What Do You Think is in Phase Two for Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge?

ppete1975

No...that’s not it.

Disney fans generally don’t have ANY problems with anything with the Disney label smacked on top. Generally everything “sucks” before it’s Disney and then becomes “amazing and magical” once the check is paid to buy it.

It’s the opposite problem: Star Wars fans were super skeptical of Disney from the start. They have a personal bond with that series for a million different reasons. It’s “part of them”

Don’t scoff, patronize, or tell people to grow up. That why it’s the biggest franchise ever pound for pound and had made over $100 billion off product - back when money was worth something.

Disney knew what it was getting into.

Disney just needs to make great Star Wars and the fans will fall in line...that is all that matters.

Don’t tell them they’re “wrong” to want it the old way...like those idiots Kennedy and Lucas have tried:

You work for US, kids. Simple relationship here.

I for one never in a million years thought Disney would make mistakes with Star Wars. For god’s sakes - they replicate/copy formulas for EVERYTHING!!!

But they have. Miscalculated and awful management. If they had just followed the path they were on at MCU...common stories with relative creative freedom and a hierarchy that isn’t interfered with much...we’d be reveling in Star Wars.

Instead we are dreading the release of a movie that has been completely chaotic and is the LAST references to our favorite characters for 40+ years...

That shouldn’t be possible.

Iger is punting...hope the next guy gets serious
I was with you before the dreading. I strongly hated 8 (its not as horrible on rewatching) but im super stoked for 9 and have opening night tix in 4dx and can barely control my excitement

Mike S

The fact that everyone (rightfully) hated the prequels and mocked the hell out of them until Disney's Star Wars films started coming out and then suddenly you have people claiming that they were actually just misunderstood films that were just shy of being cinematic masterpieces tells you everything you need to know about the Star Wars fanbase.
For me the problem with the prequels is solely in the dialogue. The overall story is fine, great even if it wasn’t bogged down by the bad dialogue.

The story of the sequels? All they’ve done so far is retread A New Hope, set up mysteries, not answer those mysteries, leave plot points completely not followed up on (we’re finally getting the Knights of Ren so yay I guess), and “subvert expectations.” This is even before we get to the boring cast and unintimidating main villain (they killed off the intimidating villain and are now desperate and bringing back the Emporer, lol). Also, the prequels gave us Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan. They win by default.
Just rewatching everything from 1 to 8, Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones are by fare worser than anything Disney did with SW. Yes the Last Jedi is not a cinematic master piece but compared to Ep 1 & 2 it is. Seeing the Falcon the first time in TFA gave me and the other 300 people I watched with goosebumps. Rogue One was a very good movie and I'm excited for the Disney + series, Edward Mcgregor as Obi Wan was one good thing from the prequels. Very hyped for that series to. About GE very excited to visited next summer , so everyone hating about it: go watch the originals in your pajamas. Saves a few people in front of me in the line;)
Ep 1 & 2 didn’t ruin Luke. They’re better by default.
If you claim that they're worse than the prequels then yeah, you're full of it.

When Disney announced they would be making more Star Wars films, the fanbase collectively groaned and said "well, as long as they're not boring, dull, lifeless, horribly acted, full of flat characters with no definable personality traits, full of uninteresting plots, like... trade disputes and other politics, full of boring, bombastic, poorly edited and hard to follow action scenes, full of overly perfect over indulgent lightsaber fights with no emotion behind them......... then I guess they'll be alright." And then Disney did exactly that and reminded everyone that Star Wars can still be fun (The Force Awakens) and also real and gritty (Rogue One), and the very same fanbase did a knee-jerk 180 reflex because the films were still flawed and began claiming that, actually, the prequels are good.

I'm not gonna deny that the prequels don't have a share of memorable and even fun scenes, but from a filmmaking standpoint they are objectively very bad films whereas the Disney Star Wars films can be described as "competent filmmaking albeit with some questionable decisions".
Again, the prequels didn’t ruin Luke. That’s a big point in their favor. Neither did TFA and Rogue One which you mention and guess what, there was no huge backlash like we see now when those were the only Disney Star Wars movies we had. Disney misjudged how to handle the legacy characters big time. There’s no denying it.
View attachment 431273
For sake of the argument at hand the caption of the meme should really be:
Everyone: Hating on the sequel trilogy
In all seriousness though, I wish people would just take every story in the universe for what it is: an extension of the full story that we're simply lucky to have as new content. I love the sequel trilogy just as much as the prequel and original trilogies. At the end of the day, they're just movies that allow us to suspend reality for 2+ hours each time we watch one. If you think about it, we're lucky as fans to have a movie universe like Star Wars. Alright. Romanticizing over. carry on with the hate.
edit: spelling
I’m not going to like something simply for existing but you do you. I’ve been on this rodeo before with my favorite video game series and had no problem calling out crap when I saw it no matter how long it was since the last game came out.
After watching the latest episode of Mandalorian, I want a speeder bike ride. Whether it's like Pony Express or Rocket Rods, I don't care.

It would also be nice to have 1 Star Wars ride in the park that does not have screens in it.

A relaxing, efficient transportation ride through the land would also be a major plus. Something that gives your feet a break, lets you appreciate the scenery from another angle and gives the land more life.
Now to the actual topic I’d also love a Speeder Bike coaster.
Please allow me to chime in with a top-ten list of quick facts about the demographics at DL vs. WDW, and how these differences affected the perceptions.

But even though I’ll keep these bite-sized, it’s still going to be a long list, because like most things in life, the reality is complicated. Life is not an easy “pass” or “fail,” “love” or “hate.”

1) The claim “SWGE was a failure“ is based on the reaction in DL. Everyone knew it would be more successful in DHS, because there’s little else to do anyway. But in DL, where many CMs and APs enjoyed extensive previews before being blocked out, the land had already failed to meet satisfaction rates before blocking APs and opening to low demand.

2) That’s because word travels fast in SoCal, and APs act as if DL belongs to them (not a judgment, just a known observation). Perhaps a better description would’ve been, “SWGE has a poor reputation because its creative decisions confused APs who expected music and entertainment.”

3) The combination of high prices and AP blackouts would’ve doomed any new land in the SoCal market. DL doesn’t get as much day-ticket tourist traffic at WDW.

4) The land opened unfinished.

5) The land is based solely on Disney’s sequels, and people wanted to experience the Star Wars universe they’d been seeing onscreen since 1977. No matter how much this doesn’t matter to some people, it absolutely matters to the SoCal market, where the entertainment industry is a big part of the local culture.

5) SWGE was indeed a financial failure, as evidenced by quarterly results. But again, this is complicated by the blockouts and admission hikes.

6) Disney privately acknowledges the problems with the creative decisions surrounding SWGE — and by extension, the new sequels. They fired Catherine Powell as a scapegoat for Iger and Chapek, they privately refer to the land as “our billion-dollar IP mistake,” and they’re burying the marketing for Episode IX under the success of the Mandalorian, a show which appeals to classic SW fans. The infamous Lucasfilm story department is getting a shakeup too.

7) MFSR is a mediocre attraction, but it was never intended to anchor the land. In the AP world of DL, it quickly became a “one-and-done” for many passholders.

8) ROTR is an incredible attraction! But it also looks and feels like the SW film universe fans expect, not a new, unwanted Batuu. (Oh, fwiw, the rumors are true, and it was designed to be easily reskinned to the OT.)

9) I’ll repeat it because it matters: ROTR is an incredible attraction that could’ve been built in any SW land, or even attached to Tomorrowland. It doesn’t need the Batuu (SWGE) environment to wow guests.

10) Bottom line: the opening of SWGE as a land was indeed a “failure” resulting from poor decisions made re: admission, blockout, music, and IP. But ROTR is a home run, and one of the best attractions Disney has created on U.S. soil in over a decade.

Hey, even DCA 1.0 gave us GRR and Soarin’.
Great post.

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

In `One Day at Disney` on Disney+ they featured an imagineer who worked on an autonomous roaming droid. They showed it interacting with guests. I'm guessing this was at Disneyland. Seemed pretty cool. I wish they would add these here.
Yeah that was the J4-K3 test..The problem they were dealing with was kids were hanging on to him while he moved and the interaction was minimal..But, there is a few videos of it when he appeared in DL for the test runs..

ImperfectPixie

For me the problem with the prequels is solely in the dialogue. The overall story is fine, great even if it wasn’t bogged down by the bad dialogue.
The kid they got to play young Anakin was baaaaad. Sorry, but they needed a better actor in that role. And what was with Natalie Portman? It's like she was trying to do a bad job.

Last edited:

Mike S

The kid they got to play young Anakin was baaaaad. Sorry, but they needed a better actor in that role. And what was with Natalie Portman? It's like she was trying to do a bad job.
Definitely won’t deny those points. I was more referring to the rise and fall of Anakin and the rise of Palpatine and the Empire.

Those story points are where it shines if only there was better writing.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I was with you before the dreading. I strongly hated 8 (its not as horrible on rewatching) but im super stoked for 9 and have opening night tix in 4dx and can barely control my excitement
I’m curious as to what...if anything...they can do with it.

But there is little to work with.

We know they’re bringing everyone not dead back (and those that are dead that shouldn’t have been brought back)...we know they are going Hail Mary with the old villain.

But it’s really a mess.

Have you seen those trailers? Train wreck to a John Williams soundtrack.

But I hope I am pleasantly surprised and the movie is good enough that I’ll go see it.

Never in a million years would I have thought I have no plans to do so for opening.

It’s not “dread”...they have failed. It is what it is.

doctornick

If the land now becomes a huge success but they still have large numbers fans who are unhappy with the lack of OT characters what if they went the route of Harry Potter/universal instead? Not add another ride to the original Star Wars land but add a second land at a different park. But this time a different time period, during the OT. It would force Star Wars fans to visit 2 parks like at Universal and the OT fans will be extremely happy. Of course I think the existing land would have to be a runaway success like Harry Potter was. Just a thought.

Once the details of SW:GE was announced, I always assumed this would be the case. Especially at DHS which would need more work. Make the first land the sequel trilogy, which makes sense to tie it in to the active films.

Then make a second land based on the OT. I'd even been keen on building it in Echo Lake and incorporating Star Tours as part of it. I agree that having a lace to showcase OT characters would be cool, but I think using a solid setting (including timeframe) works better for storytelling impact.

Now, who knows. Hopefully RotR brings enough attention that Disney actually will bring in more SW content, but I'm skeptical about another land ever happening unfortunately.

Rosso11

Once the details of SW:GE was announced, I always assumed this would be the case. Especially at DHS which would need more work. Make the first land the sequel trilogy, which makes sense to tie it in to the active films.

Then make a second land based on the OT. I'd even been keen on building it in Echo Lake and incorporating Star Tours as part of it. I agree that having a lace to showcase OT characters would be cool, but I think using a solid setting (including timeframe) works better for storytelling impact.

Now, who knows. Hopefully RotR brings enough attention that Disney actually will bring in more SW content, but I'm skeptical about another land ever happening unfortunately.

With Disney World not being able to use Marvel I can see Disney going all in with Star Wars in Florida. The hotel will be the next step. After that I could see an OT land being built somewhere on property.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
With Disney World not being able to use Marvel I can see Disney going all in with Star Wars in Florida. The hotel will be the next step. After that I could see an OT land being built somewhere on property.
They can’t build another land elsewhere...it just doesn’t work:

I know what everyone is thinking and NOOO...not in Epcot.

The hotel is gonna be interesting...unless Disney starts really cranking out great content on Disney+ - the demand for a really expensive hotel is gonna flatline quickly.

Both Disney management the Disney apologist fandom is REALLY Overestimating how much Star Wars and casual fans want to “reward” them for what they’ve produced.

It’s no better in lasting appeal than the prequel era as it stands.

Just my take

Mike S

OMG, TLJ ruined Luke? If anything it made him a much better character.
The guy who would never abandon or give up on friends or family, suddenly giving up on and abandoning friends and family.
tenor.gif

Mike S

Even before their death he wanted to leave them in the dust. (Too soon?)
It was really more like a bird wanting to leave the nest. It wasn’t abandonment he wanted which is what happened much later concerning his nephew, sister, and best friend/brother in law. This of course being the same guy who against all advice wouldn’t give up on his father. It just, doesn’t, make, sense.

This is the wrong thread for this though. Originally I only came in here to discuss the actual topic then saw the conversation that was going on.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
OMG, TLJ ruined Luke? If anything it made him a much better character. But seriously this discussion is off topic and always gets exhausting.

Omg...not even close.

Luke was one of the great heroes of the late 20th century and he carried the first series...which was a worldwide phenomenon.

You remember, right?

...or perhaps you don’t?
Why can't they just build another land in DHS? The park still needs a lot more content so... why not? Also could include some in ride transportation between such lands.

They can do that. But notice they just redid the entire infrastructure around studios and made it fairly obvious that further large scale expansions are not there goals:

Also, the Franchise has to grow - a lot - in popularity before they would build more. It has to be a driver of attendance - get new people into the park. Don’t think that’s gonna happen as it stands now

roj2323

Let’s see phase 2

1) reskin disneylland’s swge to be more inline with the original trilogy. The rides wouldn’t need to change a whole lot but the lands themeing would need a major reskin.

2) install the stuff they deleted from the original plan when they value engineered it. A sit down restaurant is a must and making that come with a show would be unique for an in park restaurant. Something like hoopdee doo review but SW.

3) add shade. Seriously the land is like a furnace most of the year. Would it break the bank to add some themed camo netting in a few spots?

4) as complicated as the land is, it is feels empty. The bazar area in particular just lacks content. Just add more merchandise and make it feel more chaotic, sell stuff you can’t get anywhere else like full scale droid parts, have someone selling Trips on the cruise liner (the hotel), sell tapestries and fresh fruit, just make it feel like it’s supposed to. Also in the pathways all around the land there doesn’t seem to be any defined purpose to them. Are they roads? Walking paths? Add some clutter like in the Asia section of DAK. Traders carts, for example.

5) some kind of play area for the kiddos - Much like Honey I shrunk the kids and the Dino excavation thing at DAK the kiddos love a good playground and the parents will love the starwars theme it portrays.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom