What is #Disney-Central and How to Use Guide

dixiegirl

question really to anyone useing mirc and the whole invision thing, is this an easy way for hackers and such to send viruses and trojon horse things??

DisneyJedi

Originally posted by dixiegirl
question really to anyone useing mirc and the whole invision thing, is this an easy way for hackers and such to send viruses and trojon horse things??

Only if you have auto-accept for files enabled (as most do - you don't want to be sitting in a queue for 20 hours and your turn comes up and you are not sitting in front of the PC to accept the transfer. It's a convenience setting to enable it).

It is fine having auto-accept enabled, but be mindful some shmuck could send you an virus-laden executable file. Just don't double-click on it. Make sure to delete it right away if the file is suspicious. Furthermore you can set Mirc to restrict certain file types by enabling only certain types to download, so if you're only downloading AVI files, then configure Mirc to only accept that type of file. Problem solved! Nothing else will get through.

Honestly in the 2+ years #disney-central has operated, NO ONE has ever sent me a virus. In fact, in the 10 years I have been using IRC, I have NEVER EVER gotten a virus through it. I've been using IRC since 1994 or so. Granted back then it was very basic chatting (no files), but still.

You really have nothing to worry about if you are careful or set your Mirc program to be restrictive to the files it accepts.

RU42

Original Poster
Originally posted by dixiegirl

Jedi's answer was about as good as it gets. Just a couple things to add:

Setting what type of files to accept is the way to go. I would include the following extensions: .zip, .rar, .mp3, .wmv, .wma, .avi, .wav, .mpg, and .doc. I think would cover 99% of the files. If you see something with a different ext then you could add that ext.

mIRC/Invivsion also already blocks certain ext too. I cannot remember the list offhand but scr and exe is on it.

And one final piece - Newnet (the backbone of our system as it were) also actively seeks out problem people. I cannot easily explain that but encourage you to take it for what it is, a good thing.

GIDRAC - I do not know of anyone that has served using Mac. I know Mac people can come on the site with a program that the name escapes me. I do not know if there are Mac programs that allow you to serve.

RU

gidrac

Originally posted by RU42
GIDRAC - I do not know of anyone that has served using Mac. I know Mac people can come on the site with a program that the name escapes me. I do not know if there are Mac programs that allow you to serve.

RU

Thanks, RU. I use both a PC's and Mac's. The best IRC client on the mac, IMO, is X-Chat Aqua for OS X. I prefer Mac's, but I do appreciate mIRC for the PC and Invision. I have yet to find something like Invision for the Mac. In any case, I do most of my downloading off the PC.

I have been researching IRC servers for the Mac and I might want to try serving on the #Disney-Central channel. The Mac is the best means for me to do it. So far, I've only experimented with something called, "Hotline".

I am a big Disney fan. I appreciate this channel and all who serve files and would love to be a part of it.

Thanks

RU42

Original Poster
Originally posted by gidrac
I have been researching IRC servers for the Mac and I might want to try serving on the #Disney-Central channel. The Mac is the best means for me to do it. So far, I've only experimented with something called, "Hotline".

Thanks

Please let me know how your Mac journey goes. I get questions on it from time to time and want to add information to the top of this post.

Thanks!

RU

RU42

Original Poster
FYI:

Post #2 on page 1 of this thread I have added to the common questions list numbers #11 to #14.

RU

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
QUESTION

I've downloaded a few videos, but every time I open them in Windows Media Player, an error happens and only the audio plays. Am I doing something wrong, or should I use another program?

xfkirsten

Originally posted by NemoRocks78
QUESTION

I've downloaded a few videos, but every time I open them in Windows Media Player, an error happens and only the audio plays. Am I doing something wrong, or should I use another program?

It sounds to me like you do not have the correct codecs installed to play the videos. A good portion of the videos in the channel are encoded in Divx format. Head over to http://www.divx.com to download the codec to play them. :)

-Kirsten

RU42

Original Poster
Yea, what she said :D

Audio without Video is 95% likely a codec problem. And as Kirsten pointed out, if it is AVI foramt, 90% of the time it is Divx. So I would say start there.

Also be sure you are using WMP 9.0 too.

If you still have problems let us know what videos you are looking at and maybe we can help further.

RU

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Nope, no more help needed! Kirsten and RU42, thanks for telling me about that. Videos are playing fine now in Windows Media Player. Thanks again! :D

RU42

Original Poster
Glad this was able to help you. It has now been added to the Q&A on the first page.

RU

tigger248

This thread has been very helpful to me. I've been trying for a while to figure out #Disney-Central with no luck. However despite the fact that the info helped clear things up I also have a question about invision. The link on page 1 to download wouldn't download right on my computer. I was wondering if there was another way to get invision. It just said that the zip file was corrupt. I don't know much about computers or this sort of thing so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

DisneyJedi

Try downloading the Invision zip file again. The file is on my ISP and I just tested it and it worked fine. Maybe try a new version of winzip when you unpack it.

DisneyJedi

Originally posted by CDS Disney
How can i tell what items i have in queue?

If you're using the command prompt (chat window) type in 'queues' without the quotes.

If you are using Invision, click the 'queues' button.

tigger248

I have one more question. I downloaded invision and installed it on my computer, but I can't seem to figure out how to open it/use it. :veryconfu I'm feeling pretty dumb right now so once again any help would be appreciated.

RU42

Original Poster
If the install went right, there is nothing you need to do. Invision is a shell for mIRC. Which means it uses mIRC but changes a few ways that it operates.

So, start up mIRC. Does Invision start with it - it should say Invision 2.0 over your speakers. Plus there would be in Invision option in the menu bar now.

RU

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom