What kind of camera for the parks?

Richards070712

Original Poster
We're looking for a new camera that we will take to the parks this October.
Here's what I'm looking for:
1) Excellent picture quality (of course)
2) One that takes very good video as well
3) Does well at night
4) small

Somewhere in the $250-$400 range, obviously if one is cheaper that would be great!

I plan taking a lot of pictures and video to make a video for us and our families since it's my son's and niece's first trip.

What do you all recommend?

Note: Not sure if this belongs in General Discussion

Figaro928

I'm no camera expert...but here's my two cents... take a look at a couple of the trip reports here - lots have amazing pictures with them. in the trip reports with the, umm, better pictures the OP always says what camera he or she is using.

Richards070712

Original Poster
If you're really wanting a small that performs well at night a regular P&S isn't going to cut it. Stretch your budget a little and look at the sony r100

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DSC-RX100-Sensor-Digital-Camera/dp/B00889ST2G

This is a small camera that performs very well. Pricy though. But much easier to haul around than a DSLR and a couple of lenses.
I was actually just looking at that one on Amazon.
I liked what I read about it, but it is a little high for the amount that I will use it outside of the parks.
Hopefully I can find it on sale or used somewhere.

Violiav

We just picked up a waterproof Olympus on clearance from Target (for water park photos). Tested it out. It seems to work pretty well.

Mouse_Trap

I would suggest something like
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DSC-HX50V-20-4MP-Digital-Camera/dp/B00CDIK48U

I have an earlier model which I do like. Some DLSR people will poke fun at the quality of cameras in the travel zoom category I'm sure. But at that kind of price, you get a terrific camera and a huge zoom for a low price.

I belive the new model should be out soon, HX60v and if having GPS isn't important, drop the v of the model number for either and you can find essentially the same camera significant cheaper.

DashboardCowMan

A tip though regardless of what camera you use. Don't make the mistake I see so many do, letting the camera take over the trip. It's easy to get caught up "capturing" the magic, but end up missing the live magic right in front of you.

C&D

There is just so much good/great stuff out there you just need to do some internet browsing/shopping; personally I like my Canon Powershot. Zoom is important to me so I have the SX50IS (but there are smaller/lighter same function options out there).

copcarguyp71

Whatever you do don't be like the rest of the troglodytes that hold up an iPad during wishes to take your pics!

For what it is worth we have a Sony that has performed very well for us in the past. It is a couple of years old now so I am sure models have been updated but I have always been happy with their products even if they are a couple bucks more. Bought a good Swiss Army case for it and have never had water problems on any of the rides carrying it around in my cargo shorts.

copcarguyp71

A tip though regardless of what camera you use. Don't make the mistake I see so many do, letting the camera take over the trip. It's easy to get caught up "capturing" the magic, but end up missing the live magic right in front of you.

Right on!
105282-Jim-Gaffigan-selfie-meme-inste-1tYl.jpeg

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I've got a Nikon Coolpix 6300 that I got for under $200 on Amazon. Takes great pics and HD video - 16 megapixels and 10x zoom. I prefer Nikon because of the quality of the lenses they use. I also have a Sony video camera that I use for those events I want outstanding video, like FoF, Wishes or special parades.

Cell phones will never match the picture quality and functionality of cameras - either P&S or videos, so ignore the iPhone recommendation.

"Whatever you do don't be like the rest of the troglodytes that hold up an iPad during wishes to take your pics!" - Agree - I've had many a troglodyte ruin my video because all I got was a picture of his iPad that he repeatedly held up in front of my camera. If you have a smart phone, why do you need and bring a tablet to the parks? The mobile app doesn't work on them, duh.

Mouse_Trap

I-phone works perfect no fuss easy to carry always with you.

Look at what the OP wanted though. An iphone certainly doesn't take excellent quality photos. Acceptable quality in good conditions, maybe. But hardly the kind of photos that you would want to get printed or use on screen at any decent size.

1) Excellent picture quality (of course)
2) One that takes very good video as well
3) Does well at night

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Don't ignore the iPhone recommendation.

We found the iPhone 5 consistently good at quick snaps of fireworks as well as day to day non ride shots both day and night.

You'll need a good dedicated point n shoot elsewhere (no flash on rides please) but we used both and found it to be the prefect mix.

Mr Toad

I will be using my phone to take the pictures when we go. I recently got the Nokia Lumina 1020. It has a 41 mp camera and takes video in 1080p HD. Its a sweet phone...but I know its no substitute for an SLR. But for a phone it takes great pics.

mikeymouse

We have a nice Canon PowerShot with optical zoom, but last trip we just used our phones. My phone has an 8.0 MP camera so it took good enough pics and also takes HD videos. Only has 4x digital zoom, but it was better than having to lug the camera bag around.

Mouse_Trap

I wish people didn't confuse a higher megapixel number with improved photo quality.....there really is so much more to it that that.

A mobile phone is always going to be a very compromised solution because of the generally lessor quality components and small sensors used - they have to cram it into a tiny space.

Yes, I can see the convenience associated with only carrying one device. But what good is that going to be when your phone battery is dead by early afternoon?

In my view it may be good enough for your daily snaps, but if its a vacation holiday with your family i.e. something you will want to keep to look at for a long time - I would certainly invest in something better.

dadddio

I'll join in on the Canon powershot recommendation. My wife's is a very nice little camera.

I use a Canon 70d that while taking very excellent pictures and video in all situations, is big and spendy. I only bring it up because I am one of those people who others may think is missing the magic by spending the time taking pictures of it. Those people are wrong.

My wife and I have been to WDW so many times, that we basically stopped bring cameras to the park because their wasn't much that we hadn't captured. We'd settle for some photopass pics and be happy. Then we had kids. Now when we go, I try to capture a lot of my preschooler's experiences in the parks because those are memories that I never want to lose. I still have tons of fun and my kids don't seem to feel that they are camera orphans. It should be noted that we also take advantage of photopass CMs so that we can get pics of the entire family.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom