What do you think my chances are?

Figment632

Original Poster
I am a cast member at a TDS in Freehold NJ. Our store was closed for refurb last Feb and was supposed to reopen in June of 08. It has been pushed back three times and now they say it will reopen in June of 09. They could only place management in other stores do I'm am stuck running my fathers warehouse for his company. I'm still in college so it's not like TDS was going to be my career but it was a great place to work and I'm miserable working for my dad. What do you think the chances are that my store will actually reopen given the state of the economy?

THertel88

Well the 2 by my house closed down for good about 3-4 months ago. And I heard that alot were closing for good. But if yours has already started the refurbishment, I doubt they would stop and just close down

Figment632

Original Poster
Well the 2 by my house closed down for good about 3-4 months ago. And I heard that alot were closing for good. But if yours has already started the refurbishment, I doubt they would stop and just close down

Thats the problem they havent started yet because we had a huge store. Even though it was dated, it was the biggest in NJ and considered the states flagship store. The Freehold Mall in which it resides decided to take that space and slipt it between Coach and Jcrew. We were given a new space and it was a horrible spot. The old and moronic ownership The Childrens Place didnt care, but when Disney got us back they refused that spot. Now they are fighting with the Mall because in our original contract which is still valid ,if we were ever to leave that spot we were to be garrenteed an equal spot in return. Our store might never reopen and the Mall might be writing Disney a pretty big check.

raven

Well, I worked for the largest Disney Store in the Detroit area (there were 8 stores locally at one time) but when Hoop took over in 2004 they didn't want to pay the high rent so they moved us to a smaller retail space. When Disney bought the stores back we were told we would be staying...until the reality set in that we had 90 days left of the store.

So, that being said, I wouldn't trust anything right now from home base of The Disney Stores. It's a good thing Disney owns them again but it's bad that they weren't prepared and they are still trying to work out the kinks. I really don't think they will open many more stores being that they closed 3/4 of the ones that were open. :(

Do what I did...move to Orlando and work for the Mouse here instead!

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
How weird! I live within walking distance of the Freehold Mall. I miss TDS in our mall quite a bit. The replacement spot (the old CVS, right?) is indeed crappy...and I don't think there are any spots left that are comparable to the old store. For the first time in years, the mall is mostly occupied and the few spots that remain are tiny.

As for the economy, I doubt it will factory much in wether or not the store reopens. This area can definitely still support a Disney store...the demand is still there since area malls all have crappy TDS. I think it will all come down to wether or not Disney and the Freehold Raceway Mall owners can learn to play nice in the sandbox. I say take out that awful excuse for a Forever 21 and turn it into a Disney store!

Here is hoping that your store returns soon! Until then, I will do all my NJ Disney related shopping at the outlet store in Jackson. :lol:

Figment632

Original Poster
Yea it sucks and you know the worst part was it was the only job that I actually liked the people I worked with, my bosses were great and it wasn't like other places. These people weren't just there to collect a pay check, like me they just genually had a love for Disney. We wouldn't show the Hoop training videos one of the managers used to train CM in WDW so he would show them traditions instead.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Yea it sucks and you know the worst part was it was the only job that I actually liked the people I worked with, my bosses were great and it wasn't like other places. These people weren't just there to collect a pay check, like me they just genually had a love for Disney. We wouldn't show the Hoop training videos one of the managers used to train CM in WDW so he would show them traditions instead.

I always realized that about the Freehold store. I would go shopping in other TDS and the CMs were just average retail workers. Freehold was different. I attempted to work in the Freehold store last Christmas as seasonal help but my availability was really crappy at the time. I may still go and see if the outlet store is hiring for this year. :shrug:

Figment632

Original Poster
Try the College program for a while. It will help to fill your void.

I always realized that about the Freehold store. I would go shopping in other TDS and the CMs were just average retail workers. Freehold was different. I attempted to work in the Freehold store last Christmas as seasonal help but my availability was really crappy at the time. I may still go and see if the outlet store is hiring for this year. :shrug:

1. I've always wanted to but I think it's to late I graduate this spring with a degree in TV production and go into a field that is at an all time low in hireing.

2. I really believe that the CM in our store were so different because we had gone through traditions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom