What do resort guests do during a hurricane?

stuart

Here it comes...

Two Words: Its Coming!!!! :eek:

[When there select the Doppler 9000 radar map on the right, there is a picture. I did have a link to the page but it came up Cannot Find Server.]

Mite be different for so you so you could try clicking here

It doesnt look too good does it??? Though i do actually wish i was there, it would be a hell of an experience to be in WDW and have a hurricane passing through...dont tend to get many...any in Scotland.

pinjim

Maybe they stay in and dust and clean their rooms, because the maids seem to lack that talent - at least in the French Quarter

PhotoDave219

HauntedPirate said:
I was just thinking about the hurricane and WDW. What do resort guests do? Is it feasible/safe to venture out and get food or even just goto the main building?
Apparently they go out and play in the rain, football, slip'n'slide and go swimming.

I'm not kidding.

llrain

heres what a charile is doing at the BWI

taken from wdwinfo.com forums

Every time I mention my name I get abused ..when I call to make a dinner PS .. I say my name “Charlie” and the PS person starts yelling “go home we don’t want you here” ha ha ha…and forget about the abuse the waiters give me when I sign the bill. (I use to be a great tipper..hmmm..I will need to rethink that)

We are down here on vacation… it is kind of exciting listening to the news broadcasts about Charlie. Hopefully there won’t be much damage in Florida. Prayers to the people who live on the coast.

My son’s are a little worried about the coming storm…but they say there feel a little better every time we buy them toys or snacks.(little con artists they are)

The hotel left a message at 8:45pm saying that the parks will be open on Friday..but to stay tuned to see if the hours will be altered due to the path of Charlie. There are messages on the bottom of the TV screen telling WDW cast members to call their leads to see if they are to report to work. They are also messages about school closings and where to pick up free sandbags..etc.

We just got back from MGM…all of the food table umbrellas are closed tight will plastic ties. All of the pushcarts are being emptied…they have signs on them.. we think for later movement. The popcorn cart over by the Great Movie Ride had a sign on it that said…”move under dig site” (whatever that means)

I will keep you posted on any new developments from WDW….

Charlie out!

******** 8:00 am UPDATE ******

Thanks

Got a hotel message at 7:30 am…

MK, MGM, Epcot will be open from 8 to 1 for on property WDW hotel guests only. AK closed.

Parks mayclose before 1 depending on weather..

We are off to MK now.

Charlie out!

******** 3:00pm UPDATE ******

Had breakfast on the Boardwalk ..3 bagels and one fruit loops cereal. (no price grouching yet.. although the price of the loops was a little dear)

Walked into Epcot via WS entrance. All of the vendor/food carts were strapped down with yellow moving belts. Don’t worry beaver tail fans the BT shack was even strapped down.

Not many people in Epcot but Test Track Fast Pass was sold out and the stand by line was 20 minutes. Went on Space Ship Earth..if WDW gets wiped out I can at least say we went on SE one last time.

Took the Monorail over to TTC..then the ferry to MK. They were only about 10 of us on the ferry. (yes I said 10)

MK wasn’t too crowded but all of the FP rides were sold out. We hit a few of our favorites. All of the signs were tried down with heavy rope. All of the trashcans were being taken away. (the talking trashcan did NOT go quietly) All of the hanging street post planters were gone.

We ate our last meal in the Crystal Place. Probably a glass house was not the greatest place to be for an upcoming hurricane but what the heck we was hungry. The CP is a very nice place Pooh, Erore, and Tigger were there. Tigger was quite the gentleman around my wife. (did you know he has mittens for hands..I don’t know how you can crab a can with mittens) I told my family to eat like bears getting ready for a long winter nap. Needless to say I was the only one eating…I hit the buffet 5 times. (ok I am a pig not a bear)

Started to leave the MK at 12:30pm. The most amazing sight was seeing thousands of people heading away from the Castle down Main Street at 12:30 in the afternoon.

The buses to the hotels were packed. A lot of people were on cell phones trying to call the airport to see if their flights were still on for later tonight. A lot of kids were crying..that worried cry. We sat in the front of the bus listening to the bus radio…a lot of chatter about buses being backed up by 4 and 5 buses at some parks/hotels.

Got to the BWI and walked on the BW the lines at Spoodles, the Bakery, and ESPN were about one city block long each. We headed over to the General Store to get water/food. The line there was also out of the door.

We went to the store inside of the BWI and got water/soda/food. (but NO beer) Oh and I got crap from my wife for not getting one of those little noisy brown refrigerators this year. The one year I win the noisy refrigerator battle and I really lose.

We walked over to the SWAN went in Tubbies and got some crackers and a much needed cup o joe. My wife got into a fight with some woman over the last box of Mickey crackers. My wife won.. the woman even tried giving my wife some sob story about needing them for morning sickness. (ha.. she looked like she was at least 5 months….morning sickness my *** )

As we were leaving the SWAN we got hit with the first wave of Charley. We made it to the BW. My wife had our umbrellas and poncho’s in her backpack. I hate when she carries that stupid backpack around. but in this case it came in handy. (don’t tell her that)

We are in the room now.. the CM’s took in the deck chairs and table…we are getting messages every half hour from the staff. Later on because all of the food places are closed the BW will have complimentary food in the lobby. They are also showing Disney movies on TV in the rooms…Nemo, Big Bear, Mosters Inc for the kids.

We now see that Charley’s path is heading right for Orlando. The main part of the storm will hit at 11:00 pm (et). They are also tornado warning all over the place.

******* 6:30 pm UPDATE *******

We went down into the BWI lobby…they had some characters for the kids…Tigger, Eeyore, and Belle. There were food tables set up all over the lobby along with big drink buckets. (but alas NO beer) It was a mad house, lines going every which way. The food was in little bags and boxes. One bag/box contained a ham or turkey sandwich, an apple or banana, and a bag of popcorn or chips. There were also baskets full of cookies and those peanut butter and jelly sandwiches that you pay 4 bucks for at the parks. Needless to say we picked up a few of them as a little payback since we paid for them just the day before. (I don’t think Uncle Mike will miss the 16 dollars)

We took the loot back to the room. Then went out exploring on the BW. It was empty but the General Store was still open. We walked by it and noticed a fresh supply of …yes BEER in the freezer. I ran in…err I mean I walked in and purchased a six-pack of Coors Light. My wife doesn’t drink but she picked up a pre made Fuzzy Navel in a bottle. She said she would only use it in case of emergency..that emergency being locked up in a hotel room with her three children. (Matt, Nick, and me). (Hey so the three of us think farting is funny, just because she never cut one, why take it out on us?)

We asked the CM’s in the GS if they were going home soon. They said no they couldn’t get home because the roads are all closed down. They said Disney would probably put them up in the BW Convention Center. We also met a lot of people that checked in who were evacuating from Tampa. They were laughing that they left Tampa just to get hit with Charley in Orlando. (I didn’t dare tell them my name was Charlie..I introduced myself as Joe)

The news is now saying we will get hit at 10:00 pm. It is raining like cats and dogs here every once and a while. We just had a nasty storm a few minutes ago.

This is what was on a paper that they were giving out at the parks today:

If this park closes early today due to Hurricane Charley, your theme park admission will be automatically reactivated for use at a later date.

If your theme park admission has an expiration date, in the event of an early closing, please present your ticket at your resort Front Desk for further assistance.

If you have any questions, please visit Guest Relations or the Front Desk at your resort.

We hope you enjoy your day.

This is what was slipped under our room door:

Dear BoardWalk Guests:

THIS IS AN URGENT MESSAGE!

Due to the proximity of Hurricane Charley, the possibility is imminent that this area will be under storm conditions. In view of the size, strength, and possible path of this hurricane, we recommend that, if you are in a building away from the main lobby, you remain in your Guest room for your safety and do the following:

Keep away from windows and stay on the far side of the room.

Keep your connecting room doors open during periods when privacy is not necessary.

So that we may reach you in the event of an emergency, DO NOT double lock your Guest room door.

Leave your Guest room blinds or drapes closed and all patio furniture in the room.

DO NOT leave your room until notified.

For your enjoyment, we will have a continuous showing of the following feature films on these channels:

Finding Nemo Channel 14
Monsters Inc. Channel 18
Brother Bear Channel 23

Please continue to closely monitor the weather on your in-room television. We will advise you when the weather authorities have determined that the storm has passed. Also, please contact the Front Desk if you have any questions or require further assistance.

Sincerely,

The Cast of Disney’s BoardWalk Resort

My 7 year old is scared but he said his stuffed animals are keeping him safe.

PS – the beer is safe and sound (for now) in a nice big bucket of ice.

PSS – saw three signs so far…”Charley go home”, “Hey Charley bring it on!”, and “Charley go home”. None of the signs ready upset me that much..I am use to my wife saying much worse. (I can’t repeat it on the DIS)

Charlie out!

********* 8:00 pm UPDATE *******

** I know I am putting a light spin on my posts and situation. I do this for my sons and family. This is a serious storm and people are getting killed. I think a roof collapsed in a shelter, millions are without power, and a little girl was killed by Bonnie in NC. We are lucky we are in a safe place. Keep those that are hurt by Charley/Bonnie in you prayers. **

My wife has retreated to the laundry room under the pretense of doing laundry. She is really in there reading a Redbook magazine in peace and quiet. (although I think it might be an old copy of “The Shining” that we had in the car.) If she comes back with an axe I ain’t opening the door!

Ah back in “the room” we are having a hurricane party. There is beer and chips flowing everyway. It is like a flash back to my college days in our summerhouse down the Jersey Shore. Beer, beer, and more beer! (ok replace the last two beers with Juicy Juice) Funny thing is just like my college party days there is not a woman in sight. (I only hope my sons have better luck with the ladies then me)

We just got another Hotel message. For those of you that are interested in how WDW works during a hurricane here it is. There are bending over backwards to please/take care of us…good job!

Good Evening,

For those quests that did not receive a box meal earlier. At 7:30 pm we will be offering additional meals in the BoardWalk lobby. Out of consideration for all guests. If you have already had the opportunity to eat, please let others have the same opportunity.

Thank you.

We took a walk down to the lobby.(no not to get a double dip on the eats..but just to look around) It is like a big party down there…groups of people are singing “it’s a small world” and the hotel is passing out popcorn…but there are armed CM’s at every exit not letting you dare walk out of this hotel. (armed with Mickey light up pens) I am still using the moniker of "Joe".

The storm is ready starting now. It is raining hard and the wind is blowing. There have been tornado reports in central Florida.

Charlie out!

Figment1986

amazing post.... charley should see what some of the plywood said in tampa...

"Sorry Charley....." haha

At least their is no Robert huricaine yet... if that happened im changing my name to figment and having someone else pay for me....

joefox97

The part I like the best is how planned and organized everything is. They had movies ready for the TV channels, distribution for food, meals planned with boxes and everything necessary to put together no-heat-required food.... from someone who can understand the logistics behind planning for that kind of response, it's very very impressive. And they (generally) don't miss a dot on an I. Pretty impressive. Yet another reason I would sell my first-born child to go back to work there.

Joe

WDWEric

marynorth said:
I was wondering if the park was closed for a day, do you get some sort of credit if you were on the package with a length of stay pass? I just reviewed my terms and conditions from the WDTC, and although it does state that WDTC is not resposible for losses as a result of acts of God (which a hurricane would be), I read these conditions as applying to the resorts and not to the tickets/parks. I'm a lawyer, I can't help it, but it is a valid question. Also, my husband is convinced that we are "safe" now that a hurricane has hit the Orlando area since we are going in September. But I'm from South LA. and it is not uncommon to have 3 hurricanes in one season hit the same spot.
From what I have seen it would be uncommon for another hurricane to come from the gulf and go across central florida like charley, the last time was in 1960, Hurricane Bonnie, I think you will be safe, you never know though:)

evilchild666

i was at pop century during charley and nobody was paying any attention to the warnings of staying in the rooms. the whole night everybody was standing outside of their rooms with their video cameras (me included). there were also people playing football outside. we also had the length of stay ultimate parkhopper tickets and all we had to do was go to the front desk and they gave us four 1 day ultimate park hoppers good from 8/14/04 to 8/15/24.

awallaceunc

Thanks, everyone, for sharing. It's so nice to hear the way in which Disney handled this- seemingly in the most accomodating way that they could, given the circumstances.

-Aaron

THE MOUSER

hURRICANE cHARLEY

I was there last friday Evening. I was staying at Pop Century. The food court closed as they were nearly out of food around 5 pm. During the hurricane they came around and gave guests a letter stating what to do during the hurricane. They play three disney movies on TV all night. The food court reopened at 11:00 pm til 1:am and all they had was egg sandwiches and macroni and cheese. It was a trip. I will never forget.

bgraham34

I just hope I never get stuck down there when the parks are forced to close for the day. I cant sit still that long especially in a hotel room. i am usually up and out in 15 minutes in the morning. then i walk around and wait for the wife to be ready. I just cant take being confined in a small room.

TheDisneyGirl02

Let's see...what did I do during the hurricane.

I stayed in my room after battling the other guests to get food in the food court at CB. We talked to the people around us while the storm wasn't too bad. Watched the news constantly. Got a letter delivered from CB telling everyone to stay in their rooms, away from windows and to watch continuous showings of Brother Bear, Nemo and Monsters Inc. on TV. We played War (with a deck of cards), read magazines and just freaked out! It was a scary time to be at Disney. Truly and experience!

TheDisneyGirl02

phlydude

dzne4eva said:
It's great to hear in an emergency situation people pulling together and making the best. I hope they stay safe.
Well after reading other's postings here from their resorts, I am even more enraged over the way the Wilderness Lodge handled their storm preps.

1 - Closed the Roaring Forks snack shop @ 6 PM without warning. As people were looking for dinner, there was none to be had aside from ham and turkey sandwhiches for $6 a piece.

2 - We were told to stay in the room. If we left the room, you got the evil eye from the castmembers patrolling the hall-ways.

3 - There was no food tables set-up in the lobby (and the Wilderness lodge has one of the larges lobbies in all the WDW resorts). There were apparently some characters but only those who disobeyed the order to stay in the room were able to see them.

4 - The Merchantile closed @ 6 PM as well. I thought about selling my leftover beers to the alcoholics looking for their fix. Decided to enjoy them myself!

5 - At 11:30, a buffet was set-up in the Whispering Canyon. $10.00 per person all you could eat. Catch~you have to take the food back to your rooms to eat it. Selection: Scrambled eggs, italian sausage, bacon, biscuits and chicken fingers. Don't know about you but all you can eat means all you can eat. Can't eat all you can eat if you are told to go back to the room.

Now, those who have stayed in the WL know that the place is all indoors and you can get to the lobby and the other side of the hotel by staying inside. Keeping people locked up in their room with only ESPN and news about the hurricane (along with movies I have seen so many times I can recite the lines) drove my absolutely stir-crazy! I rigged the TV to my portable DVD player so we could watch "Radio".

After the storm was over and the US Air terminal in the airport was open to the sky, trying to get my stay extended to Tuesday was a task in itself and took a lot of arguing and persuasion to tell them I was not going to pay $399 a night for a room I paid $134 a night for previous to the extension.

BOO to the WL staff who made the brilliant decisions to hold everyone captive and gouge them with the food prices. Seems like not every hotel manager was as stingy as these folks were.

I was also at the Pop Century. After 2 showings of Nemo I think I started talking "Whale". :hammer: We had a little hurricane party in our room and was so thankful Disney was selling rum in the lobby store. We used our tickets to get into the Magic Kingdom on Sat. An experience which will never be forgotten.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom