What do you think of the EPCOT Central Spine redesign?

clemmo

Exactly.

They are taking the tunnels into consideration with this project. Currently scheduled to end mid 2020 though I can see it slipping. Right now it's an Epcot 40 deadline.

There was no update about the new IllumiNations. Currently scheduled mid 2020.
I see the new illuminations already slipped from 2019:(. What do you think will be the first project done? Space restaurant?

Haymarket2008

@marni1971 So Communicore is officially getting the axe? I'm seeing buildings hidden among the plaza in the concept art though. Some look a lot like the Discovery Island buildings. Despite not being the best proposal, are you somewhat optimistic about this new one?

cloudboy

For some reason an email about this thread popped up in one of my old email accounts. I have made maybe two posts on here since 2010.

Go back 5 or 6, may a few more, years ago, and I used to spend a good 30 days a year at the park (considering I live in New England that is a fairly high amount). The last time I was at WDW now is 4 years ago, and that was a one day, one park visit. Now I know I am going to be one of those Negative Nancy's, but what do people see in this design?

From D's perspective, I get a lot of it. One of the problems with the way FutureCore or whatever its name is these days is laid out is that it funnels people to the back of the park. Unless you go through the passageways to the side, you don't see the pavilions beyond. And even then, the pavilions as they currently stand, with a few exceptions, are closed designs. They are not very enticing to draw people into the shops and restaurants, which is really what Disney is selling here.

But what I see in these renderings is a cacophony of merchandising. I suppose I have come to terms with that is what WDW has become, even if it no longer appeals to me or in fact anyone who doesn't have kids or is one themselves. But it still, I think, should have some kind of optimistic theme, if not forward thinking. Forward thinking or even futuristic doesn't have to mean trendy or space age or even modern. It just needs to have an identity. Seems most of what I have seen in the illustrations so far are just temporary shelters. I think they need more individual identity.

Ignohippo

You do understand the power of merchandising and impulse buying holds with Disney management, right? Getting rid of the retail space held by MouseGear isn't in their best interests. Merchandising is at the heart of their synergistic plans/plots/schemes, it ain't going away. Besides, there isn't much that can go where MouseGear currently sits other than... retail or M&G's. I'll take the former.

"Mom, after riding Frozen Ever After, I want a Princess playset!" "Sorry, honey, they used to have that at MouseGear, so you'll have to wait until we get home to get it because I have to order it on the 'Shop Disney Parks' app."

Getting rid of the largest merchandising location in Epcot would go over about as well as a fart in church.

As for 2 story buildings... Well, it's the "blessing of size" they have in the swamps, don'tcha know? That's why they continue to add rides and attractions and don't have to rip out... oh wait...

It is if they put the new location smack dab in the middle of the park, on a corridor that everyone uses to go to World Showcase.

Cmdr_Crimson

I hate to draw this but I cant help but feeling like these structures marked with "X" will be gone or replaced:
View attachment 218477
:(

You also have to wonder if there is plans to open the pathways to FW East & West closer to the entrance...
Epcot_Improvements.jpg

It came from this post...http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/an-idea-to-improve-traffic-flow-in-epcot.886455/

Also on a sidenote.....Has there been any word on Colortopia's last day?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@marni1971 So Communicore is officially getting the axe? I'm seeing buildings hidden among the plaza in the concept art though. Some look a lot like the Discovery Island buildings. Despite not being the best proposal, are you somewhat optimistic about this new one?
Personally I don't care for the direction the project is heading. Too much will be lost, it's for the wrong reason and far from being more covered there will be a huge, vast open area like a desert, devoid of detail, buildings or emotion. I'll just spend less time in this park.

But that's just me.

Last edited:

IMFearless

Thing is, the buildings themselves are beautiful modernist structures...if the glass was not covered up with stickers and paint, if the paint whent back to white, if they sat on their original simplified landscape, you would see the monumental and clean futuristic lines again... the clutter and years of rehabs and additions have covered the very beautiful buildings that are there. They could if they wanted to, open them back up, scale back the landscape close to the buildings and let them be the breezy glass pavilions that they once were and were always designed to be...

I honestly agree - classic minimalist design can be timeless. Less is more in this scenario. Disney are very good at the immersive, busy, detailed landscapes and environments. I believe Future World would work better if it was the exact opposite to this though!

The open space should punctuate the iconic, simplistic but imposing design of each individual pavilion. The architecture and design of each should be allowed to stand on its own merit. Each pavilion should effectively be a visual weenie to the guest drawing them towards it with only a hint of what lies inside.

It is the layer upon layer of additions which have been gradually added to Future World which have diluted not enhanced the design. Each sign, paint scheme or other visual addition acts to break up the illusion.

It is the lack of stuff which makes the environment appealing. Much like a clean, modern, minimalist hotel room before a guest comes in to unpack their stuff. They look much better BEFORE you throw your junk everywhere!

I think an entire sweeping re-imagining of the entire area is definitely the way to go here - it has to be cohesive as a whole, but I really think less is more with this area of the park. Let World Showcase be highly detailed and immersive.

Future World's strength needs to come from its simplicity - the original design was spot on in my opinion. The attractions need updating but the layout and outside architecture needs to be restored not updated.

odmichael

One of my concerns is where will people be able to flock to when Epcot isn't 85 Degrees and Sunny? Those buildings have housed many people during thunder storms and removing them is almost a safety hazard because there's quite a walk between many of the attractions and nothing to cover you. While rain is tolerable, my question is more for situations of lightning.

Last edited:

Kman101

Personally I don't care for the direction the project is heading. Too much will be lost, it's for the wrong reason and far from being more covered there will be a huge, vast open area like a desert, devoid of detail, buildings or emotion. I'll just spend less time in this park.

But that's just me.

Understood but what do the buildings do for you now with a kaleidoscope paint scheme, covered by overgrown plants, closed off ... There's vast open areas now. More landscaping, fountains and greenery is a problem?

P_Radden

Understood but what do the buildings do for you now with a kaleidoscope paint scheme, covered by overgrown plants, closed off ... There's vast open areas now. More landscaping, fountains and greenery is a problem?
The architectural and structural aspects of the CC buildings is fine and still beautiful. The window films can be removed. The overgrown foliage can be cut back or removed. The buildings need to be cleaned up, repainted back to 1982 white and possibly reconfigured in certain areas, but they don't need to be destroyed.

Last edited:

Kman101

The architecture and structural aspects of the CC buildings is fine and still beautiful. The window films can be removed. The overgrown foliage can be cut back or removed. The buildings need to be cleaned up, repainted back to 1982 white and possibly reconfigured in certain areas, but they don't need to be destroyed.

I agree. I'd rather see them repurposed but I don't hate having more open space. I'm just not as attached to those buildings as some I guess. I feel like we should be happy with the ambition but we're clinging to what was. But I understand the idea of preserving them. I'm personally surprised they seem to want to demo and not reuse and repaint.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Believe me, the proposed plan has far more open area than now. And less net shade. If it happens you`ll understand. If it doesn't I`ll explain.

The paint job, overgrown foliage and areas closed off are TWDCs fault. And they have the power to easily fix it, instead of trying to justify a wholescale demolition of the middle of the park. And that is what is proposed. Again, I`ll be able to explain in greater detail in the future if anyone is interested.

I`ll just leave this here. This both stills exists and could exist again today. And look even better with minimal asthetic improvement:

ccore 1983.jpg

And look, it had goregous landscaping. Like the rest of the spine.

Kman101

Believe me, the proposed plan has far more open area than now. And less net shade. If it happens you`ll understand. If it doesn't I`ll explain.

The paint job, overgrown foliage and areas closed off are TWDCs fault. And they have the power to easily fix it, instead of trying to justify a wholescale demolition of the middle of the park. And that is what is proposed. Again, I`ll be able to explain in greater detail in the future if anyone is interested.

I`ll just leave this here. This both stills exists and could exist again today. And look even better with minimal asthetic improvement:

View attachment 218782

Agreed that would be nice. Why do they not seem to want to do that? If you can say? And I may very well dislike what they decide to do once we see it or get more firm plans. I'm trying to be a bit optimistic here LOL but it seems strange they won't just repaint and repurpose and still add landscaping, trees, fountains, etc. Guess it will "make sense" once plans come out.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Agreed that would be nice. Why do they not seem to want to do that? If you can say? And I may very well dislike what they decide to do once we see it or get more firm plans. I'm trying to be a bit optimistic here LOL but it seems strange they won't just repaint and repurpose and still add landscaping, trees, fountains, etc. Guess it will "make sense" once plans come out.
I`ll be able to say more when what finally happens is happening, if you underdstand. Frustrating for both of us I know.

britain

As a child of the 70's and 80's, I love old EPCOT. But I never cared much for CommuniCore nor Innoventions. They were always obviously exhibit space that felt temporary, cheap and noisy compared to the other REAL Future World attractions.

They were a thing to 'get through' rather than to get to. I personally would prefer walking through a large green park than a trade show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom