What if the Expedition Everest car flew off the track?

Tom

Beta Return
This. Independent braking systems with stand alone power sources. Never happening.

Besides (and forgive me, because most of my memories of EE are vague because I'm usually concentrating on not getting ill), I don't think the train itself has enough momentum to continue up any further than it does now, does it? I may be thinking of another attraction, somewhere, but it comes to mind that you actually get pulled up a bit and held in place while the switchback rotates and confirms alignment behind you.

Regardless, there are more failsafes on a coaster than (just about) any other amusement attraction.

bubbles1812

I would be very very rich! That is if I survived...I'll just get Tinkerbelle to give me a lift. Think I will drag her on the ride with me every time I go now. :D

and @mikeymouse...3 out of 4 people make up 75% of our population...NO. WAY. My mind is completely blown ;)

Rowdy

Besides (and forgive me, because most of my memories of EE are vague because I'm usually concentrating on not getting ill), I don't think the train itself has enough momentum to continue up any further than it does now, does it? I may be thinking of another attraction, somewhere, but it comes to mind that you actually get pulled up a bit and held in place while the switchback rotates and confirms alignment behind you.

That's what I was thinking as well. I think you are remembering correctly, so I feel as if it is highly unlikely.

Tom Morrow

Correct. If you are sitting in the front row, you will notice many pairs of wheels leading up to the broken track. These booster wheels begin spinning at the same speed the train enters at, and then clamp down on the train and move it all the way to the broken rack, and stay clamped to hold it there while the track switch behind you flips. In addition, there are brake fins that clamp shut to help secure the train. If these wheels did not activate, your train would not have enough momentum to make it to the broken track. By default these require power to OPEN, so if power was lost, they would clamp shut.

Even if your train were to somehow overshoot, sensors would detect that the train overshot it's parking position and the ride would automatically emergency stop.

Larry Mondello

Well according to the fatal roller coaster rides annual,there is a 1/500 chance of this happening,so if you happen to be on it when the car does come off it's rail just sing this song." come fly with me,come fly let's fly away."

1/500 ?? Statistically, using those odds, EE would have gone off the tracks thousands of times already since it opened. Larry Mondello CQE

Kobe!!

Well according to the fatal roller coaster rides annual,there is a 1/500 chance of this happening,so if you happen to be on it when the car does come off it's rail just sing this song." come fly with me,come fly let's fly away."
So you're going to tell me that one car should fall off each day then? o_O

The Empress Lilly

LIES PEOPLE LIES

THESE PEOPLE WERE ALSO TOLD THEIR COASTER WOULDN'T SEND THEM FLYING

coaster-accident.jpg

alissafalco

Every single time I go on EE, I freak out at this part:

432096_3260459665790_770187128_n.jpg

My fiance made me ride in the front seat and it really freaked me out. So of course, I wondered, what if the car didn't stop? Would those tracks be strong enough to stop this car? Has anyone else ever wondered about this?

Seriously??? What do you think?? stupid question....

Phonedave

Correct. If you are sitting in the front row, you will notice many pairs of wheels leading up to the broken track. These booster wheels begin spinning at the same speed the train enters at, and then clamp down on the train and move it all the way to the broken rack, and stay clamped to hold it there while the track switch behind you flips. In addition, there are brake fins that clamp shut to help secure the train. If these wheels did not activate, your train would not have enough momentum to make it to the broken track. By default these require power to OPEN, so if power was lost, they would clamp shut.

Even if your train were to somehow overshoot, sensors would detect that the train overshot it's parking position and the ride would automatically emergency stop.

In addition to all of the above safety features. If somhow, the first car was to go over the end of the tracks (which it is not) chances are the entire train is going to go over. So it really does not matter where you sit. Either the first car is safe, or it is dragging the enire train into the abyss with it.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom