What is pre-Christmas week like?

tonypitt

Original Poster
This is my first post to this forum after I've been reading here for several days. I hope this is in the right place.

Last week my wife and I visited WDW. I hadn't visited since I was in elementary school (20+ years ago), and my wife had only visited Epcot about a decade ago. Despite the heat, we had a wonderful time. We fell in love with the park and can't wait until we can go again.

On the plus side, we live in Florida. But, we live about an 8 hour drive from WDW. On the minus side, we're both teachers and so our schedules don't permit trips except at Christmas and the summer. (This puts us in a situation where we buy Park Hopper tickets.)

So...we're contemplating heading back to WDW the week before Christmas. Our schools get out Friday, Dec 17. We could drive to Disney on Saturday and then have Sunday through Tuesday or Wednesday for the parks (Dec 19-21 or 22).

Is this an extremely full time at the parks or will we be early enough to beat the Christmas crowd?

I did notice that for the sake of the FL resident seasonal annual pass the cutoff begins Dec 18. This would suggest Dec 19 starts a peak period.

SplashTrash6863

As far as I remember, the crowds should not be that bad. The week of Christmas is when people start getting there. I am planning a trip over there Dec. 17 -21, and should miss the crowds by a day or so.

Coree

We went last year arriving 12/13 and leaving 12/19. Peak season was beginning 12/19 and it had been getting gradually busier throughout the week we were there. I would say that the time you're planning to go would be great. You'll leave right as the real crowds are setting in. We're planning to also go back that same week this year we loved it so much. I highly recommend going!

wdwguru

I have been there the week before Christmas, and usually find it very nice until Christmas Day. Matter of fact we are planning on going this year for the week before Christmas and leaving Christmas Eve. Because most schools will probably have a similiar schedule, I anticipate crowds will be heavier than usual, but still lighter than the week between Christmas and New Years which is usually crazy. Hope this helps!

imamouse

Right before Christmas is the best time to go to WDW (IMO). Our family goes almost every year from the minute school is out on the Friday before Christmas, until Dec 22 or 23. Last year (or so), WDW changed the pricing season dates and much of this time period moved from Value season to Holiday. The trick here is that whatever pricing season it is when you check in, that's the rate you pay for your stay. So, if you can check in on Dec 18 (Value season) you'll pay the Value rate for your entire stay, even though the pricing season will move into Holiday before you check out (unless this policy changed in 2004).
I highly recommend going anytime in Dec up to Christmas Day. The week between Christmas and New Years is much too crowded to enjoy. Also, be sure to attend the Candlelight Processional in the American Gardens Theater. It's presented 3 times nightly and is very popular, so may be difficult to get a seat, unless you [advance] purchase the dinner and show package, which is what we do to guarantee seating. Best of luck with your plans! :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom