What did you do?

diddy_mouse

Week 5 has come and gone, average pace has been 12:38. Did 5 miles yesterday and managed my fastest mile (10:18) and frankly I'm not sure how I hit it, that's like 20 seconds faster than a mile on Monday's run. Needless to say I finished my run yesterday in 1:01:52. Two weeks to go before the race.

LindsayLoves

Well, I was real happy with my 10:30 10-miler this morning until I read your post. ;) I would love to run an 11:00 marathon. I think that will be my goal. Beat 5 hours.

5 hours is a great goal. Right now I am trusting in Hal Higdon who is telling me to keep my long runs s-l-o-w but with a 5-10 mile run the day before my long run alternating between normal effort one week and pace the next to ensure that the long runs are done on somewhat tired legs. It will be interesting to see how this works out in the end. I am used to using the long runs as a measuring stick for how I will perform in the marathon but I won't be able to rely on that this time around.

Today was a 10 mile easy run @ 9:21/mi, it was a beautiful morning and in the mid-60s with very little humidity. Couldn't ask for a nicer day for the first double digit run of this training cycle.

@JillC LI - that puppy is adorable

@a2grafix - nice job on the race!

a2grafix

Ran with my fellow Eagles virtually this Fourth of July weekend covering 4.5 miles in the Virtual Team Red, White & Blue Firecracker 4 miler. Perfect afternoon for a run - low 80s, nice breeze, whispy clouds, right around 50 minutes. We get a finishers medal and a shirt, but that is secondary.

10177352_622628137826939_1805264500477461935_n.jpg

And my finish line was this ... Refreshing. Ahhh.
10484780_10152499253292708_8133801446446895531_o.jpg

bethram

I ran the world's largest 10k, the Peachtree Road Race, on Friday morning with 60,000 other runners. I've lived in Atlanta my entire life, but never participated in the tradition until this year.

My SIL were both running it so we stayed in a hotel near the finish line the night before. We ended up walking at least a mile before the race between walking to the MARTA station (our public transportation) and walking from the train to our corrals then another mile after the race from the finishing area back to our hotel. I was in corral D while SIL was in M, there were about 40 minutes between our start times.

It was a good course. I've never run a race where there were spectators along the entire route, it was pretty cool. The first half the the course was pretty much all down hill, there was a big climb known as Cardiac Hill around mile 3 - 4, then the course was flat to slightly uphill until the last quarter of a mile which was downhill again. It was weird to constantly see a sea of humanity on the course in front of me, it never thinned out, it wasn't too overcrowded, but there were several times where I had to slow down for a bit in order to wait for a space to get around slower runners. I finished in 57:24 according to my Garmin which I am very happy with. The weather was perfect, it was in the high 60s when I started and the course was pretty shaded.

It was a very well organized race and I enjoyed the experience. I don't know that I'll ever want to run it again just because, but if someone wanted me to run it with them I probably would. It was weird that you finished 6 miles from where you started and it wasn't a loop like most races. I did manage to find footage online this morning of when I crossed the finish line.

Meb was at the race. He started the race 10 minutes after the last runner trying to pass 22,500 other runners in order to raise $75,000 for Kilometer Kids charity. He had at least three members of the Atlanta Track Club running with him to help clear a path. I read last night that he did meet his goal, passing over 22,700 runners. The article said that he ran it at 6:17 pace which is over a minute slower than his Boston Marathon pace. Here is a link to the article.

HRHPrincessAriel

I realized yesterday that I'm 4 months away from the W&D 1/2 and had done diddly squat. Literally nothing besides a few days in May of a couch to 5 k program.

I said F that this morning and pushed myself(partly because of DH saying I couldn't) and ran the 3.1 without stopping at a 4.5 pace!

I'm not as out of shape as I thought! I teach dance and usually power walk at a 4.0 pace so I didn't flat out kill myself. Lol.

I'm pretty proud of myself and things have to get serious here on out!

Does anyone have a good app suggestion to help track/train?

diddy_mouse

I've been using the Nike+ Running app and it really seems to help keep me on track. I've only missed two runs (due to illness) since I started training at the beginning of last month. They have a "coach" program for each distance and you can do beginner, intermediate, or advanced. I've been using for this 5K I have in two weeks to better my pace.

Texas84

I realized yesterday that I'm 4 months away from the W&D 1/2 and had done diddly squat. Literally nothing besides a few days in May of a couch to 5 k program.

I said F that this morning and pushed myself(partly because of DH saying I couldn't) and ran the 3.1 without stopping at a 4.5 pace!

I'm not as out of shape as I thought! I teach dance and usually power walk at a 4.0 pace so I didn't flat out kill myself. Lol.

I keep an Excel spreadsheet with distance, time and pace with notes on the run. Windy, traffic, etc. I also have a Garmin and it uploads to their web site.

Ariel484

I'm similar to @Texas84 - I dump runs from my Garmin into the Garmin site, but I really keep track of everything in a Google Doc spreadsheet, so it looks just like Excel. I use Google so I can access it anywhere (computer, phone or iPad).

My husband uses RunKeeper in his iPhone and likes it.

Sumrdog

I use my Garmin or run tracker on my iPhone. The zombies run app is fun, if you want to get motivated by the sound of a horde of zombies on your heels. I don't use that as often. I also write everything on a calendar so I have my weekly mileages for the year.

Honestly though I think just keeping track somehow, paper or spreadsheet etc, helps keep me accountable to myself. So whatever system is sustainable for you.
Good luck!

JillC LI

Love the pic with your running buddy @atrus79!

@HRHPrincessAriel, I don't use an app but I do donwload all my outdoor runs from my Garmin onto the computer. Why, I don't know because I never look back at it. The thing I do look back at is the running journal I keep by hand every year. I guess I'm just old-fashioned :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom