What is the best ride/attraction in the world? (even non-Disney)

cheezbat

I have to say that I was so saddened by the loss of King Kong at Universal...but after my first ride on the Mummy, Kong was nothing more than a memory. I could ride that thing again and again.

My runner ups would have to be the Indiana Jones Adventure and Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. Both are amazing and so immersive!

Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, Amazing Adventures of Spiderman, Splash Mountain, and the Haunted Mansion are also worth mentioning.

David S.

Yes, it goes without saying but my intentions were to have a thread that "there is no wrong answer". Pirates of the Caribbean isn't thrilling but it's fascinating. I love the thrills too but I also love the rides that amaze you. Therefore to make this decision I have to ask myself if I had a choice would I want to be on an attraction that thrills me (pick a coaster) or one that amazes you every time you ride it (Haunted Mansion). None are wrong answers.

I completely agree with you. My use of the word "credibility" was NOT intended to imply that a coaster couldn't be a credible answer, I only said that because another poster implied that those who picked a non-thrilling ride were lacking credibility ourselves. But I COMPLETELY agree that there are no wrong answers. "Eye of the beholder", "different strokes for different strokes", etc :)

Re: The Beast, yes, it is very high in my wooden rankings as well! :)

hammysammy59

It always warms my heart to see some love for The Beast. Cedar Point is by a wide margin better than Kings Island, with a huge collection of incredible rollercoasters (Millennium Force is an orgasmic/religious experience)... but Cedar Point has nothing like The Beast. It's been covered pretty well already, but barreling through the forest--and this must be done at night--is absolutely insane. Huge drops, wild turns, tunnels tunnels tunnels, a second lift hill, one of the longest coasters in the world, all natural "theming"... There is no taming THE BEAST.

The Beast is maybe not the best attraction in the world, but likely my favorite coaster. It's hard to not just make a list of stuff. The Haunted Mansion is amazing... a fun mix of horror and hilarity, and an awesome combo of (at the time) cutting edge tech and older-than-dirt trickery. And the original Imagination (and the old school EPCOT experience) is what made me really fall in love with WDW and theme parks in general.

Scuttle

Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey or The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man. Too hard to choose!

Couldn't agree more. If your talking exciting thrill rides those two have to be in atleast the top 5. Forbidden journey has to be the best if your talking overall attraction. The theming ( which out did Disney) is incredible and the excitement factor is great to. I don't even like Harry potter, but this ride is phenomenal.

pumpkin7

The American Adventure?
Pirates of the Carribean?
Its a Small World?
Seriously??

At least Shiekra is a more credible answer, however is NOTHING compared to Oblivion at Alton Towers in England - the ORIGINAL vertical drop rollercoaster.

For me, nothing has came close to The Mummy at USF, not even Forbidden Journey. The anticipation I had before I rode The Mummy for the first time has not been matched anywhere.

lol, that was the last ride i thought would be mentioned here: oblivion! it was amazing in its day, sure, but now it looks old and decrepid and needs some love! they haven't changed anything about it since it's opening day, even the breakdowns lol.

my favourites are (in no order really)

1) pirates of the caribbean (MK) just love everything about this ride. always have. it's been my favourite ever since our first visit to the world.
2) space mountain (either MK or DLParis). they're both named the same, but 2 very different rollercoasters.
3) spaceship earth (epcot) just everything about that ride makes you go WOW.
4) tower of terror (MGM) visited this for the first time last year. what an epic ride. such a clever ride system.
5) the hulk (islands of adventure) well, who doesn't love a good rollercoaster that hurls you from pillar to post? :)
6) (technically not there anymore but still, i'm putting it in) back to the future, the ride. WHY they replaced this is beyond me (ok, yeah, maybe it was a ride for a 20 year old movie, but still!). i just loved this ride. the atmosphere, the fact that you were in a delorian, chasing biff around, and it had christopher lloyd in it... lol. simpsons replacement is OK i guess, just not the same. they even had a delorian outside the show building! like, WOW! :ROFLOL::ROFLOL: and i think at one point they had Docs Time Train too.

other rides of considerable fun:
1) Dragon Khan (Port Aventura, Spain). probably a little known theme park in the USA, but Port Aventura in Salou, Spain, is owned and operated by Universal. Although i don't recall seeing much Universal stuff other than Woody Woodpecker, it's a very nicely layed out, clean, fun little park. Dragon Khan is a massive rollercoaster, the biggest i've ever seen, and i think it did hold a few world records or two, and possibly still does! here's the blurb from the website:
'Hold tight if you dare to go on it, because Dragon Khan at PortAventura will unload his whole fury with eight vertiginous loops and 110 km/h of purest excitement. Only the bravest have been able to return from the Dragon Khan at PortAventura to tell of their adventure.'
2) Condor (Port Aventura, Spain) 100m freefall drop. what more do i need to say? it's freakin' awesome!
3) and i have to include this one because it's fairly tame, but still a fun ride: Enterprise (Alton Towers Resort, United Kingdom) http://www.altontowers.com/theme-park/thrill-rides/enterprise/ . it's basically a ferris wheel, but one where you aren't strapped in, but you're turned upside down and the force of gravity is the only thing keeping you in your seat...! it's awesome. plus, it's called Enterprise, which is an awesome name.

ok, that's more than one but still. :D

I have to say that I was so saddened by the loss of King Kong at Universal...but after my first ride on the Mummy, Kong was nothing more than a memory. I could ride that thing again and again.

OMG how could i forget about kong? now, that was a ride that completely nailed the atmosphere. i can still remember the smell of that ride, and how creepy it was wondering where kong was. another good ride with atmosphere is/was Disaster. i'm sure it used to be better, but it's another example of feeling like youre actually there, in a dangerous situation.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
I completely agree with you. My use of the word "credibility" was NOT intended to imply that a coaster couldn't be a credible answer, I only said that because another poster implied that those who picked a non-thrilling ride were lacking credibility ourselves. But I COMPLETELY agree that there are no wrong answers. "Eye of the beholder", "different strokes for different strokes", etc :)

Re: The Beast, yes, it is very high in my wooden rankings as well! :)

Don't worry I got what you were saying. I disagree with that other poster as well. Look no further than the posters picking Pirates on this thread. Not a lot of thrills there but the EXPERIENCE of that ride is practically peerless.

mickey2008.1

I live close to Cedar Point, and while the rides are thrilling, I will take theming over that. So for me, us, it's RNRC, ToT, and Space Mountain. Followed by Splash Mountain, HM, and cheesy Astro Orbitor with People mover.

invader

Best Coaster: Duelling Dragons / Kraken
Best Water Ride: Splash Mtn
Best Thrill: ToT
Best Dark Ride: HM

HPatFJ isn't worth mentioning any ride mainly focused on a screen and has no one direct theme doesn't deserve mention.

Sirenia

Best all over attraction: Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
Best Coaster: Montu (I love me some coasters. This is my absolute favorite.)
Best Water Ride: Splash Mountain
Best Thrill: King Da Ka (the only coaster I actually felt a bit scared on....so far)
Best Dark Ride: Haunted Mansion

Scuttle

I agree with everything you said except the thrill ride. I've never heard of King Da Ka. Everything else you said was right on the money. The Montu is great and mansion, splash and potter are easily the best for the categories you gave.

JT3000

Overall: Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man
Runner-up: Haunted Mansion

Dark ride: Haunted Mansion
Runner-up: Men in Black: Alien Attack

Water ride: Splash Mountain
Runner-up: Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls

Coaster: Thunder Mountain
Runner-up: Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit

Hybrid: Revenge of the Mummy
Runner-up: Tower of Terror

PhilharMagician

I would have to say either MIB, Spiderman or Splash Mountain(when everthing is working). It really is a tough choice.

I have not been on Forbidden Journey yet

Mickey_777

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Transformers: The Ride (opening next year Universal Studios Hollywood) is going to be the greatest attraction to date. Think of Spiderman at IOA on steroids...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom