What is with the AC being off on Spaceship Earth?

Chef Mickey

I can't prove it, but i believe every building at WDW is 3-4 degrees warmer than it used to be. SSE is definitely one of the worst offenders, but definitely not the only one. Also, if the A/C didn't work at all, you would probably not be able to ride it without passing out.

It's a clear way to save money across WDW.

That said, I'm mostly comfortable in every building and I still say Disney has legendary AC overall. Honestly, the "warmer" restaurants are welcome at times because while that AC feels good the moment you walk in from the heat, you can be pretty chilly during you're meal, which isn't always desirable.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The building has quite an ingenious colling system built in. It worked fine for 30-odd years.

Has to be turned ON to work. That cooling system has been reviewed in many engineering journals as even now it's state of the art. Yes 30 years on many components have been improved the conceptual engineering has not been surpassed even in the age of LEED.

This is the kind of thing Disney USED to be known for.

Matty H

This has actually been a topic of discussion for a number of years. It hits 100 degrees and the first thing you know things are hot. Somebody said that they cut back quite a while ago. Since no one has been using a thermostat and checking the daily temperature against the outside air, I'd say that it would be impossible to determine if it is any hotter then it was back a few years ago.

Honestly, you have to think that setting everything in the World to be even one degree warmer must save them a fortune. Maybe it IS something done consciously.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
I've noticed this on multiple attractions in recent years, and also noted how shops and restaurants are still comfortable. This is coming from someone who lives in FL and maintains 79-80 degrees on the thermostat. The parks up the road still have ice cold A/C in their attractions...

When we moved to Kissimmee, the first day we were in our new house we were dying with the heat because of the doors being open with the movers constantly going in and out. When they were done, the temperature finally started to drop, but I couldn't get it down where I wanted it. There was a company sticker on the AC unit, so I called them and asked them to come out. He asked me what the temperature in the house was. 75 I replied. Then what's the problem? I wanted to get it down to 70, I told him. Why would anyone have it at that ridiculous temperature he asked me? Needless to say we eventually kept our house around 76 after our bodies had gotten used to the Florida heat.

ratherbeinwdw

I always take a long-sleeved blouse to the parks for the sun and for the cold air in some attractions. For the first time ever, I didn't need it, even one time, in any ride building this past weekend. We commented on this quite a few times.
On the contrary, we froze in the buildings at Uni. I don't mind being a little warmer, but even a little less air than we just experienced would be uncomfortable and was probably already too warm for many people.

Edward M

I rode it Sunday, and the AC was on and very nice. I have many problems with Disney World, but access to AC has never been one of them. It's the best collection of parks for AC anywhere. Universal on the other hand, being there in July was legitimate misery. They are the awful with keeping people in that horrible humid weather.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I rode it Sunday, and the AC was on and very nice. I have many problems with Disney World, but access to AC has never been one of them. It's the best collection of parks for AC anywhere. Universal on the other hand, being there in July was legitimate misery. They are the awful with keeping people in that horrible humid weather.
We never felt an issue at Uni in September.

Edward M

We never felt an issue at Uni in September.

As long as you avoid the intense heat of summer, Universal is usually fine with AC and being cool. I think it was more the 95% humidity and 100 degree weather haha. It's decently easy to find AC in USF, but IOA (which I still prefer) makes it hard to find AC, in my opinion. Marvel Land, Suess Landing, Jurassic Park, and especially Toon Lagoon are largely outdoors. With that kind of weather, waiting in the queue for Popeye makes one feel like they are somehow melting from the heat.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom