What is the fate of Carousel of Progress?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Well one of them is already common knowledge for disney fans...it was The Incredibles ride for tomorrowland that was based around robotic arm technology that Tony Baxter modified for Disney's use. Thankfully, it seems that this project has been put on the backburner since tomorrowland is already set to get at least two new additions (Monsters Inc. and revamped Space Mountain). I'm sure Baxter's ride concept is amazing but I would rather it be put to use on something other than a pixar cartoon ride. Perhaps Harry Potter?...or something ORIGINAL?
I remember Lee mentioning the Inecedibles/Robo-coaster some time ago. Would the fantasy land attraction be the current mermaid lagoon concept of possibly the very blue sky Bald mountain?

MaddieMouse

We went on CoP once on our first family trip in July 2003. I was about 4 months pregnant and the heat was so oppressive, that we went on it just for the chance to sit in air-conditioning. When it was done, I turned to my husband and said, "Thank God that's finally over! That was so boring!" He had this huge grin on his face and he said, "I loved it! That was fantastic! You know how I love electronics and that was great!" So it's true that opinions are so different about CoP even in the same family!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I remember Lee mentioning the Inecedibles/Robo-coaster some time ago. Would the fantasy land attraction be the current mermaid lagoon concept of possibly the very blue sky Bald mountain?

I vote for the Bald Mountain concept, but that's probably only wishful thinking.

The mermaid lagoon idea just doesn't seem like it could take up all the available space at 20K. :veryconfu

tirian

You guys are guys are killing me! Could you shed a little light as to the 4 projects you are talking about?

As Lee already mentioned, there are so many concepts floating around right now that we may be speaking of different things. Plus, we're talking about Imagineering, a place where concepts come and go quite quickly. At one point, an E-ticket was nearly approved for the 20K area...and we all know that THAT never happened! :p Like Lee, I'm not an Imagineer, and I honestly don't know what attraction is the front runner right now.

One thing is certain: Disney wants a new E-ticket, preferably one that sets the MK apart from other Disney parks, although some of the ideas are merely updated concepts from other parks.

Ralph303

THE COP should never been torn down. Its a classic. It might happen thou. Look at what happened to Mr. Toad's ride. I think it still remains in Disneyland.

redshoesrock

CoP will be around as long as it is functional. The big problem with it is getting or finding parts should a major repair be needed; they just simply are very hard to find or don't exist because of how old the attraction is. And also considering the Galaxy Palace Theater is not up to fire code for any 'new' show to go in AND that park management will tear it down before getting the GPT up to code, it's just simply too valuable of a footprint to not put something new there. The CoP is living on borrowed time, between you and me, I would enjoy it while you can.

dxwwf3

One thing is certain: Disney wants a new E-ticket, preferably one that sets the MK apart from other Disney parks, although some of the ideas are merely updated concepts from other parks.

God knows the park needs it. Not from an attendance standpoint, but from a park quality perspective. I sure hope the park gets it.

Ok lets see, if I had to guess on ideas I would have to say something with Indy for Adventureland and then Mermaid Lagoon for Fantasyland or something along the lines of the addition they are adding over in Paris with the Crush Rollercoaster. But thats just pure guessing and if someone wants to PM me and tell me to shut up and not say another word cus I'm hot on the trail be my guest.:D

basas

Wouldn't it be GREAT to receive an attraction so amazing (and preferably unique) that we could once again start comparing MK with DL and TDL in terms of the quality/quantity of it's e-ticket attractions?

Dragonrider1227

I've never been on the ride, but something about having it removed doesn't sit well with me. I still say it should be moved to EPCOT. Considering the apporach Tommorowland goes for now, and what EPCOT's supposed to be, I think it would fit better there

KippWade

I've never been on the ride, but something about having it removed doesn't sit well with me. I still say it should be moved to EPCOT. Considering the apporach Tommorowland goes for now, and what EPCOT's supposed to be, I think it would fit better there

Have you been to Epcot recently? CoP definately doesn't fit into the forward thinking characterization that is currently happening at Epcot.

Now, if CoP would have been moved over to EPCOT when it opened, it would have fit right in.

Maybe Epcot can open an Attractions of The Past in Future World and have like a history of stuff and then COP as a ride at the end. It could replace that old Restaurant on the Wonders of life side of Future World, I believe it was call odyssey.

Epcot82Guy

Have you been to Epcot recently? CoP definately doesn't fit into the forward thinking characterization that is currently happening at Epcot.

Now, if CoP would have been moved over to EPCOT when it opened, it would have fit right in.

I actually think COP would fit in MUCH more in the current Epcot. Epcot isn't really looking that forward anymore. Therefore, COP would fit in well as a presentation of what we can do with imagination and ingenuity. Granted, the old attractions tended to showcase history more, so it would have fit, but having this anchor an interactive area about basic principles that have built progress (electricity, computer technology, plastics, etc.) would fit in quite well IMHO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom