What IP, in your opinion, was the original frozen/star wars/marvel? (AKA overused/overstuffed)

Goofyernmost

When DHS opened Roger was everywhere- he was a major presence on the backlot tour with the gag warehouse and dip mobile, not to mention you followed his footpints between the tram and walking tours. I also remember him being almost a member of the fab five appearing all over with mickey and the gang. I remember meeting space cadet roger in tomorrowland for example. He wasalso prominent on spectromagic & thats before toontown and cartoon spin in Disneyland etc. What was interesting was that by the time pop century opened he was viewed as nostalgia theming, which is a shame as he had a lot of potential if it weren’t for the legal wrangling
Yes, but that wasn't Magic Kingdom... MK is sacred ground.

Figments Friend

Two Disney IP's that immediately spring to mind when asked this topics' question are -
Winnie the Pooh and The Little Mermaid.
Both were insanely huge with the public in the early to mid 1990s due to the resurgance / remarketing of the Pooh franchise and 'Mermaid's surprise success at the box office.

I am not a Pooh fan by any means, so i found that particular popularity period from a few years back really annoying.
Everywhere you turned their was Pooh poo ...the Parks, your local store, on your tv, even at the movies.
There was even a breakfast cereal...'Pooh's Hunny B's'.
Yep, it was ....Hades.
Several Disney Parks opened Pooh themed dark rides following the madness due to the overwhelming merchandising cash cow it had become during that time period.
If your were not a pal of Pooh Bear and his friends, it was not a pleasant time.

The Little Mermaid had a similar run of success back when it first appeared, but i did'nt find it quite as 'annoying'.
Sure the IP had some welcome presence in the Parks, but the difference was at that time it was not so much 'overkill' as the other later animated properties seemed to become.
However, 'Mermaid' was still a big gun even back then and Company wide it was heavily marketed.
In the early 1990s 'Mermaid' was everywhere as far as multiple merchandise offerings, a animated tv series or two, several spin off children's music albums, a Disney On Ice show, you name it.
In later years it became more plentiful in the Parks, with mixed results in my opinion.
Now it's become a bit of a borderline 'overused' property.

Last edited:

spock8113

John Carter.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................NOT!

FettFan

When DHS opened Roger was everywhere- he was a major presence on the backlot tour with the gag warehouse and dip mobile, not to mention you followed his footpints between the tram and walking tours. I also remember him being almost a member of the fab five appearing all over with mickey and the gang. I remember meeting space cadet roger in tomorrowland for example. He wasalso prominent on spectromagic & thats before toontown and cartoon spin in Disneyland etc. What was interesting was that by the time pop century opened he was viewed as nostalgia theming, which is a shame as he had a lot of potential if it weren’t for the legal wrangling

Aye. Roger Rabbit's Hollywood was Eisner's idea for the Disney-MGM expansion.... but given the costs, the expansion was placed on hold and we got Sunset Boulevard instead.

That being said...I'm still hoping with fingers crossed for an actual "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" inspired ToonTown. Whereas Disney's ToonTown was more Disneyfied to host the Fab Five, and Magic Kingdom's ToonTown Fair was....dumbed down as a mini land for very small children, I want to see the actual "mature" Toon Town.

With a new incarnation of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, where J. Thaddeus Toad is ToonTown's fire chief.
Toad+and+Company2.jpg

"Mr. Toad's Firehouse Frenzy", perhaps?

And of course, ToonTown has to have a Mayor. Since Mickey is over doing his thing at the Magic Kingdom, that leaves on rather "lucky" candidate.
https://i1.wp.com//wp-content/uploads/2014/04/oswald-the-lucky-rabbit.jpg?fit=630%2C250&ssl=1

And ToonTown would be where we could M&G other Disney legacy characters. Horace Horsecollar, Clarabelle Cow, Peter Pig, Clara Cluck, etc.
2d6ae4425952e905003922b348720037.jpg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The Lion King...
Festival of the Lion King - AK
Legend of the Lion King - MK (including the sequence in Mickey's philharmagic.
Circle of Life an environmental fable - Epcot
The Lion King Celebration parade - Disneyland..

Absolutely...little mermaid probably second.

Frozen is making a case...cause i don’t believe it to have the legs they think.

Star Wars is heading there.
Look...they had Star tours - Minivan on a stick - to serve the biggest commercial franchise ever...for far too long. The IP was underserved.

For the last 20 years...the IP has been fractured and reduced by bad ideas - frankly...and now they want to build it up?

One of Eisner’s big failures is that mgm didn’t have a full Star Wars land by the prequel announcements...big mistake...but he couldn’t get along enough with George. And so it goes.

Cmdr_Crimson

I will also say that when Eisner was promoting D-ick Tracy it went everywhere in Hollywood Studios, Disneyland, and Including Pleasure Island just to cross-promote it..

Diamond Double Cross show at D-MGM & Disneyland
The Crimestoppers Stop on the Backlot Tour (2 Different Versions) You can find these on Martins's Backlot Tour Tribute..
The D-ick Tracy Crimestoppers Ride that Never happened..
DickTracyCrimeStoppersHandDrawingLarge.jpg

A Store on Pleasure Island related to the Movie..
DickTracyStore.jpg

Of course the Characters made appearances throughout the Park..
DbqZwzzWAAAd00P.jpg

And also making a world premier event at the AMC Downtown Disney theaters..
2bc50253e33e6f29cb0ca35bb2c3bb2a--downtown-disney-walt-disney.jpg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Star Wars is there. They're blowing their... watto, so to speak. Even I, a jaded Star Wars fan, am a little peeved at its omnipresence.

I’ve seen a million excuse - most repeated on the Star Wars threads on this forum - about what’s going on.

Let me ask you: is there ANYWAY that Star Wars fans could suffer from “fatigue” and are too overwhelmed to see two movies in 5 months IF the movies were good?

...not a chance.

Lots of smokescreens and excuses. George apparently didn’t like the first movies - probably because he really didn’t make them...

So I get why he went crazy and did what he did...I can see it.

But then the corporation took over...and they seem to not have the foggiest clue how to make things fans will like. It’s really spinning out. But what do I know?

Put a fan in charge. Now.

Ok...back to the subject at hand.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I will also say that when Eisner was promoting D-ick Tracy it went everywhere in Hollywood Studios, Disneyland, and Including Pleasure Island just to cross-promote it..

The Crimestoppers Stop on the Backlot Tour (2 Different Versions) You can find these on Martins's Backlot Tour Tribute..

DickTracyStore.jpg

DbqZwzzWAAAd00P.jpg

That’s an excellent one...I had forgot all about that.

a goofy username

crimestoppers would have been a very cool ride but the AAs of the surreal-face goons would have been, without a doubt, the scariest AAs on property. imagine careening through a dimly lit alleyway scene and coming face to ᶠᵃᶜᵉ with this

latest

FettFan

DickTracyStore.jpg

DbqZwzzWAAAd00P.jpg

Off topic, but did anyone else see Flat Top as Mad Magazine's Alfred E. Neuman?

latest
xxx-d01-mad-alfred-18.jpg

Cmdr_Crimson

Totally read that as “Finn and Tom”.

Frankly I’d just be happy with Aunt Polly’s reopening. 😉

You know what's weird....There was that odd obsession in the 90's with Disney and Mark Twain related films....Whatever Eisner was on...He was doing waaay too much of it...
51BKVtIvrLL._SY445_.jpg
61N3RSQFQBL.jpg
51GKTF796TL.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom