What happened to people?

MickeyLuv'r

I'm reminded of a song:

Kids!
I don't know what's wrong with these kids today!
Kids!
Who can understand anything they say.
Kids!
They are disobedient, disrespectful oafs!
Noisy, crazy, sloppy, lazy, loafers!
While we're on the subject:
Kids!
You can talk and talk till your face is blue!
Kids!
But they still just do what they want to do!
Why can't they be like we were,
Perfect in every way?
What's the matter with kids today?

- from Bye Bye Birdie, 1960.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Its become quite the clash of cultures these days IMHO. Personally my wife and I can easily pick out those from very different parts of the US and other countries just by their demeanor. It doesn't matter how expensive the trappings they wrap around themselves are, they are either decent to others or they are not.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I especially noticed this in people trying to fit everything in. Rope drop, merch, being first in line. I would really experience this at Cosmic Rewind where the guests would hardly pay attention to the pre show, talk over them, shouting inappropriate things in front of children, and rush to be the first ones to the doors before entering in the boarding area to prevent a longer wait time. And I especially noticed it when quite a few began not running, but sprinting to the ride vehicles, ignoring the cast members instructions to walk.

I’ve noticed an uptick in this behavior at Disneyland, mostly (seemingly) from Magic Key holders decked out in Disney gear.

I don’t get it. Why do you have to be the very first person to board a ride vehicle? Why not be present and actually enjoy the Stretching Room or the Star Destroyer hanger?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
With some faces glued to their iphones, ipads, PCs for many hours during the day , it does not surprise me. Social graces could be little to non existent.

Thats until its a parade, projection how or fireworks, then its those same devices held above their heads so they can by gosh capture another off-center canted series of images or video. Fireworks on the courtyard these days is a sea of devices and children above the average head level.

Mondo

I’m hoping that by going in September when the crowds are lowest, and having no interest in any of Disney’s newer rides, I can avoid having to deal with this kind of behavior.

I expect the entitled parents to be unavoidable, though. Had an incident at Universal a couple of years ago where some clown on a scooter with his toddler was shouting at us to get out of the way or he’d run us over. And another guy got mad at someone who apparently bumped into his kid, and then made a snide racist remark when the dude tried to explain himself with an accent. “English or not, buddy.” Lovely.

I expect most of the adolescent riffraff to be absent by mid September. But the parents with really little kids? I’m sure I’ll see something ugly.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

It is nothing new although it has gotten worse since 2020.

My oldest aunt was told unkind words at the Magic Kingdom in 2016 by guests because she used a scooter. She used a scooter because of a medical condition that made it hard to walk and is the same one she uses at her home. I was told her husband, daughter and her 3 granddaughters witnessed guests saying rude things to her in the park.

rcapolete

The price of the vacation accompanied by a complicated queuing system that rewards you for getting up before 7AM that costs money is a big factor. Further, ALL queuing systems, going back to fastpass, have changed the psychology of going to the parks. Everything besides rides is devalued to such a degree that only rides are of value. Disney’s own vacation systems reinforce this! Now, these new systems of organization may be necessary due to the increase in crowds and the extraordinarily long period without a new gate to spread them out, but they have changed the mind set of a park visit completely.

On a recent visit, I got together with an old friend who is local. He goes to WDW for a few days every 5 years or so. We went to the parks together in HS a lot (85-88). He wanted to go to the HoP, PotC, and HM. He joined our group at BoG since he wanted to see what the food was like. I got him in our boarding group for Tron, but his interest was less than minimal. Mostly we just walked around, shared memories, and laughed. It helped me realize what a rat race WDW had become. I’ve been in MK many times over a period of time that could be described as 5 decades. All these vacation planning “tools” push me towards a theme park commando mindset and I’m faaar more resistant to it than a once in a lifetime vacationer. The current vacation structure coupled with the cost has definitely had an impact on guest behavior, IMO.
I agree and find myself guilty of this in the past. Making our first trip in 7 years and I have made it I goal of mine to slow down and enjoy all aspects of Disney from the hotel to the parks and everything in between.

MickeyLuv'r

Fireworks on the courtyard these days is a sea of devices and children above the average head level.
I remember the frustration of going to WDW as a small child. In the 360 theater, I couldn't see the movie because adults blocked my view. I was not allowed to sit on the handrails or the floor, so the whole experience was frustrating.

Watching the fireworks is similarly frustrating for small children.

jloucks

I think most would agree that an individual is responsible for their own actions.

That said, I think some percentage of responsibility falls on WDW for creating a "powder keg" environment and then acting all surprised when there are blow-ups here and there.

My hypothesis is that you would see a 90% decrease in incidents if you kept crowd levels at a calming level. As opposed to the anxiety inducing level that seems to be the standard today.

JIMINYCR

I’m hoping that by going in September when the crowds are lowest, and having no interest in any of Disney’s newer rides, I can avoid having to deal with this kind of behavior.

I expect most of the adolescent riffraff to be absent by mid September. But the parents with really little kids? I’m sure I’ll see something ugly.
Good luck. Sept used to be a very low crowded time and everyone knew it. But now people have no hesitation about pulling their kids out of school for a lower crowded vacation. Sites are telling people to still target Sept so more and more bookings are occurring in that month. The thought is tht since school has just started they wont miss much by going at the start of the school year rather than later. So its ramped up the numbers.
Avoiding the newer attractions still doesnt avoid the crowded walkways, shops and dining spots.

Mondo

Good luck. Sept used to be a very low crowded time and everyone knew it. But now people have no hesitation about pulling their kids out of school for a lower crowded vacation. Sites are telling people to still target Sept so more and more bookings are occurring in that month. The thought is tht since school has just started they wont miss much by going at the start of the school year rather than later. So its ramped up the numbers.
Avoiding the newer attractions still doesnt avoid the crowded walkways, shops and dining spots.
Even if it’s not as calm as it used to be, September is still the best hope for avoiding crowds. I’ll be sure to do a trip report.

Goofyernmost

Was an issue way back when Dis started the original FP paper ticket kiosks. Standing in the standby line and watching the CM allow huge numbers ( I forget what the ratio was at the time of FP allowed to go before standby next went) of FP ticket holders to skip the waits. I remember furious guests yelling at the CM's about why these people get to get on a ride when theyve been waiting a long time. Even when the CM's explained the process that they were following, it didnt calm them down. Some resorted to jumping over the lane into the FP line expecting to get ahead and then when they reached the CM collecting the tickets they were turned away because they held no ticket.
When FP was first introduced, I hated it, still do, only worse now. Anyway I wrote a letter to Disney just basically saying what I just said, and pointing out how it felt to be standing in the heat for what seemed like hours and watching others smugly walk by. They mentioned the idea that we shouldn't be upset because we could have gotten a FP, which is one of the biggest lies ever told. Everyone could get one until the limit of distribution for the day was met and then there was no choice. I expressed that I had made, at least yearly pilgrimage to WDW and up until FP I never saw an angry face or heard people express how unhappy they were. Never, did that happen. There was one line and it was first come, first serve. Providing there was no breakdowns, we moved constantly as the attraction was loading. When you got to the front of the line, you were next. You spent much shorter times in the line and when you did it never felt like we'd never get there.

They called me from Disney and asked me to be more detailed, which was pretty much what I just expressed above. I did, however, add one more thing. If they were going to insist on two lines, FP and Standby, at least have the FP line out of sight of the Standby line. It was the visual of all those people legally cutting in the line that angered everyone. As you know they never took my advise and the anger and frustration in the Standby line has only gotten worse and there is no solution other than losing it all together and put everything on an even basis. When it was like that was when I fell in love with the place and couldn't wait to get back there year after year.

You say, that WDW is more crowded now, but I had been there when the area between Small World and Peter Pan was in gridlock because so many people were there. MK was always crowded and until 1982 it was the only park there and after that there were just two parks for quite a few years. Over the years the number of visitors increased but they also went from one park to four plus two water parks and other things. It is crowded now, but no more than it was back then.

Goofyernmost

It is nothing new although it has gotten worse since 2020.

My oldest aunt was told unkind words at the Magic Kingdom in 2016 by guests because she used a scooter. She used a scooter because of a medical condition that made it hard to walk and is the same one she uses at her home. I was told her husband, daughter and her 3 granddaughters witnessed guests saying rude things to her in the park.
For the first time in the 40 years I had made a visit to WDW, in 2019 I was forced to use a scooter. I can walk but only short distances before my back starts to scream at me. Likewise, I cannot stand either walking or standstill for over 15 minutes without massive pains in my lower back.

I dreaded using a scooter, but without it I would have had to stay home. To the credit of the guests, I heard no disparaging words and I was pleasantly happy and surprised about that. When I got more paranoid was, since the scooter fit in all the queues I could sit and ride it all the way to just before load. What worried me was that I could get off the scooter and walk relatively normally to board the ride. Since my problem had made me pretty much home bound for a year or so, I had also put on a little weight as well. But, to everyone's credit, either no one said anything or I didn't hear them, either way it worked for me. I had a great time and I know if it hadn't been for the scooter, it would have either been a very painful experience or it just wouldn't have happened at all.

BTW, just to insert a little reality into this... for those that choose to be judgmental about someone needing mobility assistance, up until one day, when I was 64 I never had a back problem at all and on that day I went from very mobile to my knees in pain in just one click of a second. This stuff can happen to anyone at any time, so keep that in mind the next time you decide to be judgmental or suspicious of another's, not always obvious, physical problems think about what it would be like if it happened to you.

Lilofan

While there are broader aspects to this, GoG is a bit of a special case. The rush at the end of the preshow has much to do with the design of the ride, and the fact that nobody has been stationed to monitor how people behave when exiting. HM and Dinosaur both have CM's monitoring guests as they exit the preshow rooms in an orderly fashion. Disney should have done the same for GoG.

I would also say the question asked in the preshow invites a (comical) response from the audience. And a joking response fits in with the GoG theming of the attraction. I'm not endorsing crassness; I'm just not surprised.

People have been aggressive at rope drop for a very long time.

It now costs $25 per person for a Rise ILL. If one's family of 6 arrives early, and can be quick at rope drop, that's $150 gets to stay in one's pocket. THAT is the problem.

Treat people like cattle all day, and they will act like cows. IMO, much of the change has to do with decisions WDW has made to pit people against one another.
Bad behavior is acceptable to some and looked the other way regarding influential and powerful figures in our country so nothing new on some peoples behavior.

mergatroid

I think there's always been 'those people' in theme parks. Whilst society is always evolving and there does seem to be a sense of entitlement and rudeness increasing, I think technology has magnified it somewhat.

Back in the day before mobile phones or the internet, if somebody decided they were going to get in somebody's face over line cutting it would remain between those in that area. Nowadays we're so used to seeing videos online of 'Karens' demanding service from a closed McDonalds and having a meltdown that I believe some people see this behaviour and thinking it's the norm, copy it. If somebody plays up in Disney World you can pretty much guarantee somebody will film it and when somebody sees it, the more stupid amongst them will probably copy it thinking it's acceptable somehow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom