What did you do?

Texas84

These bad boys showed up today. Team Garmin!
WP_20140628_15_02_45_Pro-s.jpg

Mad Stitch

2014 Cedar Point Run & Ride Half Marathon Report

Today I ran the the Inaugural Cedar Point Half Marathon and finished with a new PR of 2:06:59! The weekend started on Friday with picking up my race packet at one of the Cedar Point (CP) resorts. With the bib we received a tech shirt and two 13.1 magnets. I'm not thrilled with the tech shirt because it's one of those tight form fitting ones that shows off how much I'm not like the chiseled male model that's always shown wearing them.

3614867d-84e2-4955-92cf-a1806b1ff712_zpsde15b964.jpg

Also included in our race packet was free admission to the park all weekend long. It would be nice if runDisney gave us a perk like that. I was only in the park during the early morning and late evening hours, but I was still able to hit every ride that I wanted to with walk on waits. During the crowded mid day hours I went back to my room at a CP resort and relaxed.

Rev3 handled all of the race logistics. Only 595 people finished the race, so there was plenty of personal space to run but I never felt alone on the course (a good thing). The race started in the parking lot and we ran into and through CP for the first 4 miles. Upon exiting CP we ran 1.5 miles down the causeway that connects the CP peninsula to Sandusky. There was a nice strong breeze while running on the causeway and great views of the lake on either side. Sorry I didn't take pictures while running in the park or on the causeway, I'm not the picture taking type. Once we hit the mainland we ran towards downtown Sandusky. This is where they can improve the race if they do it again. Downtown Sandusky has a nice small town America vibe to it, but at 7-8 a.m. on a Sunday it was deserted. There was little to no crowd support and no on course entertainment. Other than that there were plenty of water, gel, and first aid stations on the course. By this point the breeze was gone and the humidity had really kicked in. After downtown Sandusky it was back to CP and across the causeway again. Besides the view of the coasters in the distance the causeway wasn't so nice the second time around. This is where the crowd support could have really helped out but instead the causeway was filling up with traffic from people making their way to the park for the day. Once across the causeway we ran into crowds of people cheering us across the finish line. It was a good race but it has some room for improvement. Here is the newest addition to my medals.

20140629_122143_zps770e1c31.jpg

Now need to submit my new PR to runDisney for the W&D race!

dreamfinder

Sat was 7.1ish of TM hills, 5@good hills, 2.1ish@rolling hills, 1/4 warmup & cool down. Wasn't terribly into the run today, never got really going. Thanks to Brazil & Chile for stretching their game out so I had something to watch. Sun was 10.1, 5@7:53,2@7:46, then the last 5k at 1/4 negative splits, a 20:19 5k, with a 1/2 warmup & cool down. (Plus a bit of walking while waiting for the Netherlands to eek it out over Mexico)

a2grafix

Forgive me fellow Disney runners for it has been 3.5 months since I last ran a half marathon. No, wait, is running 10 nautical miles (11.5) qualify as almost a half? Anyway my training is underway for the Rock n Roll Cleveland Half in Ohio in October. Anyone running this half marathon with me Oct. 11?

Took 3 weeks off and now starting training for the October half. Ran 4.15 miles Sunday in steamy Downtown Memphis, and going out for a punishing run Monday mid-morning on the last day of June. It's not quite 11am and It's already 82 but with the humidity it already feels like 89. Guess I will have to tailor my runs to either evening, predawn or midnight when it will "feel' the coolest in the upper 70s.

Mad Stitch

Forgive me fellow Disney runners for it has been 3.5 months since I last ran a half marathon. No, wait, is running 10 nautical miles (11.5) qualify as almost a half? Anyway my training is underway for the Rock n Roll Cleveland Half in Ohio in October. Anyone running this half marathon with me Oct. 11?

I ran it last year, not doing it again this year. If you have any questions about Cleveland hit me up.

JillC LI

atrus79

Took a couple weeks off from running ... primarily due to poison ivy issues, but also for a break before the official Dopey training began. Day 1 of 'training' complete ... 4.22 miles at an easy slow pace to work back into things.

Good luck to everyone starting Galloway's Dopey Challenge Training today!

Ariel484

I was going to start Higdon Dopey training in August. Might have to go look at that again. Seems like everyone here is starting now!
I'm starting Higdon Dopey in mid-September, FWIW.

Of course I'm training for a half marathon now so that I'm in good enough shape to actually start Higdon's Dopey plan, soooooo...maybe that technically means I HAVE begun training. o_O

LindsayLoves

I was going to start Higdon Dopey training in August. Might have to go look at that again. Seems like everyone here is starting now!

I think the 29 week plan is overkill unless you need to base build. I used Galloway for my first marathon and I needed that base building but now I know I get burned out with training plans that are over 18 weeks (12-16 week plans are ideal for me based on my normal running schedule and level of fitness).

I just started an 18 week plan for the NYC Marathon which is the first Sunday in November, I have a very loose plan for Dopey but it largely depends on how I recover after NYC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom