What does this gesture mean??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Obvious

Original Poster
I have been noticing some children doing this gesture when either a CM or their family is taking their picture. Noticed it twice today at DAK, and have noticed from time to time at the parks over the past year. Basically what the child does is instead of smiling and looking toward the camera, they lower their head into one arm bent while extending the other arm high up diagonal . It looks almost like a sideways Hitler gesture with their head turned the other way into a different arm, but I know it is more innocent than that. I finally asked a CM today, and she kind of rolled her eyes laughed and said it was harmless gesture and most times is kids with autism having a bit of fun for the camera. But that still does not answer my question as to what does it mean?? This has only been around for a year or maybe longer, and we have been visiting the parks much longer than this and never saw it happen. I am not complaining at all or annoyed by this, but very very curious as to the origin or meaning. I wish I had a picture to show of what I am talking about, but I don't want to be a jerk who takes pictures of others people children. My daughter told me she sees it in school and says to ignore it. But nobody knows what it means?? Apologies if this all sounds confusing but I really do know what I'm talking about. lol

Captain Obvious

Original Poster
Haha... that's called dabbing. It's sort of like whipping that was popular a few years ago. Just some meaningless gesture that kids like to do... I think it was started by Cam Newton, the Carolina Panthers quarterback
Oooooh kay. lol At least I don't feel out of the loop haha. It had me so puzzled as to if it was a Disney thing or what since that is mostly where I see it, but my daughter says it is frequent at school. Thanks.

nickys

Premium Member
Haha... that's called dabbing. It's sort of like whipping that was popular a few years ago. Just some meaningless gesture that kids like to do... I think it was started by Cam Newton, the Carolina Panthers quarterback

He certainly popularised it, but it originated in the Hip Hop music scene. No one seems quite sure who exactly, but it's certainly caught on around the world amongst school kids. Seems to be less prevalent now, although in my primary school in Scotland you'll still see it as a gesture of celebration - a "cool" alternative to clapping ;)

Cmdr_Crimson

Ah, yes nothing says Let's ruin our Disney Memories by having Characters....

Dabbing..
CXRGgHQWYAEAP9t.jpg

Tebowing....
tumblr_lubba0g7MI1r5ubj1o1_500.jpg

Or Planking.....
3e715d543f10751996570c9136bebb88--disney-go-disney-style.jpg

Winter

I have been noticing some children doing this gesture when either a CM or their family is taking their picture. Noticed it twice today at DAK, and have noticed from time to time at the parks over the past year. Basically what the child does is instead of smiling and looking toward the camera, they lower their head into one arm bent while extending the other arm high up diagonal . It looks almost like a sideways Hitler gesture with their head turned the other way into a different arm, but I know it is more innocent than that. I finally asked a CM today, and she kind of rolled her eyes laughed and said it was harmless gesture and most times is kids with autism having a bit of fun for the camera. But that still does not answer my question as to what does it mean?? This has only been around for a year or maybe longer, and we have been visiting the parks much longer than this and never saw it happen. I am not complaining at all or annoyed by this, but very very curious as to the origin or meaning. I wish I had a picture to show of what I am talking about, but I don't want to be a jerk who takes pictures of others people children. My daughter told me she sees it in school and says to ignore it. But nobody knows what it means?? Apologies if this all sounds confusing but I really do know what I'm talking about. lol
It means they're an idiot

(It's called the Dab, but it's extremely stupid. It's basically another really stupid fad)

gwhb75

wdw2016297583367489_7838686301_dsnyRes-base_dsnyLoc-reg.jpeg
wdw2016297583127975_7838382607_dsnyRes-base_dsnyLoc-reg.jpeg

21stamps

It's a gesture done by kids to prove they are at least a year behind the times. :rolleyes:

My kid has not eased up at all in the past year.. especially after a YouTube sensation came out with a “dab of ranch” dance move in a song.
Drives. Me. Nuts.

He dabs at Disney..
2EC48BAD-A0B6-4204-8FF7-503974B4D08E.jpeg

He dabs when we’re hiking..I gave in and joined him.
0BD5CD43-CF66-46AC-89F0-EE5B5C1CD299.jpeg

...and he dabs anywhere and everywhere.

42B1BD90-02BB-448F-ABE6-0539B9FAC7BD.jpeg

I think it’s extremely strange that the CM thinks it’s “mostly autism kids” doing it.
Interestingly enough.. last month we had a PhotoPass person who refused to take kiddo’s photo while he dabbed. She said “we’re not allowed to take photos of that gesture”
She is the only person that I’ve heard say such a thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom