What does this gesture mean??

Status
Not open for further replies.

21stamps

It was a reference to a method of smoking cannabis. I would see it on Facebook through friends of friends and it looked like more trouble that it's worth. One would also quote Cypress Hill lyrics without irony.

Oh wow. Please tell me that’s not where it originated from.. I thought it was some kind of stupid dance move.

21stamps

I have to admit I'm slightly concerned by the random floating hand in front of the picture. :eek:

Ha! There’s 3 rows of seats, I usually have the photo person crop the pic when we’re in the last seat. Sometimes the photos end up with floating arms or hands.lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Uncle Remus

Dabbing
Dabbing (1) - Vaporizing concentrated marijuana, usually in the form of wax or hash, by placing it on an extremely hot metal object called a nail and inhaling the vapors produced. The nail is usually heated via blowtorch. Inhaling this harsh and concentrated form of marijuana often causes one to cry and wipe one's tears away while coughing and passing a bong.

Dabbing (2) - Performing the dance move characterized by raising an elbow and tucking one's head toward that elbow while raising and extending the opposite arm behind. This dance move is often seen while dabbing (1) since the dabber immediately coughs into his inner arm and wipes his or her tears away while passing a bong.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Dabbing

"We got the whole world dabbing and they don’t even understand or even know what dab is. First of all, dab is a strong way to smoke marijuana, right, it’s the purest form of marijuana,” said hip hop performer Bow Wow in an Instagram video post. “It’s extremely strong, so the dance comes from when you smoke it you cough.”

https://www.csmonitor.com/The-Cultu...lly-need-a-dab-of-drug-culture-in-our-dancing

To be fair there are almost as many sources saying that it's all one big giant coincidence. Those people are usually entertainers who don't want to lose endorsements or those who just simply do not know the culture from which it was created and people who have never in fact dabbed themselves or have even seen someone dab. The old fashioned way. Not the nifty little pens they have now

21stamps

Dabbing
Dabbing (1) - Vaporizing concentrated marijuana, usually in the form of wax or hash, by placing it on an extremely hot metal object called a nail and inhaling the vapors produced. The nail is usually heated via blowtorch. Inhaling this harsh and concentrated form of marijuana often causes one to cry and wipe one's tears away while coughing and passing a bong.

Dabbing (2) - Performing the dance move characterized by raising an elbow and tucking one's head toward that elbow while raising and extending the opposite arm behind. This dance move is often seen while dabbing (1) since the dabber immediately coughs into his inner arm and wipes his or her tears away while passing a bong.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Dabbing

"We got the whole world dabbing and they don’t even understand or even know what dab is. First of all, dab is a strong way to smoke marijuana, right, it’s the purest form of marijuana,” said hip hop performer Bow Wow in an Instagram video post. “It’s extremely strong, so the dance comes from when you smoke it you cough.”

https://www.csmonitor.com/The-Cultu...lly-need-a-dab-of-drug-culture-in-our-dancing

To be fair there are almost as many sources saying that it's all one big giant coincidence. Those people are usually entertainers who don't want to lose endorsements or those who just simply do not know the culture from which it was created and people who have never in fact dabbed themselves or have even seen someone dab. The old fashioned way. Not the nifty little pens they have now

So I decided to google it.. and there’s this-
I think maybe some people who could be into some kind of drug scene (or Bow Wow fans, admittedly I don’t know who he is) may like to think it’s hilarious that “suburban kids” are doing the move.. but from most accounts, it sounds like it’s just a dance move.

https://www.thrillist.com/amphtml/eat/nation/hold-on-is-dabbing-actually-a-weed-reference-or-not

For the most part, Atlanta rappers like Migos(who are in the video above), Rich the Kid, PeeWay Longway, and Skippa da Flippa have been unofficially credited with bringing the dab from the streets of Atlanta to the masses -- though Cam Newton is the dude who really brought it to mainstream American consciousness.

But, as you can see (and hear) in the video above, Migos denies Bow Wow's claim that it has anything to do with drug use. But... they never really do say where it came from, or even where the name came from. Since I admittedly know as much about ATL hip-hop as a squirrel does about quantum mechanics, I turned to a source closer to the situation.

Uncle Remus

Yes. I'm aware. That's why I wrote "To be fair there are almost as many sources saying that it's all one big giant coincidence. Those people are usually entertainers who don't want to lose endorsements...." I'll also add or face lawsuits. I don't do either. Not a Bow Wow fan or even a listener of rap music. Just an avid reader and someone who studies pop culture and societies influence on it. There are ways to disagree with someone, like you are doing. I appreciate that. It's civil and we both bring sources to the table. The other guy immediately came across argumentative with the "fake news" comment without any discussion, viable reference or even a decent rebuttal. I've got zero use for those types. They tend to be incapable of learning anything new or that they didn't see for themselves on tv.

The OP asked what it was. To the best of my research and knowledge I attempted to offer an answer and at the very least a perspective that wasn't yet explored in the thread. I guess that simply isn't allowed.

Uncle Remus

@21stamps to be fair nobody is 100% positive of it's origins because nobody seems to be able to trace it back far enough. There are tons of theories out there. If you read the link I posted you noticed that. My favorite being "Some have challenged the link between dancing the dab and smoking it, saying that the shared name is just a coincidence, with some arguing that the dance was the innocent creation of Clemson University football coach Dabo Swinney, which Swinney denies."

All we can do is decide for ourselves. If you are someone who believes in massive coincidences than by all means it always was and always will be a dumb dance move like many others before it. If you are someone like myself who thinks its way too coincidental than you connect the dots. Admittedly I'm not a very trusting person so I take everything I see with a grain of salt and come to my own conclusion. All that matters to me is that I will not be participating in either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom