What Do You Expect to see when you enter a place called EPCOT

Incomudro

I remember, perhaps 1991 when my girlfriend and I took a trip to WDW.
We went into Epcot, and made dinner reservations at a video panel where we were able to speak live on video to a person from the country we chose. The future!
It was really cool.
Now we've got this ability and so much more in the palm of our hands on our cel phones.
BTW, remember being able to get a dinner reservation at the country of your choice on the day you entered the park?
Ahhh, the past.

Ted Daggett

I'd say most people aren't avid Disney fans like us and have no clue that Epcot was an acronym or what it stands/stood for so, to them, they probably see nothing wrong with the park.

I won't let my kids enter EPCOT until they tell me what the acronym stands for.

You can see Walt's idea of EPCOT on the People Mover ride when the it goes through Space Mountain. It looks nothing like the current Epcot. Didn't he originally want it to be a self contained community, with homes?

Marco226

I agree mostly.
But, from where we stand now - what's the future?
I don't even see how one can be portrayed anymore, at least not from a perspective of dazzling excitement and wonders of tomorrow.
That's why from my perspective I go with most of what you say - and just add some IP's - Wall E really should be there to some of the buildings.

First, I agree that Wall-E would be one of the few characters that would actually work within Future World. He's a robot of the possible future that could be created with today's technology in robotics and artificial intelligence. (EVA not so much yet, lol). Plus, the movie's message(s) would he great for the park.

You asked the question, "From where we stand now - what's the future?" The future is whatever we haven't achieved yet, and that includes both the tangible and intangible.

To me, as a kid back in the 90s, Future World was a place that told me that my quality of life in the future would be better thanks to technology. That's why there was an attraction about communication technology, traveling, health stuff, energy, farming techniques, and nature conservation, and that none of it could be achieved without a little bit of imagination. But now it's digressed into abandoned buildings, bad redos, characters, and outdated info.

So, to answer your question, I guess the future is whatever gives us a better life (intangible) through the use of better technology (tangible), like renewable green energy, affordable healthcare, efficient clean mass transportation, etc.

Epcot could totally keep up with this message because it's a good blend of reality and imagination. Imagineers just need to do their research and design attractions and exhibits that explain better the how and the why instead of just the what.

Goofyernmost

Let's put it this way. When it opened up as EPCOT I expected to see an Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. What I got was a bunch of interesting and entertaining rides and things that spent more time on what was then what was coming and there was nothing about it that looked anything like a community, experimental or otherwise. So when you come right down to it, it never, ever was what the name implies. There were so few things that were displayed that indicated the future it isn't funny. It was the past and the now, primarily. Edutainment at its best, but otherwise... a major deception.

s8film40

I won't let my kids enter EPCOT until they tell me what the acronym stands for.

You can see Walt's idea of EPCOT on the People Mover ride when the it goes through Space Mountain. It looks nothing like the current Epcot. Didn't he originally want it to be a self contained community, with homes?
Most people seem to always mention it was supposed to have homes, however it was actually much more than just a community for people to live in. There were two primary parts of EPCOT. The residential and commercial area being one of them, this is pretty much the same as the earlier Progress city concept which you see on the People Mover. The other primary element of EPCOT was the industrial complex. This would have essentially been a community where different major corporations would each have large spaces to presumably headquarter their R&D divisions out of. They would have the benefit of using the EPCOT community as a test bed for prototype products before finalizing designs for the mass market. The community itself was to be built with this concept in mind to make it easy for appliances and such to be frequently changed out in the homes and businesses. The center of the community would have a large hotel, recreation space and a commercial area to allow people to visit the EPCOT community. The theme park complex was really just an after thought probably just to keep the investors on board. Then the other part was the airport which would support the residents and tourists as well as accomodate the large corporations business needs.

WWWD

I would expect to see huge cots all over the place. Doesn't EPCOT stand for epic cots? Really, I would like to see Disney partner with various universities to showcase current research projects in Future World. I think this would give people an insight on the fantastic research done by our universities and help our youth get interested in STEM classes.

SteamboatJoe

According to E. Cardon Walker on October 24, 1982,

"...Epcot Center is inspired by Walt Disney's creative genius. Here, human achievements are celebrated through imagination, the wonders of enterprise, and concepts of a future that promises new and exciting benefits for all.

May Epcot Center entertain, inform and inspire. And, above all, may it instill a new sense of belief and pride in man's ability to shape a world that offers hope to people everywhere.
"

That is what it should be. A world's fair celebrating every aspect of mankind's progress as a species with a focus on science, technology, innovation, culture, and a nod of appreciation to the natural wonder that is the amazing blue marble we all call home. The true EPCOT as envisioned by Walt never really occurred. The dedication speech says as much and that is OK. It was probably a project only Walt himself could've pulled off.

What I expect to see when I walk into Epcot is a sophisticated manifestation of Walt's ingenuity, hope, and eternal optimism for the future while still maintaining a respectful and reverent attitude and appreciation for the past. That's a pretty tall order given how long it takes to develop, design, fund, and construct an attraction. The future is changing all the time. I'm sure this difficulty is at least partially why it has taken so long for the park to receive the attention it needs.

I admit to being a little torn when it comes to renovating Epcot to some degree. It certainly needs freshened up and rejuvenated but it's entire design from layout to architecture, especially in what remains of the Horizons-era Future World, is almost a time capsule for the age it which it was designed. As ugly as some post-war architecture is. It still stands for something. It still symbolizes something. We can't save it all but I hope we do a better job of conserving some of the most iconic works of past ears better than those that came before us. The academic historian and urban planner side of me wishes, in some ways that the Epcot of yesteryear could be completely preserved but the park fan and realist knows that the glory days for some of these treasured elements are in the past and that, to some degree, things will have to change. I just hope when the time comes to make decisions on these changes, the right decisions are made.

JiminyandTink

For me, on the Future World side, I would expect to see a blend of a nostalgic look at the future with real glimpses of new technology and innovation. They need to dedicate some thought and money to Innoventions and I would definitely not expect to see so many unused buildings. World showcase is still holding together pretty well, but I wouldn't have expected to see character themed rides in the pavilions and the lack of live performers is disappointing.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
there are thousand of ideas being worked on that we are not aware of and really cool stuff that would WOW :

check these out

http://gajitz.com/meta/science/

they could easily partner with these companys and colleges to have on site testing or display of prototypes. I remember some years ago they had an exhibit of the robot called OSIMO, I think it was in conjunction with Honda. They also showed a wheel chair that could climb steps.

Last edited:

DisneyGentleman

This is a great question :) From afar and upon entering: EPCOT looks amazing. You think, WOW I want to go there. But once inside, it gets beyond boring. Excluding World Showcase, Future World has long lost its mojo. Even the updated spaceship earth is no longer aha. I suspect EPCOT will get a complete overhaul in the next 20 years. The updated Soarin and this horrible Frozen Norway wide will keep the guests coming for years to come. And as long as the annual boozefests continue - EPCOT will remain on just above critical condition.
To answer the original question, I used to expect to see a place of wonder and excitment.

Now I expect to see drunks vomiting.

copcarguyp71

For about the past 10 years things play out in my head a little something like this...

reality.jpg

Tony the Tigger

I expect to be able to go on a ride based on the Cosmos series with Neil Degrasse Tyson...seriously why has this not happened yet. Also, some sort of Tesla coil show.

This is sort of where I'm leaning - a partnership with the nearby Cape Canaveral/NASA. Demonstrations of Solar and other alternative powers so these aren't so "theoretical" sounding to people. Tesla is a natural match. Yes, they're here but not widely adopted and certain to have improvements in the works.

Larry Mondello

I would expect to see huge cots all over the place. Doesn't EPCOT stand for epic cots? Really, I would like to see Disney partner with various universities to showcase current research projects in Future World. I think this would give people an insight on the fantastic research done by our universities and help our youth get interested in STEM classes.

That would require "effort" on Disney's part. Why put through any effort if they can fill the parks by doing absolutely nothing.

Sundown

Hello all. First post. Interesting topic.

I was at Epcot a few months ago. I couldn't get out of there faster. It is certainly a half day park. As a kid, going to EPCOT in the '80s...the park was a little more fun (mostly due to Figment, and 'space ship things'), but even then to a kid it was certainly a step down from the Magic Kingdom.

Epcot to me has always been more of an adult geared park, more or less. Though I personally don't like the World Showcase at all, it seems to be the real draw for adults & guests. So why not redevelop the Future World areas to work more with the World Showcase?

I think they should create an entire mythos and backstory regarding Epcot. Tie the story to technology of the past and of the future. And specifically tie it into the Disney S.E.A. (Society of Explorers and Adventurers). They could re-design many rides to fit more with this.

Redesign the Figment ride to harken back to the original ride, complete with Dreamfinder (and tie him in to the S.E.A). Make it have more of a steam punk feel with shades of the Figment comic.

Spaceship Earth, add in slight bits into it to tie to Disney S.E.A.

For a restaurant, create a new Adventurer's Club. They could make an interactive / treasure hunt game similar to Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom.

And this the ties to Disney S.E.A. don't have to be so obvious. Just slight nods here an there in rides. This can allow for cartoon, movie based attractions as well like Nemo. And certainly it should NOT be a S.E.A. mythos that is only trapped in the past, but also current...involved with designing cars for Test Track, up to date technology advancements, medicine treatments, etc.

Heck,a Tron area could work too.

They need to make Epcot feel like an experimental/high tech/old tech community (private club) that spans the generations of man. Then it can easily "feed" into the World Showcase where you become the explorer of the various regions & countries of our Earth.

MKCP 1985

did anyone see last week's episode of "The Americans" on FX? Set in 1983, the main characters were being sent to Epcot Center for reasons that don't matter here. Their 1983 expectations are probably as different from ours today as Yeti (the ice chest, not the occupant of Expedition: Everest) is different from Coleman or Igloo.

At the core, I expect cutting edge science and games and Coca Cola soft drinks in Future World with major attractions that conjure up an optimistic view of the future. (Tomorrowland, anyone?) Shades of blue and purple along with calming futuristic music to sooth my nerves as I tread the spread between attraction pavilions and a reminder of Disney characters along with the occasional appearance of a monorail train is a welcome plus. In the World Showcase, I expect to see and meet representatives of the countries presented who provide an introduction to their culture while providing a world class entertainment experience and a tasty adult beverage.

yes, that's what I expect.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom