true" service animal does not ride in a stroller, does not sit/lie on tables where humans usually eat, etc. etc. etc. And please don't try to tell me that no one lies to bring their dogs to the parks. They most certainly do, and I've also witnessed people in FB groups and even on this forum encouraging the lying.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom