Trip Report What is that?! WDW with our toddler - May 2021

Hi friends! I know I said I wasn't going back until the pandemic changes were OVERRRRR but the pull of Disney magic was too great for our family to resist, and we wanted to get a trip in while the kid was still free. We got extremely lucky that our trip fell after the mask requirements were lifted outdoors! That was a HUGE win for us.

I'm still editing my photos, but wanted to go ahead and get this going.

Who: Me, my husband (R) and our daughter (LP). For this trip we'll pretend she's not quite 2, since I didn't put a mask on her 🤫
When: May 22-26, 3 park days
Where: Art of Animation, Lion King suite

ba1c0b75-c574-4d70-9430-8d3199b6c522.JPG

She's so darn cute, even when she doesn't smile!

The title is from LP's new thing, which is asking "what is that" CONSTANTLY. Half the time I have no idea what she's asking about, but there was plenty to tell her about at WDW!

Alright back to editing pictures, can't wait to share all about our trip!

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Am I first?

Proud Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

After all, I did get to hold her on her very first trip! :inlove:

I am in!! Sounds amazing!!

I'm in for the bronze!

Looking forward to the pics and the stories!

View attachment 561170

Can‘t wait to hear more 😊

She’s so cute!! Can’t wait to hear all about it!

Following!

Max

Happy Jennifer Aniston GIF

Yay!! This is a lovely surprise

Yay! I can't wait to hear all about your adventure!

GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

And 😍 LP looks so much older than in her last TR appearance. So cute!

Aww...Excited to hear about this trip! ☺️

Has it really been two years?!! LP is getting so big!.

(not so baby)E and I are in!
Woo Hoo Season 5 GIF by Friends

Am I first??? That would be a "NO".

But I am on the 1st page... That's pretty good for me!!
Jimmy Kimmel Abc GIF by Emmys

tumblr_nzjn3hGisw1rcmk8po5_r1_250.gif

I'm here for the participation award too. I can't believe how big LP is getting!

Following!!

So Excited Kermit GIF by MOODMAN

following!

Super excited to follow along!

I can't believe after all of the years of reading your reports, you now have a toddler!!! Can't wait to read about all of the fun!
dance baby GIF

Jimmy Fallon Yes GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I need this TR.... can't wait to read more!!!

Following!

Following along!

LP is too cute. Following too!

I'm in and following!

Following along!

Another instagram follower, here for the details!

Thank you all so much for following along!!!

Can’t wait to hear all about it!! LP is adorable!! Hope this was better than her last trip!!
So...soooooo much better than her last trip. So much :hilarious:

I'm here on the first page too! Wow! Your daughter is adorable. I just love the stage when they ask the same thing over and over and over........I think they like to hear their own voices. LOL. Can't wait for more.
I thought we had a little more time before this stage set in, but nope. It's still cute right now, thankfully. ha!

Loved following along on insta! Can’t wait to read all about it from the comfort of my home! Since that’s basically the only place we are allowed to be lol
Kelly
:cry::cry::cry: I feel for y'all. I wish I could wave my magic wand and make things go back to normal!!

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Travel Day - May 22

Let's get started with our travel day. Flight options from Memphis are very limited. Basically, I have one non-stop option and I'm always going to do that option because layovers are the worst. Our flight out on Saturday was at 6pm, which was actually somewhat convenient because LP got a full nap in before we got on the road.

We mistakenly planned to eat something at the airport. There was NOTHING open. No restaurants (there's only like 3 anyway), no grab and go, nothing. We got a bag of Lays from the magazine stand. Thankfully LP had plenty of snacks, and that's basically all she eats anyway.

So I'll go ahead and address this early on, LP is almost 2.5. I honestly don't understand how people are getting their 2 year olds to wear a mask, but I was just kind of holding my breath that I could pass her off as under 2. I tried to put one on her before security and she was not having it! So I abandoned that. The first time anyone said anything was as we were boarding. The person scanning boarding passes asked how old she was and I instinctively said 2 :banghead: She just said "She'll need to wear a face covering" and sent us on our way. I just said ok and did nothing. I promise I'm a rule follower, but I was not interested in fighting her to wear a mask for 4 days!

We boarded early, but then just sat there a while.

One of the things I got to keep her busy on the plane. She liked it! She went between this and the ipad basically every 3 minutes....for 1.5 hours. I was like, kid...PICK ONE!! :hilarious: Why do I have the one kid that doesn't get sucked into a screen when you turn on a show? It would come in handy on plane rides.

"What is that?"
"the wing"
"what is that?"
"the wing"
(repeat x200)

She discovered how to take selfies and that kept her busy for a while. One of them was a video and it was just her banging her finger into the screen. It was hilarious.

Got to watch a lovely sunset from the air!

We landed early but had no gate! We pulled into a gate on time. I sent R over to get Jersey Mikes because this was not going to play out like our last trip with LP where we had to use Uber Eats to get Qdoba at like 11:30pm. I saw that Landscape of Flavors closed at 10, and I didn't want to risk it. LP got on our first ride of the trip...

The fonorail!

We were waiting for our luggage when I heard an announcement that our carousel had changed, so I moved down. Then the driver we hired called me and said he was waiting at the other carousel. I told him our new location and he met us down there and helped us with our bags. Then we waited a couple of minutes for R to make it down with the sandwiches. Then we were on our way!

The driver was very professional and quiet. I got his name from a fellow forum member, but she doesn't really get on here much anymore. If you see this, Tracy, THANKS! He was in a Mears car, but I booked him outside of Mears and he seemed to prefer me pay cash. R thought it was sketchy :hilarious:

It was about 10 when he dropped us off (we're about 1.5 hours past LP's bedtime, but she was going strong!)

This lobby is so pretty!

We had to stop at the front desk to check in because we were using a passholder discount and our passes weren't active yet. Because of that (I think) online checkin wasn't working. This only took about 15 minutes, then we were on our way to our Lion King suite. It was not a very long walk at all! I pulled a newbie move and didn't have my magic bands out, so they gave us cards to use, which worked great to get us in the room. We quickly got LP settled down and put her in the pack-n-play in the bedroom area.

I'd placed an Instacart order earlier, so I called down to the bell services to have it delivered. I actually did this before we put LP down since that bedroom is where the phone is.

R and I ate our dinner and got settled on the pull out couch in the bedroom. We waited and waited and waited on bell services and they never showed. I finally gave up and fell asleep a little after midnight and I barely slept. I don't know if it was the bed or the fact that I was still somewhat listening for a knock at the door. I don't know what happened with that, maybe they knocked and I didn't hear it? Who knows.

Up next is our first park day!

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Park Day 1 - May 23

I figured LP would sleep in since she was up late. HA. She always wakes up early, so I shouldn't have been surprised. She woke up crying, I guess because she was confused, and that was about 7:30 (usually she's up about 7, sometimes earlier). She calmed down quickly and seemed excited to take on the day. I was up early since I didn't sleep well. I was ready well before she woke up, which was convenient so we could get our the door quickly once she was up.

Will she keep the hat on to protect her delicate white head? No, no she will not.

We headed to the bus stop about 8am and got right on a bus. It was a motor coach (is there another word for these?), which was common this trip since they were short on bus drivers. Don't know how long that will last. It was different, but not a big deal to us on the trip.

Like I said before, our passes were not active, so we headed to Guest Services to activate them. That process, wait and all was about 30 minutes.

For the curious, we were able to buy new passes because we cancelled ours during the park closure. I had to call, then they put my name on a list to evaluate our situation. Then they called me back 2.5 weeks later and took my money 🙈

Finally in the park about 9am! It was an hour after opening, but didn't seem terribly busy yet.

We walked the trails around the tree of life.

My little tourist 😍 My sister-in-law made her that dress like two days before we left. She kept saying she was going to make her some clothes, but I never pressured her and of course she mentioned it again at the last second. I felt bad, I was fine either way. But it turned out cute and it's long, so she can probably wear it again next year!

Up next: More AK

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
OH I forgot to mention, I called bell services about our Instacart order again once LP woke up. They said they'd bring it right up and it was there within 10 minutes. No excuses were made for the night before, which made me think maybe they did come and I didn't hear them knock? If that's the case, they really didn't knock very loud because I sat there listening for it for well over an hour.

Ok back to it...

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Park Day 1 - May 23

We headed over to Dinoland because Triceratop Spin was no wait and I figured that was something she'd like.

Lots of blurry photos this trip since I was trying to shoot one handed while pushing a stroller.

This first wait was probably the only wait of the trip where she didn't cry :hilarious: She did not quite understand the concept of lines! I was hoping after the first day, she would get it, but she actually got worse each day. Oh well. It wasn't terrible, she didn't like SCREAM. She just cried and whined (I hate whining so much, so I felt bad for people around us). Most of our waits were very short like this one, thankfully.

Here we go!! She always wanted to ride with me. Poor R.

This was my first time on this little ride.

I'd been texting with @Doc Disney because they were also in AK this morning. They headed over to us, and we all rode Triceratop Spin together. They got put on the opposite side, so no pictures, but LP was thrilled to ride again!

@Doc Disney suggested going over to one of the trails, so we headed to Gorilla Falls. The Safari line was kind of long, but we were hoping it would go down a bit.

It was fun seeing all the animals (we saw gorillas, but my pictures are very meh). The safari actually went UP instead of down, so we decided not to do that. We mobile ordered Satuli and had some time before our pickup, so we headed back toward Dinoland to ride again before lunch. Megan and fam were going to continue on to Dinosaur. We stopped for a few photos near Everest (notice my shirt features Everest!)

We saw a boat going by after passing Everest!

Lp loved it. She was waving at them.

Up Next: More AK

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Park Day 1 - May 23

One last ride on the dinos!

I went photo crazy, clearly.

Got a selfie in front of the Tree of Life...where you can't see the tree.

We headed to Pandora for lunch. Thankfully we didn't have to wait long for our order to be ready. If you remember last October we waited maybe 20 minutes for it to be ready, but I think it was an app glitch.

I got noodles and beef and the onion sauce. It was tasty!! R got the combo bowl thinking LP would eat some chicken. Nope. She tried a noodle and spit it out (she is a huge pasta eater, but I guess she didn't like the sauce). Wouldn't try the chicken. Tried the blue dessert and spit it out. So she had apple sauce...

We headed out after this and got this lovely sour face :hilarious:

We had a regular bus back and it pulled up quick. So far we were having good luck with the busses!

I spotted Goofy and Donald when we got back to our resort, so we went to say hi.

She wanted to go "through the bushes!!" to see them. haha! I had to explain that we had to wave from afar. Poor kid wanted a Goofy hug.

We got her down for her nap decently close to her normal naptime and she fell right to sleep. We actually ended up moving her into the bathroom right off the bedroom so that we could sleep on the good bed. I know...terrible. She doesn't care where she sleeps 🙈

I headed out to the Drop Off pool bar, which opened at 12 and unfortunately had a long line.

I got a Big Blue Ocean and got R a Sunshine Margarita. Both good!

Up Next: Some room photos for you with all our stuff in them...but I figured I'd share anyway :hilarious:

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
Intermission - AoA Lion King Suite room photos

Ok so obviously since we got there kind of late, I didn't take room photos. I decided I would take a few to show you even though our junk is everywhere. It's just nice sometimes to see the layouts when people talk about rooms, you know?

These were taken over the course of the days we were there, but I grouped them for your viewing pleasure.

The pull-down bed would probably have been more comfy than the couch bed, but it was nice having the table. And we already had it loaded down with stuff.

Behind me in this photo is that table/murphy bed.

This bathroom was off the main living area. This is the one we used, so as not to disturb the baby sleeping in the other bathroom :hilarious:

The headboard in the bedroom.

Curtains in the bedroom.

Unmade bed...much more comfortable than the couch bed.

These stools in the living room made for great footrests or side tables. Not at the same time...

This is LP's bedroom...I mean the other bathroom. I did use that shower once. It was nice!

Up next: Back to AK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom