What do you drive?

The Mom

Premium Member
I drive a 2012 Honda CR-V. Unless something goes terribly wrong, it'll be the last car I purchase for myself. Since I'm in charge of buying cars, I'll have to buy one more for my husband, and then one for both of us. After that, we'll be too old to drive.

StarWarsGirl

Okay, up until now I wasn't jealous; but now I am. Here's mine:
That will be my next car. Oldsmobile Bravada (ours is a 2004, don't know what year that one is, but it looks exactly like ours. Ours is silver too). It's currently my mom's car, but I'm going to have to retire my Aurora by the end of this year. My dad will get a new car, my mom will get the 2012 Buick Enclave my dad currently drives, and I will get the Bravada. It's a nice vehicle. It handles well. Ironically, I can park it better than I can park my Aurora. I started out learning on the Aurora, but then switched to the Bravada because my mom taught me how to drive and the Bravada is hers. I also took my driver's test in it. Also got into my first accident in it when a guy ran a stop sign, hit me, and left the scene.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
1994 Ford Explorer (4 Door with a Mazda 5 speed manual transmission) Extremely rare to find one of these. Old enough that I can do regular maintenance my self with out the need for fancy computers.

I know practically nothing about cars; but, I think it's impressive that some people are skilled enough to figure out how to use a manual transmission. If my little car wasn't an automatic, I know I wouldn't be driving! :)

Goofyernmost

I drive a 2012 Honda CR-V. Unless something goes terribly wrong, it'll be the last car I purchase for myself. Since I'm in charge of buying cars, I'll have to buy one more for my husband, and then one for both of us. After that, we'll be too old to drive.
To keep what little bit of sanity that I have left, I have to believe that one is never to old to drive. At 66 I still drive buses part-time. I just had my DOT physical required to keep my Commercial Drivers License. It's good for two more years which means that my next one is when I'm 68. I'm starting to think that I will give up the CDL at that point because, I'm getting tired of driving a bus. My car, however, is a different story.

The Mom

Premium Member
I know practically nothing about cars; but, I think it's impressive that some people are skilled enough to figure out how to use a manual transmission. If my little car wasn't an automatic, I know I wouldn't be driving! :)

I was still driving a car with a manual transmission up until my first automatic - in 1993. It was then passed down to my daughter in 1998, and she drove it until 2000 (but by that time only when she was home from college) and she replaced it with another manual transmission.

She said it really impressed guys. ;)

I can still drive a manual, but not as smoothly.

Jahona

I love driving a manual, except in rush hour. I feel more in tune with the vehicle. I'm looking to replace it in the future and kinda sad that I can't find an SUV with a stick anymore.

norhel

Just a fun fact: here in Norway it's quite common to drive with a stick. But automatic transmission is also common. It's most of the stick.

Goofyernmost

I cut my adult teeth on trucks with 15 speed Road Ranger Transmissions or Two Stick Macks. That later required you to weave your left arm through the steering wheel putting your left hand on the "gear" stick and your right hand on the "range" stick. (High or low range) It was a challenge sometimes especially in heavy traffic.

When I started driving buses and found that they were automatic transmissions, it was hard to stay awake. There was nothing to do but steer and use the brake and accelerator pedal. Here's something that few people know (or care about) but on buses the signal lights are on foot pedals. One pedal for left and one for right. It gives your left foot something useful to do. I wish they had that feature on cars.

Ariel484

Me: 2009 Honda Civic
Husband: Just got a 2014 Toyota Prius a few months back...I'm a wee bit jealous (mostly that his car has Bluetooth and mine doesn't) but I do love my Civic. :)

dadddio

I love driving a manual, except in rush hour. I feel more in tune with the vehicle. I'm looking to replace it in the future and kinda sad that I can't find an SUV with a stick anymore.
You could always choose one with the so-called 'automated manual' transmissions. My Avalanche has two modes for the 6-speed; automatic or 'shiftable' automatic. (Same goes for my wife's Tahe and Smart and lots of other vehicles.) Basically, you get to tell it when to shift, but it does the actual clutch work (quicker and smoother than a human could).

Goofyernmost

You could always choose one with the so-called 'automated manual' transmissions. My Avalanche has two modes for the 6-speed; automatic or 'shiftable' automatic. (Same goes for my wife's Tahe and Smart and lots of other vehicles.) Basically, you get to tell it when to shift, but it does the actual clutch work (quicker and smoother than a human could).
You can do that with almost every automatic transmission, but, really one is just playing make-believe driving. I still remember the good old double clutching fool days. Now that's a feeling of being a skilled part of the process.;)

Jahona

I haven't tried the newer model "shift-tronic" systems, the last one I tried you would tell it to shift and it would take it's sweet time. I've also got an extremely stiff clutch that gives my left leg a workout.

dadddio

You can do that with almost every automatic transmission, but, really one is just playing make-believe driving. I still remember the good old double clutching fool days. Now that's a feeling of being a skilled part of the process.;)
No, shifting these transmissions is not very similar to a regular auto transmission. It is much more like a shifting a manual, just without the need to clutch.

Knothead

1993 Mazda MX5 mark 1. It's a rare treat being able to put the roof down in Scotland!

I miss my Miata dearly. They are great cars. I had to get rid of it after an afternoon spent in the garage trying to find a way to get two child seats in it. I will own another one eventually.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom