What I think...as of today...for now...

jt04

Yes, but they aren't just in Fantasyland! That first picture Krack posted is from the Studios!

Perhaps that is why I like Epcot. :lol:

I mean I see them but they really don't bother me. What can you do anyway? Perhaps spend more time in the ToT or RnRC queues :shrug:

BrerFrog

Perhaps that is why I like Epcot. :lol:

I mean I see them but they really don't bother me. What can you do anyway? Perhaps spend more time in the ToT or RnRC queues :shrug:

Wider walkways could work. Maybe the space wouldn't seem so crowded with strollers.

TP2000

I can't even imagine a scenario where they would have two rides based on the same theme in the same park.

Disneyland does this in several areas actually. Dumbo is represented by two rides right next to each other; Dumbo The Flying Elephant and Casey Jr. Circus Train, with Dumbo characters and music and theme elements recreated in both adjacent attractions.

Then there's the Alice In Wonderland dark ride that sits right next to the Mad Tea Party teacups, with the Mad Hatter hat shop wedged alongside the two Alice themed attractions. Tony Baxter has called this corner of Fantasyland an "Alice Miniland".

Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island references Pirates of the Caribbean across the way, with the Jack Sparrow stunt show firing cannons at and making use of the passing Sailing Ship Columbia. Etc., etc.

It's generally thought that sort of thing brings a richness of experiences to a park visit, and adds depth and interest to niches and corners of the park. It works very well at Disneyland at least.

jt04

Wider walkways could work. Maybe the space wouldn't seem so crowded with strollers.

My big hope is that they will create a wide enough avenue through the new FLE so they can change the parade routes. That would definitely help with the stroller traffic too.

Of course the FLE could still have plenty of secondary paths and passages but it would be great if the had a parade route also. Then they could finish Liberty Square someday the way it was designed originally. :)

Tom

Beta Return
Disneyland does this in several areas actually. Dumbo is represented by two rides right next to each other; Dumbo The Flying Elephant and Casey Jr. Circus Train, with Dumbo characters and music and theme elements recreated in both adjacent attractions.

Then there's the Alice In Wonderland dark ride that sits right next to the Mad Tea Party teacups, with the Mad Hatter hat shop wedged alongside the two Alice themed attractions. Tony Baxter has called this corner of Fantasyland an "Alice Miniland".

Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island references Pirates of the Caribbean across the way, with the Jack Sparrow stunt show firing cannons at and making use of the passing Sailing Ship Columbia. Etc., etc.

It's generally thought that sort of thing brings a richness of experiences to a park visit, and adds depth and interest to niches and corners of the park. It works very well at Disneyland at least.

Alright. I'll add a caveat to my original post....

I can't imagine them placing similar attractions so near each other in a Walt Disney World theme park :p

Bork Bork

Strollers were everywhere in May, Jt. They've always been an issue, WDW-issued ones or otherwise. It's just one more thing to consider in this project....

Maybe Imagineers will incorporate more "backstage" stroller parking areas like they did at the new Via Napoli in WS Italy? That was a great idea!

Dizmentia

If the Dumbo area contains a new merchandise location (a tent-like structure in appearance, I'd guess), it would be cool if they used the old "Dumbo's Circus" attraction concept to decorate the store (there's a picture of it in the Walt Disney Imagineering book). This would have all sorts of animated Disney characters performing in the circus---they could just be stationary fiberglass fixtures for the store, and it would be a nice little way of getting the idea in a park finally.

JustInTime

If the Dumbo area contains a new merchandise location (a tent-like structure in appearance, I'd guess), it would be cool if they used the old "Dumbo's Circus" attraction concept to decorate the store (there's a picture of it in the Walt Disney Imagineering book). This would have all sorts of animated Disney characters performing in the circus---they could just be stationary fiberglass fixtures for the store, and it would be a nice little way of getting the idea in a park finally.

That could be cool.

jt04

This is not AI just something I was wondering if they might consider.

I was looking at the FLE blueprints. It appears to me the path that runs between LM and the area showing the chateau/mill are wide enough for parades in addition to the bridge leading from BatB towards the castle. So they could easily stage parades from behind the soon to be former toontown past LM across the bridge and then turning east towards the teacups but that is not all....

if they reconfigured the raceway moderately, they could have the parade go past the teacups, and then turn south in front of the raceway grandstand! Then the parade could do a u-turn just past the grandstand and head north back towards the tea cups before doing a left hand turn crossing the T-Land bridge past the castle and down mainstreet.

This granstand seating could be ticketed or offered to resort guests on a first come/first served basis.

Crowds could be funneled onto the TL to Toontown path during the parade. The raceway could also close down during parades to eliminate the noise issue.

I think this will also solve the capacity issue.

BrerFrog

My big hope is that they will create a wide enough avenue through the new FLE so they can change the parade routes. That would definitely help with the stroller traffic too.

Of course the FLE could still have plenty of secondary paths and passages but it would be great if the had a parade route also. Then they could finish Liberty Square someday the way it was designed originally. :)

What were the original plans for LS? I am curious. :D

TP2000

I can't imagine them placing similar attractions so near each other in a Walt Disney World theme park :p

Caveat accepted. :lol:

However, it's exactly this sort of thing that makes Disneyland and Magic Kingdom feel and act so differently. It wouldn't be a bad thing if they started doing this at Magic Kingdom.

DisneyNut2007

If the ride building is the only structure they are going to have a ton of space to fill up. Much more than a shop or 2.The entirety of the FLE is going to need to be filled in due to all the stuff Lee says is now canceled.

Yet, they ARE NOT cancelled!

Lee is still lying to us all! :mad:

David S.

Caveat accepted. :lol:

However, it's exactly this sort of thing that makes Disneyland and Magic Kingdom feel and act so differently. It wouldn't be a bad thing if they started doing this at Magic Kingdom.

I agree, TP2000! That's why I've always preferred the Disneyland Fantasyland! Instead of Alice In Wonderland just being represented by the Teacups, which is just one very specific scene in the movie, DL also has the darkride which covers the entire scope of the movie - adding characters, settings, story, and musical elements from the film not found in the Teacups! This adds those layers of richness that you were referring to and gives a more "complete" Alice experience.

The same is true for Dumbo, being represented not just by his own signature ride, but by the charming Casey Junior Circus Train attraction, and the Casey Junior theme song, as well!

Another good example is Pinocchio. The Villiage Haus restaurant in the MK is very charming, and I love the way it tells the story of Pinocchio via the illustrations on the wall - but this is no match for the wonderful Pinocchio's Daring Journey dark ride, that DL has in ADDITION to the Village Haus restaurant!

As far as Snow White in the MK, I am going to take a wait-and-see approach about this rumored Dwarfs Mine coaster, especially since we don't have official confirmation yet that the Snow White dark ride is closing.

Maybe it will be a coaster/dark ride "hybrid", that really does tell the story of Snow White as good as the dark ride, and would make the dark ride redundant.

On the other hand, if it just focuses on the Dwarfs and their Mine - one SPECIFIC aspect of the Snow White story just as the Teacups are just one specific aspect of Alice - then in that scenario I feel that they should also keep the Snow White darkride, just as DL builds that rich layer of theming by having more than one attraction or location tell the story of their classic films.

PS. I think one example of rich, multiple layers of theming that works well in the MK Fantasyland is Cinderella. The Cinderella Castle is named for her, and the beautiful tile mosaic murals tell her story. This theme is extended to the nearby Cinderella Wishing Well and Cinderella Fountain. The fountain shows Cinderella in her "scullery maid" clothes, in a pose showing kindness to her animal friends. When viewed at just the right angle, a crown in the background fits her head. To me this statue represents that the qualities and beauty that make Cinderella a "princess" come from within.

The Cinderella motif culminates with her Carousel, in which 18 illustrations on the top of the Carousel tell her story as the ride turns.

bsiev1977

As far as the rumored Snow White coaster go, if the rumor is legit, I'd like to see something along the lines of Universal's Revenge of the Mummy ride. A coaster ride with lots of special effects and such.

AEfx

*IF* the SWSA is a replacement that also has a dark ride component superior to the existing one, I will not go bannanas.

If it's some outdoor coaster I'll picket that place until I am old and grey and die an unhappy old man at the gates asking for one last taste of the magic apple.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
If the ride building is the only structure they are going to have a ton of space to fill up. Much more than a shop or 2.The entirety of the FLE is going to need to be filled in due to all the stuff Lee says is now canceled.

So I'm expecting all kinds of new adds. :sohappy:

Hey, sounds like a good excuse to bring back the Fantasyland Magic Shop. (aka Merlin's Magic Shop in the past)

Why not bring back some more original merchandise shoppes, instead of all this "One Park" generic crap?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom