What Extinct Attraction Do You Miss The Most

JohnLocke

I think Wonders of Life and Alien Encounter are my two most missed attractions, mainly because nothing good has taken their place. I went to WoL the last December it was open, and while it was clear it had seen better days, it still looked like it still could have some life in it with improvements, and I was glad I got to go on everything one last time and see some the attractions I either didn't remember or missed. SGE just doesn't come anywhere close to my memories of AE.

I think two more I would probably say are close to those are the original El Rio del Tiempo and the original Backlot Tour.

Who Wants to be a Millionaire and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride are definitely missed by me, but I don't think they top the other two, simply because the attractions that replaced them are in the same league or are better and in the case of Mr. Toad, there is still an attraction out there, even though it's in California.

I just can't really remember most of the other EPCOT attractions to really comment accurately on them.

wbc

I loved Horizons as much as anyone. However, it was reaching the end of its life. It was outdated. It didn't even have cell phones. It was almost funny in the last few years. It wasn't something that inspired people anymore. That's when it was time for Horizons to go. Horizons was all about inspiration for the future. I don't even know if it could have been updated without being overly tacky. Regardless, even if it were overdone, I doubt it would get the hour long queues like Mission:Space. Every once in a while I load up the ride music/narration mp3 from Horizons1, close my eyes, sit back, and imagine with a big smile on my face. :animwink:

20,000 Leages Under the Sea was junk. It was not worth standing in line for an hour to see some plastic starfish. Was not sad to see it go.

Alien Encounter was something I liked as a teenager. Much better than what is currently there.

Mr. Toads Wild Ride was definately fun, but at least the new replacement is a good attraction. I think it fits Fantasyland and the current generation of youngsters better than Mr. Toads.

meehanj

I miss the skyway tram the most (the aerial buckets). I loved the different perspective you would get riding over the magic kingdom by just 30 or 40 feet. You could see so much more from with a differnet view than you could ever see from the ground. And I have an AMAZING high def picture I took with my old regular film camera of an overhead shot of dumbo. The colors are amazing and i was almost directly overhead when I took that about a 13-14 years ago (?? guessing as to the time).

Disneybird

World of Motion was my favorite, followed by Horizons. I also miss Mr. Toad's Wild Ride for nostalgia sake, and The Skyway. And even though I ride Buzz Lightyear every time I go to the MK, I still like If You Had Wings more.

Does riding in the cabin of the monorail count?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I'm sorry but i can't just choose one, here are the following-

1- Cranium Command
2- Body Wars
3- Horizons
4- World of Motion
5- The Enchanted Tiki Room
6- Food Rocks
7- Kitchen Kabaret
8- Journey into Imagination
9- Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
10- Extra Terrorestrial Alien Encounter

David S.

This list includes both attractions that are completely gone, as well as those that have been replaced with something similar or modified.

My explanations ended up getting a bit long, so I will list the attractions first so those wishing to just see the list and skip the descriptions as to why each attraction made the list can do so.

I have listed 20 attractions - 18 that are no longer at WDW, which are ranked more or less in order of my favorites. Below that, I have listed one area scheduled for removal and another attraction that is on "hiatus". When/if these don't come back, these will be added to the list and ranked accordingly.

LIST OF PAST WDW ATTRACTIONS I MISS THE MOST

1) Mickey Mouse Revue
2a) Journey Into Imagination (original ride) and original Image Works
2b) Enchanted Tiki Room (original show)
2c) Country Bear Christmas Show and Vacation Hoedown
2d) Kitchen Kabaret
6) El Rio Del Tiempo
7) Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
8) 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
9a) World Of Motion
9b) Horizons
11) Pocahontas and Her Forest Friends
12) Timekeeper
13) If You Had Wings
14) Keelboats and Canoes
15) Wonders Of Life
16) Original CominiCore
17) Skyway
18) Original Main Street Attractions

Mickey's Toontown Fair - soon to be removed
Honey, I Shrunk The Audience - on hiatus and could be removed

LIST WITH EXPLANATIONS/COMMENTS/TRIBUTES

1) Mickey Mouse Revue - I'm surprised no one has mentioned this charming gem of an AA musical revue show that opened in Fantasyland with the park in October, 1971. This was my first introduction to most of these characters and songs, and was the beginning of my love of Disney park attractions, characters, and music. This was one of my "Big Three" as a child, along with It's A Small World and Country Bear Jamboree, and all three are still my all-time faves! (joined by the newer Splash Mountain). When I arrived at the park on my 1982 trip and found out the Revue had been removed and sent to Tokyo Disneyland 3 years earlier, I was crushed and devastated.

The AA musical revue-style show featuring singing cute characters has always been one of my favorite Disney park genres - the other being dark rides with singing cute characters (like IASW, Splash Mountain, and Figment). I lament the loss of the AA musical revue show genre; of the five main original shows in this genre, the original Tiki Room show now only exists at Disneyland, and Country Bears now only in MK and Tokyo (not sure if TDL still shows the original show). The remaining three original shows in this genre - WDW's Mickey Mouse Revue, DL's America Sings, and WDW's Kitchen Kabaret - sadly no longer exist.

While WDI has sadly apparently abandoned the genre, I am happy that they have developed their 3-D films to the point where they are essentially carrying the torch for this type of entertainment. Mickey's Philharmagic is IMO the "spiritual successor" to the MMR, and one of my current top (and all-time) favorites. While different, it does have it's own charm, cute characters with personality, and catchy music, making the Philharmagic a worthy successor to the late, great, MMR. I am also a huge fan of It's Tough To Be a Bug, which IMO lives up to the standard of the great, cute character-driven AA revues (even if it is somewhat less musical)

link to excellent article about the MMR: http://www.omniluxe.net/wyw/mmr.htm
link to another excellent article about the MMR: http://www.mouseplanet.com/9119/Mickey_Mouse_Revue
link to highlights video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj2e0k4Lvr0
(the only ones I could find with the whole show were in Japanese)

The next five could more or less go in any order:

2a) Journey Into Imagination (original ride) and original Image Works - The original was clearly the best. What's not to love about uber-cute Figment and his catchy theme song? Having Dreamfinder along and the wonderful original sets, script, etc. was the best and I'd love to have it back. The first version arguably could be considered the optimistic heart of the original Epcot, since "nothing is impossible when you use your Imagination". In the meantime, I do enjoy the current version much more than the second. Though not as good as the first, having the chance to see Figment still singing "One Little Spark" is good enough to make the current version my favorite ride at CURRENT Epcot, as it's the most whimsical ride in the park, IMO. (I also preferred the first Image Works, although I do enjoy the current version for what it is, since it features both Figment and "One Little Spark")

2b) The Enchanted Tiki Room (original Tropical Serenade version) - Much better than the Under New Management version, as it wasn't trying to be all modern and cynical and hip. Having said that, UNM wouldn't be as bad if Iago wasn't so obnoxious and disrepectful to the original hosts and their wonderful, catchy, original theme song. So I do visit UNM and block out the Iago parts. After he gets zapped, the rest of the show has kind of grown on me, just not as much as the original. I'd love the old show to come back, but in the meantime, I do enjoy my visits with beloved friends Jose, Michael, Pierre, Fritz, the other birdies, Cockatoo Chorus, Flowers, Tiki Gods, etc.

2c) Country Bear Christmas Show and Country Bear Vacation Hoedown - while the original Country Bear Jamboree show (currently playing) is my favorite of the three, I really miss the other shows as well. It would be a great idea to bring back the Christmas show during the holidays and also the Vacation show during summer vacation. This would give the show a lot of variety for repeat guests. At the very least, the should bring back the Christmas show, but then I guess management would actually be going against the MK policy of not making Christmas entertainment available during regular park hours for the "lowly guests" who don't buy a ticket to their pricey upcharge "after-hours" parties!:p

2d) Kitchen Kabaret - another late, great, cute, musical AA show that is sadly missed, and my second favorite attraction in the history of Epcot. I liked this show better than it's sequel, Food Rocks, but I enjoyed that one for what it was as well. Now they are both gone, and The Land has sadly lost a great deal of its charm and whimsy as a result.

link to complete show video, part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sYQFtQwJQw
link to complete show video, part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRy1r1wxTw

2e) (if Disneyland attractions could count, America Sings would go here!) Video pt 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1GuVelpDQs
pt 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lssN5C0fOo

6) El Rio Del Tiempo - When this existed, it was my 3rd fave attraction in Epcot, and moved up to number 2 after Kitchen Kabaret closed. The replacement, Gran Fiesta Tour, was hard to get used to on the first several rides, but now, I actually like it better, making the original version fall one place in my all-time Epcot rankings behind Gran Fiesta. Wheras El Rio cranked up the cuteness and whimsy only in the Small World-inspired room with the children, the new version with my beloved Three Caballeros characters cranks up the cuteness and whimsy factor throughout the entire ride! And while the lively and festive original song was extremely catchy and addictive, the lively and festive Three Caballeros theme song currently in the attraction is equally catchy and addictive. (I do miss having vocals in the "Small World" room, though). Even though in hindsight I prefer Grand Fiesta, El Rio is still listed here as it is an all-time fave that has been removed.

(El Rio/Gran Fiesta is one of the few examples where I prefer a modified version of an attraction over the original. Other examples include the current version of Snow White's Adventures with it's true-to-the-film happy ending over the darker original; the more humorous current version of Universe Of Energy over the more dry, corporate, commercial original; and the more mischevous, cuter SGE over the much darker, more sinister AE)

7) Mr. Toad's Wild Ride - this was charming, whimsical, madcap fun and I loved the uniqueness of having two tracks to offer two different experiences in parts of the ride. To be completely honest, I ended up liking Pooh a little more, but having said that, if Toad were still around, it would still make my MK Top 10 and Top 15 or 20 in the entire WDW. There's no rule that FL can only have 3 "first-generation"-style classic dark rides based on the Disney animated classic films - after all, Disneyland's Fantasyland has 5! (6 if you count the nearby Roger Rabbit in DL's Toontown). And they also have the wonderfully charming Storybookland and Casey Jr. outdoor attractions as well. I'd be much more excited about the new WDW Fantasyland if we were also getting Toad back and/or the Pinocchio and Alice dark rides and/or the Storybookland/Casey Jr. rides in addition to the Little Mermaid ride, instead of just meet-n-greets and a restaurant.

8) 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - This was a great, original attraction that should have never been removed. Some may feel that "fake fish" are "less relavent" now that we have The Seas at Epcot, but to that I would say the Jungle Cruise is still going strong, despite having the Safari at AK. Like Jungle Cruise, 20 K was more of a fantasy-tinged approach to undersea life - after all, there's no giant squid or cute sea-serpent in the tanks at The Seas! And it was very easy for my inner-child to use my imagination to get into the SPIRIT of the attraction. So "fake fish" were a non-issue! I am glad we are getting the Mermaid ride so that at least that corner of Fantasyland will no longer be barren and attraction-less. And the Mermaid ride appeals to me greatly, but I still miss the subs.

9a) World Of Motion - This pavillion's classic dark ride had more humor and whimsy than any of the other original Future World pavillion dark rides other than Imagination. I miss it very much, and prefer it over Test Track! I also equally miss "It's Fun To Be Free", it's extremely catchy and addictive theme song. And I enjoyed "The Bird and the Robot", a cute presentation that was part of the postshow, and which was also better than anything in the current postshow!

9b) Horizons - I really enjoyed this sequel of sorts to the Carousel Of Progress. I thought it had a lot of warmth and heart, moreso than the more straightforward Spaceship Earth, and as such was arguably the most definitive, optimistic "statement" of Future World, at least as far as the "futurism" angle is concerned. I would trade Test Track and Mission Space to get these two rides back in a heartbeat!

11) Pocahontas and Her Forest Friends - Though a recent removal of a relatively new attraction, I absolutely loved this show. "Colors Of the Wind", with it's beautiful melody and lyrics, is one of my all-time favorite Disney songs, and both it, and the show's message, fit the theme, message, and vibe of Animal Kingdom PERFECTLY. The animals in the show were EXTREMELY cute and lovable, and there is something that makes sense about having shows featuring ACTUAL LIVE ANIMALS in an AZA-acredited park about, you know, animals! Now the equally awesome Flights Of Wonder is the only show left at AK to actually feature real animals. Since the Pocahantas theatre is just sitting empty and going to waste, surely running the show would be better than that?!

12) Timekeeper - I loved this show, and the innovative combination of AA's with the Circle-Vision technology. It was charming, entertaining, and informative, and to my mind the most logical choice to occupy that space yet, as it fit the theme of Tomorrowland much better than the attractions that came before - and after - it. Having this replaced by my least favorite attraction in the history of Disney Theme Parks only made the removal sting even more!

13) If You Had Wings - I enjoyed the travelogue nature of this, which reminded me somewhat of the live-action segments of the 1940's Disney film, The Three Caballeros, which I love. I'm glad that some of this vibe made it into both versions of the Mexico boat ride. The theme song of IYHW was extremely catchy and addictive as well! Although I enjoy Buzz Lightyear (when I get a working gun), I like IYHW better.

14) Keelboats and Canoes - Sure, the view is the same as from the Riverboat, but having more watercraft, and a variety of watercraft, on the Rivers Of America greatly improved the kinetics of the area and made it feel more authentic.

15) Wonders Of Life - I really liked Body Wars. Cranium Command and the post-show exhibits were nice, too. Again, certainly keeping this open would be better than letting the building go to waste (other than as a special events center)

16) Original Comminicore - I prefered it to Innoventions.

17) Skyway - I do miss the fun of getting a nice aerial view of the MK. The one positive thing I can say about this removal is no longer seeing that the rooftops of buildings that look charming from ground level are really just a bunch of bland, modern warehouses!

18) Original Main St. Attractions - I was LIVID when they closed the Walt Disney Story. Now that it's essentially been rebuilt and updated at the Studios, I'm a happy camper that Walt is getting his due respect again. Likewise when they started showing the classic Disney Toons at Town Square Expo Hall, to make up for losing Main Street Cinema. Unfortunately, the cartoons are gone again, since Toontown is unfortunately closing and the new Mickey Meet-n-Greet will be in Expo Hall. The Penny Arcade was also replaced with more shop space, and the Main Street Vehicles don't run nearly as much as they used to, although I'm glad they still exist at all, as I love the Horse-drawn Trolleys.

Mickey's Toontown Fair - I didn't "officially" put this on my list since it is still with us, but I will be very sad when it closes and will be much higher on the list when it does. I think this section is criminally underated. I think Mickey and Minnie's Houses are very charming, and I love all the details, propping, gags, and overall whimsy found inside. Plus, this music loop is one of my favorites in all of WDW, as it consists of very catchy, whimsical tunes from the classic Silly Symphony shorts and "Fab Five" character shorts from the 20's and 30's.

Honey, I Shrunk the Audience - I didn't "officially" include this because it is supposedly coming back at some point in the future. If it doesn't, it will make the list, because I'm a big fan of this film, particularly the mice scene and especially every time Quark the dog makes an appearance!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom