What Do You Expect to see when you enter a place called EPCOT

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
From my point of view when I walk into expcot I'm wowed by spaceship earth and then it seems to have lost its futuristic atmosphere after that. I expect to see at every turn products and exhibits of state of the art technology being used and prototypes of things to come. Segways being used by staff, electric/solar use. What items could be used in EPCOT that fits its theme?

CaptainAmerica

From my point of view when I walk into expcot I'm wowed by spaceship earth and then it seems to have lost its futuristic atmosphere after that. I expect to see at every turn products and exhibits of state of the art technology being used and prototypes of things to come. Segways being used by staff, electric/solar use. What items could be used in EPCOT that fits its theme?
EPCOT hasn't existed since 1994. It's Epcot now, and it's just a name. It's no longer an acronym (and really never was outside of Walt's imagination).

Incomudro

How do we depict a technological future to a generation who knows that we will not really ever be living in moon, mars, or undersea colonies?
How do we showcase technological wonders to a generation who holds a cel phone in their hands (which they now view as a mundane daily device) which is capable of doing the types of things we only dreamed possible just 20 years ago?
I agree that Epcot needs work though...

disney4life2008

This is a great question :) From afar and upon entering: EPCOT looks amazing. You think, WOW I want to go there. But once inside, it gets beyond boring. Excluding World Showcase, Future World has long lost its mojo. Even the updated spaceship earth is no longer aha. I suspect EPCOT will get a complete overhaul in the next 20 years. The updated Soarin and this horrible Frozen Norway wide will keep the guests coming for years to come. And as long as the annual boozefests continue - EPCOT will remain on just above critical condition.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I think that what should be asked is not someone that visit this site a lot thinks of Epcot; we should be asking what the average person visiting Epcot thinks they will see. I love Epcot and spend a lot of time in this park when visiting Walt Disney World. I think the average guest when entering any park thinks rides and Epcot is lacking in that area. I know that many will not agree with me here, but I think every land in the World Showcase should have at least one major ride. I know several lands had rides planned (thinking Japan) that were never built. I visit Epcot for the International Food and Wine Festival almost every year, but I still think the World Show Case needs something else.

FigmentForver96

One should enter Epcot with a sense of wonder. Beckond in by the tall buildings that perch over the trees and the giant geosphere that looks over the entrance. Guest should see each pavilion and marvel at the achievements of man and see where we are going in the future. Feeling a sense of acomplishment and pride in the human race and realizing we are all connected and that together we are bundling the future. We reach new frontiers, build new things, discover new possibilities when we move together as one. Guest should leave knowing that they have the power to change the future.

bethymouse

I still love EPCOT. Disney seems to be having a problem over all keeping up with the technology of the 21st century! The problem is, we're living in such a fast-paced society that Disney simply can't keep up with the "future", and Future World just doesn't "work" any more.:( They have got to be working on something new for EPCOT, and even something new for World Showcase that isn't FROZEN driven! But, I guess we'll have to wait on the hopeful success of Avatarland , Star Wars Land, and Pixar Place! Yikes!:eek:

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
I'd say most people aren't avid Disney fans like us and have no clue that Epcot was an acronym or what it stands/stood for so, to them, they probably see nothing wrong with the park.

Probably true but everyone likes to be dazzle by the future technolgy. I thnik thats why movies like Star Trek , Star Wars, continue to sell to the public.

Incomudro

I'd say most people aren't avid Disney fans like us and have no clue that Epcot was an acronym or what it stands/stood for so, to them, they probably see nothing wrong with the park.

Yeah, but the idea that it's a futuristic area is certainly unavoidable.
Epcots biggest problem is that it needs its unoccupied or seriously dated show buildings brought back to life.

JIMINYCR

Exactly. Most people see it as the park with the silver ball, leading to a circle of countries that they wander through along with a few rides to jump on. Nothing spectacular, just another park to spend the day in that has nicer restaurants and a fireworks show to close out the night. Most guests walk away unimpressed and no idea that it was to have a different purpose long ago.

raven

The entrance to the park with it's huge icon suggests innovation, technology and a sleek design but the remainder of Future World (for the most part) suggests tired, faded and dated,

Marco226

When I enter a place called EPCOT, I expect to see a park that makes people think about the future. How that's done, I believe, is by forgetting about rides for a moment, and first figuring out a story for Future World.

As of right now, Future World is a place that is celebrating the past along with present day achievements, and it has only a few things that actually make the visitor think about the future, like the end of SSE, Living with the Land, and M:S (if you can ride it).

Also, architecture, a human achievement, plays a major role in story-telling. You look at how the buildings are shaped and it's easy to figure out why millenials think the park is so retro. This place was designed as the future of the 70s. Because of that, a young person's mind is already thinking about the past and not the future. The main buildings I'm talking about are the ones as you enter the park (first impressions), the Innoventions buildings (central hub), The Land, Test Track, UoE, and even parts of the Imagination pavilion (even though IMO I think is the most beautiful).

Architecture has come a long way since the 70s, and let's face it... 70s architecture is really bad. We no longer just make certain shapes because they look cool. With modern architecture, everything is done for a reason, whether it be for line of sight reasons, direction of the sun, color theory, focal points, spacial dimensions, and the psychological effects of all that I listed, and so on and so on. Certain things, though, should be kept in order not to tick off nostalgic fans, like the volcano shape of The Land and the mural along its entrance. Just have it updated a little so it doesn't look like you're walking into your grandmother's house.

So right there, Disney has two very difficult things to address: the old architecture and attractions that don't really talk about the future. Just by changing the visuals of the park with modern day structures with, dare I say it, experimental prototypes of futuristic technology, Disney could really enhance the park and start getting it back to it's original message. I won't armchair imagineer too much right now, I know that makes people mad for some reason.

TL;DR
I expect to walk into Epcot's Future World and be shown a place about the future, not the past and present. Update the old 70s architecture and put in attractions about things that don't exist yet, and there you go.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
When I enter a place called EPCOT, I expect to see a park that makes people think about the future. How that's done, I believe, is by forgetting about rides for a moment, and first figuring out a story for Future World.

As of right now, Future World is a place that is celebrating the past along with present day achievements, and it has only a few things that actually make the visitor think about the future, like the end of SSE, Living with the Land, and M:S (if you can ride it).

Also, architecture, a human achievement, plays a major role in story-telling. You look at how the buildings are shaped and it's easy to figure out why millenials think the park is so retro. This place was designed as the future of the 70s. Because of that, a young person's mind is already thinking about the past and not the future. The main buildings I'm talking about are the ones as you enter the park (first impressions), the Innoventions buildings (central hub), The Land, Test Track, UoE, and even parts of the Imagination pavilion (even though IMO I think is the most beautiful).

Architecture has come a long way since the 70s, and let's face it... 70s architecture is really bad. We no longer just make certain shapes because they look cool. With modern architecture, everything is done for a reason, whether it be for line of sight reasons, direction of the sun, color theory, focal points, spacial dimensions, and the psychological effects of all that I listed, and so on and so on. Certain things, though, should be kept in order not to tick off nostalgic fans, like the volcano shape of The Land and the mural along its entrance. Just have it updated a little so it doesn't look like you're walking into your grandmother's house.

So right there, Disney has two very difficult things to address: the old architecture and attractions that don't really talk about the future. Just by changing the visuals of the park with modern day structures with, dare I say it, experimental prototypes of futuristic technology, Disney could really enhance the park and start getting it back to it's original message. I won't armchair imagineer too much right now, I know that makes people mad for some reason.

TL;DR
I expect to walk into Epcot's Future World and be shown a place about the future, not the past and present. Update the old 70s architecture and put in attractions about things that don't exist yet, and there you go.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
exactly, when the park was in its early days people flocked there and were amazed about what could be. People love to see and dream about what could be in store for them. The World Showcase has a spirit of unity.

Incomudro

TL;DR

I agree mostly.
But, from where we stand now - what's the future?
I don't even see how one can be portrayed anymore, at least not from a perspective of dazzling excitement and wonders of tomorrow.
That's why from my perspective I go with most of what you say - and just add some IP's (Wall E really should be there) to some of the buildings.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom