What is this, and why haven't they built here yet?

DCLcruiser

Original Poster
I was looking at Google Maps and I noticed a plot of land that has been partially cleared for a roadway. What is this? (area in green).

Also, the large surrounding area (red), why are we not building Gate #5 right there!?

Whatisthis-1.jpg

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I've asked that before and never gotten a definitive answer, If you look at it in Bing maps and go "Bird's Eye" it appears to be some off-roading trails. Possibly for use of certain cast members?

As far as the other area...they can't keep the first 4 gates 100% operational, how can they build a 5th?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
A service road with an area that appears to have been used for some off-roading. There are lots of undeveloped areas in WDW that "could" be used at some future time, but not all of them. As I understand, part of the commitment when the land was consolidated into Ready Creek was that a fairly large percentage would remain undeveloped permanently.

MissM

What's cool is this: http://goo.gl/maps/RI0J

If you look, there's a very long road -here: http://goo.gl/maps/d0NF - that cuts dead straight through that wooded area leading to what's labeled "Reedy Creek Energy Services." It comes out right on World Drive and there's no sign, no gate, nothing. Technically, you could drive back there since it's not posted private or no trespassing or anything. Just claim you got lost and pulled over to turn around. Might be kinda neat to see back there.

invader

If you look, there's a very long road -here: http://goo.gl/maps/d0NF - that cuts dead straight through that wooded area leading to what's labeled "Reedy Creek Energy Services." It comes out right on World Drive and there's no sign, no gate, nothing. Technically, you could drive back there since it's not posted private or no trespassing or anything. Just claim you got lost and pulled over to turn around. Might be kinda neat to see back there.
"Oh yeah, I just turned on to this unmarked unpaved road not labeled for guest use on accident. I'll turn around now." :rolleyes:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
"Oh yeah, I just turned on to this unmarked unpaved road not labeled for guest use on accident. I'll turn around now." :rolleyes:

Well that makes more sense then some intentionally going to explore a sewage treatment plant ;)

As for the original post, if you look on Google Earth you can see that area has been like that as far back as 1995.

DisneyJoe

As I understand, part of the commitment when the land was consolidated into Ready Creek was that a fairly large percentage would remain undeveloped permanently.

25% I believe. They also purchased 8500 acres off property to form the Disney Wildlife Preserve.

Rob562

If you look to the west of that point, there's a cell tower back in the woods, and it's also where the high-tension power lines heading from the northern power plant presumably dip underground on their way to Epcot. (If you look at the maps, you can see where the power lines follow the edge of the property from the power plant north of the MK, around the west side of the golf courses, down to the sewage plant, and then east to that clearing with the cell tower)

-Rob

scpergj

Well, if you look closely at the one off-road type area...then look closely at Kilimanjaro Safari...they are very close. Same general loops, same number of loops, same general shape and size. I thougt I remembered there was an area somewhere that the original training for safari drivers was held, before DAK was opened. Looks about right...could it be?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Well, if you look closely at the one off-road type area...then look closely at Kilimanjaro Safari...they are very close. Same general loops, same number of loops, same general shape and size. I thougt I remembered there was an area somewhere that the original training for safari drivers was held, before DAK was opened. Looks about right...could it be?
Loops? There aren't any loops on KS. :confused:

scpergj

Loops? There aren't any loops on KS. :confused:

See...just another case of Wal-Marting! There used to be a loop the trucks had to go around before they got to the falling bridge! I know I remember it...and King Louie was there!!! Seriously!!!:rolleyes:

I meant loops like the shape of the track at KS...not inversions....:)

The Empress Lilly

There are loops on KS. The ride just doesn't do them. It follows a straight path.

But if you go off-roading, you could make endless loops on the KS paths.

I did this together with Mad Hatter we rented two 4x4's then broke into DAK at night where we discovered the alcohol storage of Tusker House we took it all with us for safari equipment but we already drank it all while using the crocodile pool for our private Lazy River then we went rhino-tipping naked then over at the lions we met some guy with a massive earring dressed in nothing but a loincloth he said his name was Joe and that he likes to polay Tarzan at night in his park then the three sneaked up to the sleping big male lion and suddenly burst out into 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight'.

Jim Handy

I believe that land is set aside as conservation. Doesn't mean it can't be developed, however. Celebration and a portion of DAK impactedconservation land, and Disney purchased land in Kissimmee, which today is a wildlife management area called the Disney Wilderness Preserve in order to offset this development.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom