What Do You Think is in Phase Two for Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge?

Tom Morrow

The fact that everyone (rightfully) hated the prequels and mocked the hell out of them until Disney's Star Wars films started coming out and then suddenly you have people claiming that they were actually just misunderstood films that were just shy of being cinematic masterpieces tells you everything you need to know about the Star Wars fanbase.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

The Fandom Menace is strong in this thread.
The fact that everyone (rightfully) hated the prequels and mocked the hell out of them until Disney's Star Wars films started coming out and then suddenly you have people claiming that they're actually just misunderstood films that were just shy of being cinematic masterpieces tells you everything you need to know about the Star Wars fanbase.

Pretty much. I hear everything Fandom Menacers say as if they are drunk in their moms basement.

Grotto123

I believe any consideration for expansion is going to solely be based on the success of the hotel... Me preferably would like to see star tours relocated to the land...giving it a much over do upgrade...but in reality believe they'll give it something else to make it different from Disneyland ..the biggest complaint I've read is the fact both parks got the exact same thing, so giving it a different attraction or dinner show should help divide the masses between the two parks

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Perhaps we wait long enough to get to the equilibrium point where an actual results driven opinion can be verified??

One caveat: the launch of both were vastly inadequate. “Down attendance” was never the goal for a $2 bil capex.

It would be like them increasing the price of character buffets to $200 a person (currently slated for 2024) and then the defenders here trying to indicate that it’s “driven by the market” when nobody shows up.

Let’s use our “big girl/boy” brains, huh?

I don't think that the investment in DL will draw any significant new customer numbers as its still primarily a locals park. Market is saturated.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The fact that everyone (rightfully) hated the prequels and mocked the hell out of them until Disney's Star Wars films started coming out and then suddenly you have people claiming that they were actually just misunderstood films that were just shy of being cinematic masterpieces tells you everything you need to know about the Star Wars fanbase.

So you are blaming a billion or so worldwide fanbase for “electing” to have problems with what they paid to see?

Or perhaps...just maybe...they made Sh?!T??

Franklin47disneyguy

Just rewatching everything from 1 to 8, Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones are by fare worser than anything Disney did with SW. Yes the Last Jedi is not a cinematic master piece but compared to Ep 1 & 2 it is. Seeing the Falcon the first time in TFA gave me and the other 300 people I watched with goosebumps. Rogue One was a very good movie and I'm excited for the Disney + series, Edward Mcgregor as Obi Wan was one good thing from the prequels. Very hyped for that series to. About GE very excited to visited next summer , so everyone hating about it: go watch the originals in your pajamas. Saves a few people in front of me in the line;)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just rewatching everything from 1 to 8, Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones are by fare worser than anything Disney did with SW. Yes the Last Jedi is not a cinematic master piece but compared to Ep 1 & 2 it is. Seeing the Falcon the first time in TFA gave me and the other 300 people I watched with goosebumps. Rogue One was a very good movie and I'm excited for the Disney + series, Edward Mcgregor as Obi Wan was one good thing from the prequels. Very hyped for that series to. About GE very excited to visited next summer , so everyone hating about it: go watch the originals in your pajamas. Saves a few people in front of me in the line;)

You have to weight the knowledge of the prequel strife heavier as an indictment of Disney...they KNEW the stakes going in. Hard to sweep that under the rug
I see more people calmly discussing the reasons that contributed to SWGE reactions. Recognizing those influences doesn’t automatically make someone part of any group.
People loving the ethos, pathos and history of Star Wars is not a conspiracy theory...we just want good Star Wars and we’re not getting it

Animaniac93-98

After watching the latest episode of Mandalorian, I want a speeder bike ride. Whether it's like Pony Express or Rocket Rods, I don't care.

It would also be nice to have 1 Star Wars ride in the park that does not have screens in it.

A relaxing, efficient transportation ride through the land would also be a major plus. Something that gives your feet a break, lets you appreciate the scenery from another angle and gives the land more life.

Tom Morrow

So you are blaming a billion or so worldwide fanbase for “electing” to have problems with what they paid to see?

Or perhaps...just maybe...they made Sh?!T??
If you claim that they're worse than the prequels then yeah, you're full of it.

When Disney announced they would be making more Star Wars films, the fanbase collectively groaned and said "well, as long as they're not boring, dull, lifeless, horribly acted, full of flat characters with no definable personality traits, full of uninteresting plots, like... trade disputes and other politics, full of boring, bombastic, poorly edited and hard to follow action scenes, full of overly perfect over indulgent lightsaber fights with no emotion behind them......... then I guess they'll be alright." And then Disney did exactly that and reminded everyone that Star Wars can still be fun (The Force Awakens) and also real and gritty (Rogue One), and the very same fanbase did a knee-jerk 180 reflex because the films were still flawed and began claiming that, actually, the prequels are good.

I'm not gonna deny that the prequels don't have a share of memorable and even fun scenes, but from a filmmaking standpoint they are objectively very bad films whereas the Disney Star Wars films can be described as "competent filmmaking albeit with some questionable decisions".

Last edited:

SCOTLORR

1575738966650.png

For sake of the argument at hand the caption of the meme should really be:
Everyone: Hating on the sequel trilogy
In all seriousness though, I wish people would just take every story in the universe for what it is: an extension of the full story that we're simply lucky to have as new content. I love the sequel trilogy just as much as the prequel and original trilogies. At the end of the day, they're just movies that allow us to suspend reality for 2+ hours each time we watch one. If you think about it, we're lucky as fans to have a movie universe like Star Wars. Alright. Romanticizing over. carry on with the hate.
edit: spelling

doctornick

After watching the latest episode of Mandalorian, I want a speeder bike ride. Whether it's like Pony Express or Rocket Rods, I don't care.

It would also be nice to have 1 Star Wars ride in the park that does not have screens in it.

I guess you could do some sort of roller coaster through a landscape (kind of like BTMRR) but it's tough make the background distinctly Star Wars without some video. I guess maybe you put some droids along the route?

A relaxing, efficient transportation ride through the land would also be a major plus. Something that gives your feet a break, lets you appreciate the scenery from another angle and gives the land more life.

When the plans for the Bantha/Dewback ride leaked, I think is wasn't all that special looking. While having the animals to ride would be interesting, I'd be fine with a more traditional vehicle (landspeeder, maybe?) but would have prefered something that traveled around the entire land. An actual SW:GE version of the Peoplemover. Having such a ride going inside buildings and/or spires would have been pretty cool, added kinetics and allowed an opportunity to provide audio commentary to guests about the land for the backstory.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If you claim that they're worse than the prequels then yeah, you're full of it.

When Disney announced they would be making more Star Wars films, the fanbase collectively groaned and said "well, as long as they're not boring, dull, lifeless, horribly acted, full of flat characters with no definable personality traits, full of uninteresting plots, like... trade disputes and other politics, full of boring, bombastic, poorly edited and hard to follow action scenes, full of overly perfect over indulgent lightsaber fights with no emotion behind them......... then I guess they'll be alright." And then Disney did exactly that and reminded everyone that Star Wars can still be fun (The Force Awakens) and also real and gritty (Rogue One), and the very same fanbase did a knee-jerk 180 reflex because the films were still flawed and began claiming that, actually, the prequels are good.

I'm not gonna deny that the prequels don't have a share of memorable and even fun scenes, but from a filmmaking standpoint they are objectively very bad films whereas the Disney Star Wars films can be described as "competent filmmaking albeit with some questionable decisions".
1. The prequels were bad...2 of 3 were awful
2. Disney did a shameless reboot and then made the single dumbest entry into the franchise two years ago.

It’s like we’re judging the “Mrs. Coal Mine” pageant

yeti

Please allow me to chime in with a top-ten list of quick facts about the demographics at DL vs. WDW, and how these differences affected the perceptions.

But even though I’ll keep these bite-sized, it’s still going to be a long list, because like most things in life, the reality is complicated. Life is not an easy “pass” or “fail,” “love” or “hate.”

1) The claim “SWGE was a failure“ is based on the reaction in DL. Everyone knew it would be more successful in DHS, because there’s little else to do anyway. But in DL, where many CMs and APs enjoyed extensive previews before being blocked out, the land had already failed to meet satisfaction rates before blocking APs and opening to low demand.

2) That’s because word travels fast in SoCal, and APs act as if DL belongs to them (not a judgment, just a known observation). Perhaps a better description would’ve been, “SWGE has a poor reputation because its creative decisions confused APs who expected music and entertainment.”

3) The combination of high prices and AP blackouts would’ve doomed any new land in the SoCal market. DL doesn’t get as much day-ticket tourist traffic at WDW.

4) The land opened unfinished.

5) The land is based solely on Disney’s sequels, and people wanted to experience the Star Wars universe they’d been seeing onscreen since 1977. No matter how much this doesn’t matter to some people, it absolutely matters to the SoCal market, where the entertainment industry is a big part of the local culture.

5) SWGE was indeed a financial failure, as evidenced by quarterly results. But again, this is complicated by the blockouts and admission hikes.

6) Disney privately acknowledges the problems with the creative decisions surrounding SWGE — and by extension, the new sequels. They fired Catherine Powell as a scapegoat for Iger and Chapek, they privately refer to the land as “our billion-dollar IP mistake,” and they’re burying the marketing for Episode IX under the success of the Mandalorian, a show which appeals to classic SW fans. The infamous Lucasfilm story department is getting a shakeup too.

7) MFSR is a mediocre attraction, but it was never intended to anchor the land. In the AP world of DL, it quickly became a “one-and-done” for many passholders.

8) ROTR is an incredible attraction! But it also looks and feels like the SW film universe fans expect, not a new, unwanted Batuu. (Oh, fwiw, the rumors are true, and it was designed to be easily reskinned to the OT.)

9) I’ll repeat it because it matters: ROTR is an incredible attraction that could’ve been built in any SW land, or even attached to Tomorrowland. It doesn’t need the Batuu (SWGE) environment to wow guests.

10) Bottom line: the opening of SWGE as a land was indeed a “failure” resulting from poor decisions made re: admission, blockout, music, and IP. But ROTR is a home run, and one of the best attractions Disney has created on U.S. soil in over a decade.

Hey, even DCA 1.0 gave us GRR and Soarin’.
This post should be pinned to the front of every Star Wars thread.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom