What effect does the potential sale of the Busch parks have on Disney?

tazhughes

Original Poster
Does anyone have a link to any article that names Disney as a prospective buyer?

http://www.vagazette.com/news/local/va-news3_071908jul19,0,2122294.story

From the article:

"That leaves Walt Disney, which Williamsburg Planning Commission member Doug Pons and fellow hotelier Chris Canavos promoted in a television interview earlier this week. But Disney typically develops its own parks and resorts rather than buying up existing facilities.

With one near exception.

After the 1994 failure to build Disney’s America in Northern Virginia, Disney execs attempted to buy Knott’s Berry Farm in California, not far from Disneyland. The park’s replica of Independence Hall provided a good backdrop for the Disney concept, which was to tell American history.

The deal fell through, partly because of the logistics of transporting Disneyland guests to Disney’s America. Then the Knott family refused to sell, fearing changes Disney might make to the original park. Ohio-based Cedar Fair Entertainment bought the park two years later."

hokielutz

I however do not see Disney buying any of the parks...however if Universal could snatch them up at a good price I think it would be a great move for them.

I would think with all of the borrowed capital that is being thrown into the Potter project, they wouldn't have much capital/credit to cover the purchase of the Seaworld and BG of FL.

bugsbunny

The whole Disney America or whatever it was called was a tragic mistake. The BS about it being on battlefields and other stuff was pure crap. If Eisner would have just stayed his normal boorish jerk self where he didn't care what anyone else thought, we might have had that park built. But he "gave in" and figured it wasn't worth the legal fight.

Article on Wikipedia for those who want more details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney%27s_America

yankspy

The whole Disney America or whatever it was called was a tragic mistake. The BS about it being on battlefields and other stuff was pure crap. If Eisner would have just stayed his normal boorish jerk self where he didn't care what anyone else thought, we might have had that park built. But he "gave in" and figured it wasn't worth the legal fight.

Article on Wikipedia for those who want more details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney's_America
I am curious as to why you thought it was BS. Eisner was intelligent enough to know that there were some extremely powerful people and groups that ultimately blocked that project as it was. However, if they could have worked out the problem of location, then perhaps something could have been done.

Fun2BFree

Then the Knott family refused to sell, fearing changes Disney might make to the original park. Ohio-based Cedar Fair Entertainment bought the park two years later."

Ho-ho-ho... Cedar Fair made their fair share of changes too. At least any Disney changes wouldn't be huge steel coasters.

bugsbunny

I would think with all of the borrowed capital that is being thrown into the Potter project, they wouldn't have much capital/credit to cover the purchase of the Seaworld and BG of FL.

This is mentioned in the Disney Wars book and as soon as I can dig it out, I can tell you exactly what Eisner said about it. He didn't want to fight it out in court since the land owners were using the "Save Civil War battlefields!" sentiment that was ripe at the time.

The land owners or any historical society couldn't really prove that any battles were fought there or that even if soldiers had encamped there. They were going with the public sentiment and that "big corporate" was going to ruin the "simple rural and historic" community! It was BAD press, that's it.

And look how later on, the original land was used for a housing development! I think it simply came down to little America not wanting their community transformed into a huge built up area, like what happened to Orlando. They just happen to pick the right person to be their spokesperson who was riding the Ken Burns Civil War series coat tails.

yankspy

This is mentioned in the Disney Wars book and as soon as I can dig it out, I can tell you exactly what Eisner said about it. He didn't want to fight it out in court since the land owners were using the "Save Civil War battlefields!" sentiment that was ripe at the time.

The land owners or any historical society couldn't really prove that any battles were fought there or that even if soldiers had encamped there. They were going with the public sentiment and that "big corporate" was going to ruin the "simple rural and historic" community! It was BAD press, that's it.

And look how later on, the original land was used for a housing development! I think it simply came down to little America not wanting their community transformed into a huge built up area, like what happened to Orlando. They just happen to pick the right person to be their spokesperson who was riding the Ken Burns Civil War series coat tails.
The major reason that killed this project would probably not be mentioned in "Disney Wars". Quite simply, The Mellon family got involved. Eisner was smart enough not to be an enemy of that family. Unless you are Bill Gates, you do not want to mess with the old aristocracy.

Some of the land was used for a housing developement. A majority of the land that they wanted to use is still untouched. I also do not see how that is little America. It is 30 miles or so from D.C.

jhastings74

*BUMP*

This is funny...I mentioned this specifically just a couple of days ago (jokingly) in a thread that was closed ('Disney buying Universal'...we all remember THAT one...right?)

Guess I shouldn't have joked so quickly...

This was posted on Screamscape earlier today:

Busch Entertainment - (10/9/08) According to a posting at MiceAge, they mention that Disney is now also taking a serious look into purchasing the Busch Entertainment theme parks, with a eager eye towards the SeaWorld parks in California and Florida. According to MiceAge, they are especially fond of the San Diego park right now as part of their future plans to expand the Disney Cruise Line and offer new West Coast runs. They know they can easily stop in San Diego for a day of fun and send all the guests to nearby SeaWorld for a day of fun, increasing their own profits. Of course I also threw my own opinions about why Disney may become very interested in the Busch parks as well back on 7/15/08 that is worth rereading.

1WDWFAN

We all know that Sea World and the Universal parks are a constant bother to TWDC. The goal at WDW is to keep you "on property". Unfortunately for Disney, there are many other interesting things to see outside the gates.
I'm sure that Aquatica is taking a bite out of BB and TL... and I know for a fact that Halloween Horror Nights at Universal just es Disney off. I think that aquisition of the Sea World parks would be a smart move if they will sell the parks piece meal. I'm not so sure about the Bush Gardens parks though.
Does Disney really need another park in Florida? As for the Virginia location, I agree that another park closer to NY, PA, NJ, CT and others would surely put a damper on Florida attendance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom