What IP, in your opinion, was the original frozen/star wars/marvel? (AKA overused/overstuffed)

TwilightZone

Original Poster
Basically, what IP do you think was the original overstuffed ip in the parks? Of course today's overstuffed ips are very different then how they were back then, but overstuffed ips still existed throughout the parks back then.

Launchpad McQuack

Even while everyone was still complaining about Frozen being everywhere, Beauty and the Beast had...

stage show (DHS)
meet & greet (Epcot)
table service restaurant w/ meet & greet (MK)
lead float in parade (MK)
featured in Mickey's Philharmagic (MK)
themed quick service/snack location (MK)
store devoted completely to its merchandise (MK)
interactive show/meet & greet (MK)
the main stars of a castle projection show (MK)

am I missing anything?

side note: I love most of these things.

graphite1326

The Lion King...
Festival of the Lion King - AK
Legend of the Lion King - MK (including the sequence in Mickey's philharmagic.
Circle of Life an environmental fable - Epcot
The Lion King Celebration parade - Disneyland..
I thought the same thing. I didn't think Lion King was that popular to have all the attractions. However, I really like the show at AK.

crxbrett

Aladdin also got a fair amount of stuff at the parks.

- Aladdin's Oasis at Disneyland
- The Royal Caravan parade at DL, the Studios and Paris
- The Magic Carpets in the MK
- The musical at the Hyperion Theater at Disneyland
- Arabian Coast at Tokyo Disney Sea
- featured in PhilharMagic
- Aladdin merchandise was plentiful at the parks from fall '92 til about June '94 before Lion King took over
- Iago was part of the Tiki Room UNM (shudders) along with Zazu from Lion King (mentioned above)

Last edited:

winstongator

Even while everyone was still complaining about Frozen being everywhere, Beauty and the Beast had...

stage show (DHS)
meet & greet (Epcot)
table service restaurant w/ meet & greet (MK)
lead float in parade (MK)
featured in Mickey's Philharmagic (MK)
themed quick service/snack location (MK)
store devoted completely to its merchandise (MK)
interactive show/meet & greet (MK)
the main stars of a castle projection show (MK)

am I missing anything?

side note: I love most of these things.
So is that overdoing it, or getting it just right?

winstongator

Basically, what IP do you think was the original overstuffed ip in the parks? Of course today's overstuffed ips are very different then how they were back then, but overstuffed ips still existed throughout the parks back then.
Star Wars (original trilogy) was everywhere when I was a kid. Toys, promotional drinking glasses from BK or McD, bedsheets. There is no IP that my daughters have near as many toys of as I did SW, and they have 2-3x as many overall toys as I did. i think the only IP bedsheets they have are Star Wars too!
https://www.ebay.com/i/202091826577?chn=ps

graphite1326

I think that it's #2 all-time among animated films in box office, adjusted for inflation. That's pretty popular!
It came out when my kids were going into their teenage years so it wasn't a big deal for them. I really don't know that much about it. Kinda like Frozen now. I have never seen it and know nothing about the movie or its characters.

So I get to skip the long line at Norway.

Dreaming of Disney World

It came out when my kids were going into their teenage years so it wasn't a big deal for them. I really don't know that much about it. Kinda like Frozen now. I have never seen it and know nothing about the movie or its characters.

So I get to skip the long line at Norway.
We love the Frozen ride and aren't even fans of Frozen! I think you should try it with a fast pass.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Pardon the allusion, but F'n Princesses everywhere! It's as if they had a ban on anything with a supposed Y chromosome and that somehow feudal society was something to be emulated (as long as you were near the apex of course)

Animaniac93-98

101 Dalmations, huh. That is not one that stands out as an all-time classic.

The movie was a consistent box office draw in all its theatrical releases, with the 1991 release making the equivalent of $132 million today.

In the 90s it was a big seller for the company with home video, the live-action remake (also popular), various merchandise and the TV show. That's the reason why it's featured at All-Star Movies (opened in 1999).

It's only since the early 2000s that Disney has mostly sat on the property and done nothing with it, though there's a new TV show coming soon.

TheDuke

There was way too much Bug's Life in the 90's expansion parks (it got a whole land in CA) just because the movie was new at the time.

Don't mind all the Beauty and the Beast stuff because those are fairly minor things and a lot of them are good. There was maybe one too many Lion King show.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I'm a distant grand-cousin of davy so I am a fan of a fan of my great-grand cousin.
Does that give me automatic disney street cred? Probably not. : P
FB_IMG_1527811796497.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom