What exactly ARE the plans for Pleasure Island?

Why don't they just fill in the space with a couple more Rainforest Cafes? Oh, wait - I forgot, they're putting in the T-rex ;)

An arcade would seem kind of redundant in the PI area. There's already an arcade at pretty much every resort (which have some pretty fun games). If Disney wants to pour money into arcades, they should update DisneyQuest (wasn't the last new thing to go in there the Pirates game about 8 years ago?) Seriously, the Aladdin Carpet game has some pretty archaic graphics for being in a "state-of-the-art interactive theme park".

If a bowling alley went in, I doubt I would ever go to it. I don't spend much time at Downtown anyway - I'd rather be at the parks :)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
At this point there must be some overall plan for what was Pleasure Island, at least a preliminary one.
They may not have all the actual players signed on yet but there must be something that says, in block form, 'restaurant here' and 'shopping here', etc.

:king:
In this stage the "plan" might not consist of anything more than a current site plan with a build to suit clause. Disney has made it pretty clear that they want to turn as much of DTD over to third parties as they possibly can. Until those third parties, especially anchor properties, buy into the area final plans simply will not exist. So far we have only heard of one restaurant committing to DTD. I am sure Disney has been courting and wooing investors but with the economy in the state that it is in companies are struggling to maintain their current properties and are more hesitant to invest in a premium property such at DTD.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You might want to open "Master Yoda's Star Wars Emporium and Jedi Academy".

Think about it.

:)
I was thinking more along the lines of the Mos Eisley Cantina with Watto's Emporium attached to it. Just think about it ...the cantina band, Rancor steaks, blue milk the possibilities are endless.

EpcotMark

I have heard that it may be turned into a theatre district type area were they move all the dinner shows like Hoop Dee Doo, etc and other things to create a family friendly nighttime area. The adventurers club could absolutely fit into this idea-and the sign isn't covered up yet to my knowledge!!

Best idea I have heard yet. Finally an idea with some substance to it. Thank you. :)

ThinkTink721

We were actually in DTD on the last night of PI.
We didn't stick around for the fireworks show.
Our boat driver said that it was being closed to make room for more family friendly restaurants.

:wave:

JLW11Hi

Best idea I have heard yet. Finally an idea with some substance to it. Thank you. :)

Ditto to the Dinner Show idea. Hoop dee Doo and the Polenisian Luau are very popular after many years, and having similar showsat Downtown Disney would offer more options, as well as be much easier to travel to. (No bus hopping from resort to park to resort)

shoppingnut

I just hope that their idea of dining isn't T-Rex because that I don't consider dining. And if I have to look at a Gap store in DTD, I won't be going on that side, I'll keep to the marketplaces because I don't want to see stuff like that there, I'm in disney and if I want to go to the gap, I can do that at home. Same with Jillian's and D&B, I can do that anywhere, why would I want to take time from my vacation to do something unoriginal that I can do at home.

Rosso11

Well if Disney is giving up on AC and only want outside vendors then how about trying to get the Jekyll and Hyde club from New York to open in DTD. For those who are unfamilar check out the website. http://www.jekyllandhydeclub.com/ or read about in this Jim Hill article from 2004 http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2004/10/28/487.aspx The Jekyl and hyde Club is based on AC and was created by ex-Disney Cast members. Any AC fan who has ever stepped foot in here will realize the similarities immidietly. It is essentialy AC with a different theme and with food.

trr1

i heard that there wasnt enough shops in dtd so they are putting more
shopping opertunites in because that is what the public wanted

majortom1981

Well if Disney is giving up on AC and only want outside vendors then how about trying to get the Jekyll and Hyde club from New York to open in DTD. For those who are unfamilar check out the website. http://www.jekyllandhydeclub.com/ or read about in this Jim Hill article from 2004 http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2004/10/28/487.aspx The Jekyl and hyde Club is based on AC and was created by ex-Disney CPs. Any AC fan who has ever stepped foot in here will realize the similarities immidietly. It is essentialy AC with a different theme and with food.

I have been here a whole bunch of times (only an hour train ride from it) and this would rock. The jekyl and hyde club is very very similiar. The actors tend to be broadway actors in between shows and some of them are very good. I feel though it is too similiar to the adventurers club and would be easier to just keep the AC. Maybe work with jekyl and hyde club to convert the ac into a restaraunt.(i mean a full blown restaraunt)

NotAZoo

The Jekyl and hyde Club is based on AC and was created by ex-Disney CPs. Any AC fan who has ever stepped foot in here will realize the similarities immidietly. It is essentialy AC with a different theme and with food.

Living my entire lifetime minutes away from Midtown, having passed the club on numerous occasions, I never knew that, and finally have a reason to check it out. I guess that is one of the joys on NYC...so much to do and half the time you don't even know its there. Thanks for the info!

Rosso11

Living my entire lifetime minutes away from Midtown, having passed the club on numerous occasions, I never knew that, and finally have a reason to check it out. I guess that is one of the joys on NYC...so much to do and half the time you don't even know its there. Thanks for the info!

Make sure to check out the original location in the village as well. They are both distinct places and they both have there own different similarities to the AC. In the village location you would swear your in the mask room at AC

liquid toez

I think a restaurant/bar owned by "E Brands" that was written about in the Orlando Business Journal on June 26, 2008 may end up on PI somewhere.

Here is an excerpt from that article:

"The firm in April also announced plans for a new 5,000-square-foot, two-story casual eatery in Downtown Disney featuring authentic Central and South American food, specialty tequilas, premium wines and live music, as previously reported by Orlando Business Journal."

On a negative side note:

E Brands was mentioned on the 5 o'clock news yesterday because they were accused of taking all the tips from their servers instead of just 25% at their Samba Room restaurant here in Orlando. Then, Bob Opsahl, news achorman, mentioned that they were going to open a restaurant at Pleasure Island.

sambres8

Hahha

I have heard from a well placed source at the Walt Disney Company that this is part of a three step process. This is the most up to date plan that Disney currently has.

1) Close the clubs down

2) ????????

3) Profit

As you can see, they have finished step one already.

That is hysterical.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom