What do you think of the EPCOT Central Spine redesign?

sedati

Here's my quick take on what I'd like to see happen:

Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 2.16.45 PM.jpg

Remove the north half of Communicore entirely along with whatever can be taken off of Earth Station that isn't ride related.
Expand the southern half of Communicore (RED) Also, the southermost edge will have a high second floor that will offer Illuminations viewing from Future World. I've just shown an overall shape, but I think the design should be broken up to not look like a massive wedge. I'd like to see more glass, but also more ways to tie it all in to the landscape as the team in France did with Villages Nature.

The fountain/stage area will be expanded (BLUE), and the new area around it will house smaller buildings (sundries/coffee/snacks) and futuristic gardens.

New pathways will offer more direct routes to pavilions (YELLOW) Most important with the loss of half of Communicore and Earth Station we would gain some amazing new sight-lines of each pavilion and really show off Spaceship Earth. This will also make it far easier for guests (not everyone knows the park layout as we do) to find their way around using the tried and true visual/wienie approach over signage.

I know any change is blasphemy, but thoughts?

Creathir

Here's my quick take on what I'd like to see happen:

View attachment 260211

Remove the north half of Communicore entirely along with whatever can be taken off of Earth Station that isn't ride related.
Expand the southern half of Communicore (RED) Also, the southermost edge will have a high second floor that will offer Illuminations viewing from Future World. I've just shown an overall shape, but I think the design should be broken up to not look like a massive wedge. I'd like to see more glass, but also more ways to tie it all in to the landscape as the team in France did with Villages Nature.

The fountain/stage area will be expanded (BLUE), and the new area around it will house smaller buildings (sundries/coffee/snacks) and futuristic gardens.

New pathways will offer more direct routes to pavilions (YELLOW) Most important with the loss of half of Communicore and Earth Station we would gain some amazing new sight-lines of each pavilion and really show off Spaceship Earth. This will also make it far easier for guests (not everyone knows the park layout as we do) to find their way around using the tried and true visual/wienie approach over signage.

I know any change is blasphemy, but thoughts?
Honestly, I like the "gateway" effect the pinch point of SPE provides. The sight lines are hidden, as are direct routes, but it makes you feel like you're entering another world when you pass beneath Space Ship Earth.

Its the same effect as you get when you pass thru the tunnels under the railroad in MK, or the various pathways at AK.

It helps to draw you into the park, while enabling mystery and intrigue.

I feel like, while movement around Future World would be improved, the open sight lines would destroy this effect.

mikejs78

Premium Member
They'll always be necessary because there will always be plenty of people without smartphones.
I disagree... Probably 20 years from now, a Smartphone of some kind will be close to being a necessity. But in the near term you're right.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
...I know of 3 radically dirrerent plans alone.
. In that scenario...they sometimes (often) end up on the shelf somewhere ;)

I don't doubt they want to change futureworld somehow...I doubt their chops for spending the kind of money it will take. That was a half billion in 1979 dollars...I came imagine now. Yikes...even if they've chunked some of the side shows off already.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom