What is the fate of Carousel of Progress?

meryll83

I'm sure I read on another thread somewhere something about how it would probably never be closed down because it was Walt's wish for it to remain.

(Just going on memory here, not sure what the actual quote was)

CoffeeJedi

I'm sure I read on another thread somewhere something about how it would probably never be closed down because it was Walt's wish for it to remain.

(Just going on memory here, not sure what the actual quote was)
That gets thrown around alot, but to my knowlege, no one has ever actually nailed down what the exact quote was, or where it came from. If its true, then there would be some sort of official company policy stating it.

Eyorefan

I can't believe people are still aginizing over the fate of classic attractions. If Mr. Toad's Wild Ride tought us anything it is that, no matter how loved or historic a ride is it can still be replaced with crap. I marvil at people who still call for the return of AE since it was replaced by Stich when Pooh is probably the worst ride ever in the history of Disney and it replaced MTWR, one of Disney's best!

So what is the fate of COP? It will probably be replaced.

tirian

I can't believe people are still aginizing over the fate of classic attractions. If Mr. Toad's Wild Ride tought us anything it is that, no matter how loved or historic a ride is it can still be replaced with crap. I marvil at people who still call for the return of AE since it was replaced by Stich when Pooh is probably the worst ride ever in the history of Disney and it replaced MTWR, one of Disney's best!

So what is the fate of COP? It will probably be replaced.

This is entirely a matter of opinion. Most people consider Pooh to be far superior to SGE in both concept and execution. Although I loved MTRR, Pooh is a worthy replacement, as opposed to SGE, which shouldn't even be compared to AE.

Are you thinking of the WTP attraction in Disneyland? That one is rather pathetic, but the WDW version is a solid dark ride. The Tokyo DL version is even better.

Edit: One other thing:
THERE ARE NO PLANS TO REPLACE THE COP WITH AN INCREDIBLES ATTRACTION.

Epcot82Guy

*tosses in a little optimism*

Maybe DL wants it back? :lookaroun :)

Actually, Matt Ouimet made several statements strongly hinting at that. That seems unlikely unless a better theater design can be devised or a memo accidentally slips through accounting... But, having it return to DL or move to another park (i.e. Epcot and have it anchor a section of Innoventions showcasing past technology in an interactive, MOSI-type way - but maybe that's me) would be a wonderful thing. Doubtful, but wonderful.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This is entirely a matter of opinion. Most people consider Pooh to be far superior to SGE in both concept and execution. Although I loved MTRR, Pooh is a worthy replacement, as opposed to SGE, which shouldn't even be compared to AE.

Are you thinking of the WTP attraction in Disneyland? That one is rather pathetic, but the WDW version is a solid dark ride. The Tokyo DL version is even better.

Edit: One other thing:
THERE ARE NO PLANS TO REPLACE THE COP WITH AN INCREDIBLES ATTRACTION.
Correct. After a little further reading the rumored project will take over the old skyway building and work around COP. Thank you for the correction.

dxwwf3

I agree. It would be nice to see a 70s/80s (before computers and the internet really took off) scene...followed by a future scene....

I'm with you. A 70's/80's scene would be fantastic and other cosmetic and/or storyline changes would be great as well.

Lee

Adventurer
Correct. After a little further reading the rumored project will take over the old skyway building and work around COP. Thank you for the correction.

Ha!
Seems to be an echo in here.:lol:

Indeed the concept I saw (which may or may not ever go through) did not require removal of CoP.

LaughingGravy

I made it my last ride on my last trip.
It was a business trip where I squeezed in a day to go to the MK by myself as my family was home in NJ. I was lucky enough to meet my brother and his family for the same day, since they happened to be on their DVC annual trip.
I spent most of the day with them, but knowing the park was closing soon and that I would meet them later on that night, I broke away to sprint across the park and make the CoP my last ride of the trip, after riding it 3 times that day.
I was teary eyed as I was leaving, not because I was leaving, but because it's such a great attraction. They were tears of joy.
I'm a huge Jean Shepherd fan, but the voice over Shep did doesn't sync up quite as well with the AA as the last incarnation by Andrew Duggan.
I like how Shep puts in his own reference to Schwartz and the Hupmobile, something true Shep fans would appreciate.
<dl> [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]<dt>Narrator: Okay Mother, you just iron the wrinkles out of my shirts.</dt> <dt>Sarah: Yes dear.</dt>[/FONT][/FONT] </dl> I do miss the comment about Sarah continuing to iron his shirts from the "Now is the Time" and the original version. Of course, I know exactly where it goes.;)
There's progress for you, the line being edited out.:cry:
I am really glad they kept Mel Blanc as Cousin Orville, even if they did feel the need to add toilet humor
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]GRANDPA: (He chuckles.) Hey Trisch, for a while we didn't even have a house phone. Not to mention laser discs and high def TV. Everything is automated these days, including...[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]From off stage we hear a toilet flushing. <o:p> </o:p> [/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]GRANDPA: (Continuing.) Well, including that.[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]COUSIN ORVILLE: (Off stage.) No privacy at all around this place!
[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]
Hey, do any of you here have an automated toilet?
If you do, I bet you're still not using laser discs, but a thing we call a DVD.
[/FONT]

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Ha!
Seems to be an echo in here.:lol:

Indeed the concept I saw (which may or may not ever go through) did not require removal of CoP.
Well your post from several months ago was where I learned of this rumor after all.:D

I only wish I had your connections. I can only retell things you have revealed to us at an earlier date.

LaughingGravy

Grandma in last scene

Just note. Grandma in the last scene wasn't blinking at all.
It's funny how creepy it is that she doesn't while everyone else does.

Expo_Seeker40

I'd much rather have the CoP expanded to include additional scenes, so that we don't destroy the first three original scenes.

What if it went 1890s,1920s, 1940s, 1960s (taking over the finale) and then took the unload theater and made it a bonus future scene...sort of like an extension of the 1964 show. So that would mean people would board the theater from the right while people are exiting to their left.

Tim G

I agree. It would be nice to see a 70s/80s (before computers and the internet really took off) scene...followed by a future scene....
It would be nice to see it gone! :lookaroun :lookaroun :lookaroun

In a few years we all be saying... C.O.P. It was nice, while it lasted... but this new ride is much, much better...

There's only one big problem with demolishing of C.O.P.

What are we going to do with Walt's body... Keep it in the same cellar??? Can't be... We need to go under ground... so the cellar has to go too...

Hide it while the new ride is being build??? Nah...

Those cryogenic tanks are huge... You can't simply hide those things...

It's very hard to hide such things from the public...

Nemo14

It would be nice to see it gone! :lookaroun :lookaroun :lookaroun

In a few years we all be saying... C.O.P. It was nice, while it lasted... but this new ride is much, much better...

There's only one big problem with demolishing of C.O.P.

What are we going to do with Walt's body... Keep it in the same cellar??? Can't be... We need to go under ground... so the cellar has to go too...

Hide it while the new ride is being build??? Nah...

Those cryogenic tanks are huge... You can't simply hide those things...

It's very hard to hide such things from the public...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

dxwwf3

It would have to be something pretty darn special for that to happen to me :)

First off, I hope the attraction stays but in an updated form. However, if you are right and it will soon leave, I hope you're above quote turns out to be accurate among most people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom