What is the best ride/attraction in the world? (even non-Disney)

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Many great ones named so far :)

At this point I would say both Steel Eel at Sea World San Antonio and Ripsaw Falls at Universal. Not the most advanced rides but the most fun I have had with my kids so far was on these rides. BTR at MK is also a great one :)

Is it just me, or does the drop in Ripsaw Falls actually seem like its at a 90 degree angle? Anyway, this is a drop that is much steeper than Splash Mountain and you are guaranteed to get wet, maybe even drenched. The theming on Splash is better of course, no contest.

BigTxEars

Is it just me, or does the drop in Ripsaw Falls actually seem like its at a 90 degree angle? Anyway, this is a drop that is much steeper than Splash Mountain and you are guaranteed to get wet, maybe even drenched. The theming on Splash is better of course, no contest.

Not sure about the drop but it is fairly steep :ROFLOL: I do love theming on both of the rides. I love the look of the Ripsaw Falls from the walkway, it just looks cool to me :)

I think Universal did a great job on the theming of IOA. I was very impressed with it. It does not have that Disney magic though.

TP2000

My top 5 I have personally experienced are;

1. Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Crystal Skull, Lost River Delta (Tokyo DisneySea)
2. Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye, Adventureland (Disneyland USA)
3. Pirates of the Caribbean, New Orleans Square (Disneyland USA)
4. Soarin' Over California, Condor Flats (Disney California Adventure)
5. Scotch Whiskey Distillery Tour Whiskey Barrel Dark Ride, Scotch Whiskey Experience (Edinburgh, Scotland)

And the Scotch Whiskey Experience dark ride just edged out Horizons from EPCOT Center on my lifelong list. :wave:

BigTxEars

My top 5 I have personally experienced are;

1. Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Crystal Skull (Tokyo Disneyland)
2. Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye (Disneyland USA)
3. Pirates of the Caribbean (Disneyland USA)
4. Soarin' Over California (Disney California Adventure)
5. Scotch Whiskey Distillery Tour Whiskey Barrel Dark Ride, Scotch Whiskey Experience (Edinburgh, Scotland)

And the Scotch Whiskey Experience dark ride just edged out Horizons from EPCOT Center on my lifelong list. :wave:

Well who could compete with number 5? :ROFLOL: I mean it could be a guy pulling me in a Radio Flyer wagon across a parking lot singing Christmas songs and with the right "extras" libations it would be the best ride ever, if I could remember it the next day :)

TP2000

Well who could compete with number 5? :ROFLOL: I mean it could be a guy pulling me in a Radio Flyer wagon across a parking lot singing Christmas songs and with the right "extras" libations it would be the best ride ever, if I could remember it the next day :)

Yeah, but it's not a Radio Flyer wagon. They load you into an Omnimover type dark ride, where the vehicles are in the form of.... wait for it.... wooden whiskey barrels!

4119633104_e18bffe363_z.jpg

And then you enter the ride and meet your digitally projected host, an old Scottish guy in a tweed suit and a good beard named Douglas McIntyre who then takes you through the history of Scotch and the multi-step and loving process required to make good Scotch. And you are in this barrel, winding your way through the distillation process, and then the heavens burst forth with song and you exit to your left and are met in the unload area by a charming young Scottish lass in a plaid skirt who offers you a complimentary taste of Scotch before showing you towards the Tasting Room.

I am NOT making any of this up. This actually happens, in a fairly new Disney-esque facility called the Scotch Whiskey Experience right in the heart of gorgeous Edinburgh a short stroll from the Edinburgh Castle.

And it was good enough to bump Horizons out of the Top 5. :D

Prototype82

Yeah, but it's not a Radio Flyer wagon. They load you into an Omnimover type dark ride, where the vehicles are in the form of.... wait for it.... wooden whiskey barrels!

4119633104_e18bffe363_z.jpg

And then you enter the ride and meet your digitally projected host, an old Scottish guy in a tweed suit and a good beard named Douglas McIntyre who then takes you through the history of Scotch and the multi-step and loving process required to make good Scotch. And you are in this barrel, winding your way through the distillation process, and then the heavens burst forth with song and you exit to your left and are met in the unload area by a charming young Scottish lass in a plaid skirt who offers you a complimentary taste of Scotch before showing you towards the Tasting Room.

I am NOT making any of this up. This actually happens, in a fairly new Disney-esque facility called the Scotch Whiskey Experience right in the heart of gorgeous Edinburgh a short stroll from the Edinburgh Castle.

And it was good enough to bump Horizons out of the Top 5. :D

This is the greatest thing ever.

Scuttle

Not sure about the drop but it is fairly steep :ROFLOL: I do love theming on both of the rides. I love the look of the Ripsaw Falls from the walkway, it just looks cool to me :)

I think Universal did a great job on the theming of IOA. I was very impressed with it. It does not have that Disney magic though.

It definitely lacks the Disney theming magic. I was just there today for a few hours (I get in free for working at Loews hotels). I went there to ride forbidden journey and spiderman. I thought the same thing today looking at ripsaw falls. Anyway I forgot how good those two rides are. Nothing, and I mean nothing, at Disney can touch forbidden journey. It's soarin on steroids with incredible show scenes. I want to say it is as perfect as a ride can get. I might go back tomorrow! Lol.

Disneybear

Coaster - My favourite even after all these years is still Nemesis at Alton Towers. Also a mention to the start of Hulk but overall its Nemesis. Revenge of the Mummy is the best Hybrid by far.

Water Ride - As much as I adore Splash, I'll have to go with Blutos Bilge Rat Barges, coming from Scotland I dont mind getting soaked through, and to get soaked through in a climate as hot as Floridas I find it a bit of a relief, its a ride that causes me to giggle the whole way round.

Dark Ride - Men in Black, just ahead of Haunted Mansion and ET

3D Film - Its Tough To Be A Bug, a brilliant show very funny with great in theatre effects and the most amazing setting ever, its one of my favourite attractions overall

Show - Its a tie between Indiana Jones Stunt Show and Festival of the Lion King.

Overall - My favourite has to be Spiderman its simply the most immersive ride I have ever been on.

Thrill

The American Adventure?
Pirates of the Carribean?
Its a Small World?
Seriously??

Seriously.

To me, theme park attractions are an art form. From that perspective, Pirates of the Caribbean (DL) and Haunted Mansion (I'd say WDW if it weren't for the queue) are the two best attractions, in my opinion.

On account of the queue, I'll give the edge to Pirates. Haunted Mansion and Tower of Terror (WDW) are honorable mentions.

jlandis44

In my previous post, I forgot to mention my favorite "educational" ride...gotta be the Chocolate World ride at Hershey Park in PA...smells yummy, and they sometimes give out free candy at the end!

Jeff456

I think Spiderman would edge it for me I was blown away by it in 1999/2000 and rode it back to back numerous times, I still love it everytime I go on it!

worldfanatic

HPatFJ is almost the same ride as sum of all thrills

Differing opinions are differing opinions.
But this might be the single most unintelligent, ignorant, incorrect thing I've ever read on this forum.:dazzle:

You're joking, right?... Forbidden Journey isn't a casule and a TV screen. It's a themed open-aired flyer, the Kuka is moving on a track, in and out of dark ride sets with animatronics and large screen projections. How is that almost the same ride? It's immense.

Yes, seems pretty obvious to anybody who's ridden both, right?:animwink:

Kuka + Screen. Two main parts. Yes, there are animations and tidbits but it doesn't make it all great and powerful as what some people say it is..

And then you respond with that???

Weak.......just plain WEAK. :veryconfu

ManilaBen

Splash has a thrill element which I enjoy (the drops), but then again I am not always in the mood to get wet. In addition to the warm happy feeling, it also makes me laugh, due to the antics of Brer Fox and Brer Bear. And the "Welcome Home Brer Rabbit" final scene is just Pure Happiness!

Prototype82

Differing opinions are differing opinions.
But this might be the single most unintelligent, ignorant, incorrect thing I've ever read on this forum.:dazzle:

Yes, seems pretty obvious to anybody who's ridden both, right?:animwink:

And then you respond with that???

Weak.......just plain WEAK. :veryconfu
I'm going to have to agree with you there. :brick:

invader

Ride it more than once in a day and look around you. I don't get why every goes ga-ga over the ride, it's good but it's not all that amazing.

EvanAnderson

^Tell that to the ride programmers who spent a year of their life working on that ride. My friend was a contractor who got flown in from Canada to work on it. Universal paid for his housing to live here while he wrote the software for the programmers to then program the arm movements into the computer. Everything had to be done from scratch. That's quite a task.

But yes, if you look around the ride, instead of forward, you will see that's set in a big building. If you look around on Soarin, you'll see the workings of the ride, same thing with Imagination, The Seas, Spaceship Earth, Everest when it's inside, the Fantasyland dark rides, and even Mansion at certain parts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom