What is the best ride you have ever been on?

Mireille

Premium Member
Flight of Pandora to me has always been a one of a kind amazing experience.

Going back as a young kid, the universal studios Hollywood backlot tour, with the Jaws interaction, the flooding canyon, and the subway scene still sticks with me even though its probably been 30yrs since we were on it.
It's a hard question, but FoP is the only ride that I waited in line for 2 hours for to ride the first time, then the next time I was back in AK a year later, willingly waited nearly the same amount of time again. I mean... favorites are PeopleMover and Spaceship Earth, but I know I can wait until the lines are under 20 minutes to hit those.

JMcMahonEsq

It's a hard question, but FoP is the only ride that I waited in line for 2 hours for to ride the first time, then the next time I was back in AK a year later, willingly waited nearly the same amount of time again. I mean... favorites are PeopleMover and Spaceship Earth, but I know I can wait until the lines are under 20 minutes to hit those.
To me its the only ride/experience that I don't think there is anything else comparable. Roller coaster rides are generally all variations on themes. Drops, loops, speed, just a question of what theming you like and how much "action" you want. Even indoor dark water/omimover rides are basically the same ride, just a different theme, pirates, instead of ghosts, little mermaid instead of peter pan, instead of frozen. But FoP I just have never found a match/equal.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Spaceship Earth used to be my all time favorite ride. Until Cosmic Rewind.

Now they’re a short walk from each other! I love it. They are the perfect 1-2 punch combo.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I like Alpengeist, but Pantheon was amazing.

Pantheon was certainly something else. My 15 yo daughter has started riding big rides the last year or so and decided to ride it. She got off in tears screaming “I almost died!!!” 😂

I’ll have to take your word for it…as I’m over the maximum 😂

That used to not be a thing…but it’s happening more and more 🤬

Cariad

Nemesis is highly regarded because of its use of terrain and blind turns to get under the height restrictions.

I wouldn’t scoff.

Hard to build a 4 inversion coaster that can climb no more than 42 feet above park level
I suppose it didn't help that I went on it with a friend who was obsessed with it and made it out to be the greatest ride ever. It just felt very short. Now, Megaphobia the wooden coaster at Oakwood, my first ever rollercoaster has very fond memories, especially experiencing airtime for the first time.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I suppose it didn't help that I went on it with a friend who was obsessed with it and made it out to be the greatest ride ever. It just felt very short. Now, Megaphobia the wooden coaster at Oakwood, my first ever rollercoaster has very fond memories, especially experiencing airtime for the first time.
No I hear you…
Nemesis was also regarded because of when they built it.
It was early in the “new coaster renaissance” - 1994 - and most people hadn’t been on a ride like it. It’s also never really been replicated.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ouch. There are so, so many different types and genres of rides, I find it impossible to compare apples and oranges and come up with a single best or favourite...And indeed do you mean "best" as in a qualitative sense, or just favourite?? Perhaps I'm overthinking it!

(I often think that when people ask me what's the "worst" coaster I've been on. I guess what they mean is what's the most scary or frightening, which is meaningless to me as I don't find them scary. They're asking from their point of view, which, reading between the lines, I'd probably translate to "most exciting" and therefore to me it would be my "best" not the "worst". From my point of view, I'd probably reply that my worst would probably be something like Desperado, The Big One, or Barnstormer, but I don't think they'd find my reasons satisfying!). [Desperado hurts, Arrow really pushed the boat out on those terrible transitions. The Big One is boring. Odd that they got it right with the first, Magnum. And Barnstormer - just a kiddie coaster that doesn't interest me.]

I've ridden around 700 coasters, I can say that my nbr 1 is Nemesis. It's got past the point where I'm wondering if anything is going to replace it at the top of my list, it's very special to me. My favourite woodie is The Voyage. I used to have Top 10 lists, then it became top 20...then it becomes difficult to manage. Cosmic Rewind is certainly in my top 5 favourite indoor coasters, if not nbr 1.

And other rides. Well, there are dark rides. And there are many genres. My favourite haunted swing is Hex. My favourite flying theatre is Soarin.

Disney excels at dark rides and probably most of my favourites are Disney. Horizons, Spaceship Earth, Journey into Imagination (v1), Tower of Terror (is it a dark ride or drop tower??), Pirates California.

How on earth to choose just one. Do I prefer Horizons over Hex or Tower of Terror, and where does Nemesis fit in? I can't say.

The list of “worst rides” is probably a more interesting discussion…as is “best redos”

Worst has to be the arrow dynamics “hyperloopers” of the early 90s…great American scream machine, drachen fire, steel phantom, etc etc etc. just horrid designs from the go…

As far as “redos”….mean streak to steel vengeance is right up there…as is steel phantom to phantoms revenge…
Also at the Wood Is the classic Pippin to the T-bolt. One of the living pieces of history like the cyclone.

But the worst coaster ever…without frequent fatalities…
Batman and Robin the chiller.

My god…how many slow brain bleeds that caused will never be truly known

awoogala

My two faves right now are both from UNI.
1. Velocicoaster -huge thrill, but amazingly constructed and smooth. I have neck issues, so I stopped riding the rough ones like space mtn. a few years ago, but Velocicoaster does not hurt at all, and it is thrilling.
2. Hagrids motorbike. I think the ride is great, the little surprises are cool, the bike itself is neat, the animatronics are awesome, I just think it's a perfect little ride that straddles dark rides/coasters.
Ask me in a year and i might change it!

osian

Worst has to be the arrow dynamics “hyperloopers” of the early 90s…great American scream machine, drachen fire, steel phantom, etc etc etc. just horrid designs from the go…
You'll miss them when they're gone, lol!

I should be riding Steel Vengeance for the first time in three weeks. I'm already not a Ruin My Coaster fan anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom