What is the fate of Carousel of Progress?

Lee

Adventurer
What are we going to do with Walt's body... Keep it in the same cellar??? Can't be... We need to go under ground... so the cellar has to go too...

That's already been worked out. His cryo chamber is going to be the centerpiece of the new "Wonders of Afterlife" at Epcot. :lookaroun

Lewis Carroll

Account Suspended
In a few years we all be saying... C.O.P. It was nice, while it lasted... but this new ride is much, much better...

Too bad there aren't any serious plans to replace C.O.P. with a new attraction and last I heard the Incredibles project may not even happen at least in tomorrowland.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It would be nice to see it gone! :lookaroun :lookaroun :lookaroun

In a few years we all be saying... C.O.P. It was nice, while it lasted... but this new ride is much, much better...

There's only one big problem with demolishing of C.O.P.

What are we going to do with Walt's body... Keep it in the same cellar??? Can't be... We need to go under ground... so the cellar has to go too...

Hide it while the new ride is being build??? Nah...

Those cryogenic tanks are huge... You can't simply hide those things...

It's very hard to hide such things from the public...
Wait a minute now I am all confused. Wasn't Walt's cryo chamber in one of the spires of the castle? Did it get moved and someone forgot to tell me?

Tim G

That's already been worked out. His cryo chamber is going to be the centerpiece of the new "Wonders of Afterlife" at Epcot. :lookaroun
So they're still are moving forward with those old plans... :veryconfu

OMG... So far for my drawing's...:cry:

Expo_Seeker40

Stitch, Monsters, Incredibles, etc

sure it is a new approach for the disney company, I still felt original new new ideas like AE and timekeeper were great and just another fresh generation of original ideas and attractions, but isn't the downfall of all these character rides is that they will eventually become less popular. I mean sure the true classic characters, princesses, and I think the rediscovery in pirates, will be everlasting, but toy story is not as near popular as it was, or say hunchback of notre dam, pocahantus, *i killed the spelling*, etc

Perhaps they plan on keeping the ride pattern, and simply changing it...IE alien encounter becomes stitch, or laugh floor could eventally become a new comedy character theme etc.

If they place the rides in an expanded tomorrowland, and keep the CoP, and have an uncharacter themed TTA, I am so for it, and very excited for a 50/50 sort of thing.

dazzlemepretty

Original Poster
I love this ride and I would hate for anything to happen to it. A referb would be good, but to take the essence of the ride away would be horrid. I love to listen to my mother talk about seeing the original version that Disney made himself at the worlds fair. This ride has many wonderful memories, for me, and I am sure for many other people.

Nemo14

I love this ride and I would hate for anything to happen to it. A referb would be good, but to take the essence of the ride away would be horrid. I love to listen to my mother talk about seeing the original version that Disney made himself at the worlds fair. This ride has many wonderful memories, for me, and I am sure for many other people.
I rode it at the World's Fair too (and Small World too!)

Nemo14

Which was better...SW now or then? that ride used to be the only thing in DW that would not make me cry (toddler age)
It was all neat then - Small World was fun, CoP was so amazing, and the Ford Pavillion featured Dinosaurs that eventually found their way to DisneyLand. There was also an animatronic Lincoln (at the Illinois Pavillion I think) that eventually went to DL too. It was just such an amazing place to visit - I went twice, once with our school band, then again with my family. I'll never forget it!

socalkdg

Stitch, Monsters, Incredibles, etc

sure it is a new approach for the disney company, I still felt original new new ideas like AE and timekeeper were great and just another fresh generation of original ideas and attractions, but isn't the downfall of all these character rides is that they will eventually become less popular. I mean sure the true classic characters, princesses, and I think the rediscovery in pirates, will be everlasting, but toy story is not as near popular as it was, or say hunchback of notre dam, pocahantus, *i killed the spelling*, etc
Nemo and Toy Story are still huge merchandise lines for Disney, right up there with the Princesses(all of them combined). A good ride will stay popular no matter what the theme. The theme gets people in originally, a good ride keeps them coming back.

Compare Peter Pan to Pinocchio at DLR. Both based on older movies, both popular movies, but currently Pan is much more popular the ride because its done better. Same thing with Buzz Lightyear and Stitch. Both popular movies, but the Buzz ride is much more fun, thus repeat visitors.

PaisleyMF

Disneyland has the Original Small World from the fair. We got the üpdated version of Carousel.

I wish and is just a wish that they took it back in time and ended as Walt originally desing it. will be a much better. and the Idea of adding the History as a video presentation on the cue will help a lot.

Magicot

Too bad there aren't any serious plans to replace C.O.P. with a new attraction and last I heard the Incredibles project may not even happen at least in tomorrowland.
GOOD! The Incredibles don't belong in Tomorrowland!:fork:
Quite true.
Last I heard there are 4 attractions on 4 expansion plots fighting it out at MK.
Verry interesting! Are any of these attraction ideas new or are we looking at clones yet again?

barkatozz

Last year was my first time EVER visiting WDW. I stumbled upon the COP due to the fact I was tired & hot & it had A/C & was a "sit down" attraction. Now I personally liked it & look forward to it on my trip next month. I went in it a second time because I thought it was cool. I didn't know much about the history of the ride either.........I just liked the attraction.....I wouldn't mind seeing them change it a little BUT it should NEVER be demolished or turned into a totally different project.

On a side note......I went on the Stitch ride as well last year. I don't know what was in there prior BUT the Stitch ride kinda sucked to me....it's def. geared towards little kids.

JLW11Hi

Meet the Robinsons, coming out in 2007, is about time travel...that could fit in nicely with Tomorrowland and still give Disney a chance to "synergize" their product.

5mins2disney

We went on COP on our first trip the last time, in the 2 prior trips we didn't even realize it was there, and walked past it dozens of times! I know everyone seems real sentimental about it, but as a newcomer, we got off of it and said, wow, what a complete waste of time THAT just was! It also made us late for dinner with Cinderella as the CM told us it was a 10 min ride, and it took longer.

I think tomorrowland and that area of the park in general could definitely use some updates, it's all SO dated. Space Mountain looks exacly like it did when I was a kid there in 1975!! Fortunately my kids are little enough to not really realize any of this, and still think it's cool, but COP they thought was kinda lame.

Sorry if this offends any of you, but we would vote for replacing it with something better!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom