What classic disney movie needs a ride.

rodserling27

I too think Jack Sparrow destroyed the original ride's charm...:lookaroun

I wouldn't say it COMPLETELY destroyed it. The rest of the attraction is still completely there, it's not like they seriously changed any thing to the point of no return (see: Journey Into Your Imagination). I'm more upset about the decision to be "Politically Correct" and do away with the Pirates chasing the Women than I am over Jack Sparrow. Seriously, were people REALLY offended about showing a pirate comically chasing a woman?

I've always thought Alice In Wonderland should have more of a presence at WDW, though I know there's an attraction at DL. I'd like to see something to do with the original cartoon 101 Dalmatians. I love that film, and I think it gets overlooked a lot by people today!

HM GhostHostess

I hate simple-minded statements like this, I swear.

I don't think the ride is completely devastated, but it has suffered a huge blow. I respect your opinion, but I don't think that I said anything simple minded. I feel that the ride has become a bit cringe worthy, at least during a few specific scenes, because Disney decided to sell out one of their most beloved attractions.

I'm bothered by the fact that Barbossa has taken over the spot where the original Pirate Captain (based on Blackbeard) commanded the Wicked Wench. It upsets me that Barbossa spouts out the Pirate Captain's old lines while adding in comments about "finding Jack Sparrow." Also, now we get to hear Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack music instead of the original audio during this scene. Yay :brick:

In the original Mayor dunking scene, the pirates were threatening to drown Mayor Carlos if he didn't tell them the location of the town's treasures. Now the Mayor is dunked because the pirates want to find Captain Jack Sparrow. This is point where guests in the boat frantically try to find Jack and take a whole bunch of flash photography photos once they see him. Ugh.

When we see Jack again, he's hiding in a barrel peeking at the Pooped Pirate's map. If Disney had to add in Jack Sparrow, I would rather them put him in this one scene only. It's better than the gluttonous pirate that we got after changes were made to make the scene politically correct. However, once again, all the attention is focused on Jack, as hinted at by the dialogue.

Then, in the final scene, Jack steals the whole ending and the attention is completely focused on him, AGAIN. :hurl:

Walt Disney World's Pirates of the Caribbean is not that long to begin with, so all the additions seem ubiquitous. I just wish I could go back to the days when I didn't have to hear "Jack Sparrow! Jack Sparrow! Where be Jack Sparrow?! Sparrow!!!!!!!!" from the pirate Audio-Animatronics. Why are they looking for him anyways?

Also, notice how all of the characters in the ride appear only once. Except for Jack Sparrow. Why should he be the main focus? I don't think it's fair. Another problem I have with the new additions is the fact that we lost the talking skull and the talking parrot that used to sit outside the attraction. Remember the days when you could hear steel drums and cannon fire in Castillo del Morro's courtyard? Now we hear the Pirates of the Caribbean movie soundtrack.

Skipper Dan

I don't think the ride is completely devastated, but it has suffered a huge blow. I respect your opinion, but I don't think that I said anything simple minded. I feel that the ride has become a bit cringe worthy, at least during a few specific scenes, because Disney decided to sell out one of their most beloved attractions.

I'm bothered by the fact that Barbossa has taken over the spot where the original Pirate Captain (based on Blackbeard) commanded the Wicked Wench. It upsets me that Barbossa spouts out the Pirate Captain's old lines while adding in comments about "finding Jack Sparrow." Also, now we get to hear Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack music instead of the original audio during this scene. Yay :brick:

In the original Mayor dunking scene, the pirates were threatening to drown Mayor Carlos if he didn't tell them the location of the town's treasures. Now the Mayor is dunked because the pirates want to find Captain Jack Sparrow. This is point where guests in the boat frantically try to find Jack and take a whole bunch of flash photography photos once they see him. Ugh.

When we see Jack again, he's hiding in a barrel peeking at the Pooped Pirate's map. If Disney had to add in Jack Sparrow, I would rather them put him in this one scene only. It's better than the gluttonous pirate that we got after changes were made to make the scene politically correct. However, once again, all the attention is focused on Jack, as hinted at by the dialogue.

Then, in the final scene, Jack steals the whole ending and the attention is completely focused on him, AGAIN. :hurl:

Walt Disney World's Pirates of the Caribbean is not that long to begin with, so all the additions seem ubiquitous. I just wish I could go back to the days when I didn't have to hear "Jack Sparrow! Jack Sparrow! Where be Jack Sparrow?! Sparrow!!!!!!!!" from the pirate Audio-Animatronics. Why are they looking for him anyways?

Also, notice how all of the characters in the ride appear only once. Except for Jack Sparrow. Why should he be the main focus? I don't think it's fair. Another problem I have with the new additions is the fact that we lost the talking skull and the talking parrot that used to sit outside the attraction. Remember the days when you could hear steel drums and cannon fire in Castillo del Morro's courtyard? Now we hear the Pirates of the Caribbean movie soundtrack.

Okay, first, I'm tired, second, I don't usually partake in discussion forum debacles (I'm currently in one with Captain(Something) in another thread, and it's laughable). If you think that ain't true, look at my stats, I rarely post on here. I'm just a reader, I like to read the News & Rumors. BUT, again, I'm tired, and I just have to say this...

I said simple-minded, because THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT!

As a writer, I think it's awesome that like basing a movie off a book, they were able to take a pirate script - which had NOTHING TO DO WITH DISNEY - and base it off of the ride. What awesome material to start with?! Then the film that was inspired by the ride, inspired the ride! Jack Sparrow became an iconic Hollywood character the moment he stumbled onto the silver screen. He'll forever stand on the pantheon beside Darth Vadar, Indiana Jones, and James Bond. Period.

... AND THEY DIDN'T EVEN EFFECT THE STORY!

The original story of the ride, was that a group of pirates were ransacking a town, looking for the treasure hold. NOW, they're just looking for Jack Sparrow, who has the key to the treasure hold. Big whoop! And what the heck is wrong with it?! If you don't like the anamatronic, then don't look at it! It's not like he's in a purple dress singing 'I Like To Move It' on a new stage where the Mayor-Dunking Scene is! If anything, it gives the ride a central character.

Yes, I am one of those people who believes they know exactly what Walt would think if he was alive, and I'm sure to get bashed by all the people on this board for it. But I don't care. To prove my point, if Walt was brought back, he wouldn't even like WDW, he didn't want to build a theme park here in the first place. The bankers made him include 'a sequel' to Disneyland, which he didn't even want. Although, I know he'd justify it, because I mean after all, he'd be able to realize he was the brains of the operation, and what else were they going to do? So he'd look past his agressions, and be able to appreciate it then, and love it in that sense. He'd actually love Magic Kingdom more then Disneyland, because aesthetically, it's better! He would be amazed by the technological achievements in ride show. Like 'Everest' (w/the Yeti) and the Indiana Jones Adventure. But anyway, if you could talk to Walt, walk him through everything, society, technological, and cultural advancements, then once he was prepared (after a week or so) show him Pirates of the Caribbean, and say 'Walt, this epic film was actually based on the ride y'all created back then!' He'd be like, 'Wha-?!' Now he probably wouldn't get Jack Sparrow's appeal, a drunken, wussy pirate, but once you explained to him that the public loves him, he'd be like, 'Well, why wouldn't we put him in there?' 'If the films have made 2 Billion dollars, and the people love him?!'

You have to open your minds. There is room for nostalgia, but we need progress. We need to keep moving forward!

It fits coherently, story wise, and tone. They even made Jack's clothing more colorful, with less stain and wear. This does two things: ONE, it means that Jack is younger, and this story takes place before the first film, and TWO, it makes him fit in with all the other colorfully dressed - 1950s/1970s view of - pirates. Hollywood didn't make things too 'gritty' back then like we do now. It's like when Doc dressed Marty up in Back to the Future 3 to go back into the west. He dressed him up like 1950s westerns, not Clint Eastwood westerns. When they did Pirates, the way they made all the pirates clothes, was not like how they'd be in the 2003 film, because we've learned. But by making Jack's vest a solid purple, his shirt un-stained, and adding a yellow scarf (which actually looks good, and cleverly disguises the anamatronic's neck going into the chest) you've made Jack blend in, AND fit the story (of his outfit being newer, and he being younger).

Anyway, I am not an abrasive person at all, I just hate when people bash this whole thing. Pirates is a classic film. It will be put into the Historic Registry as Culturally Important just like Star Wars and Indiana Jones, so what's the problem? Now if it was Eddie Murphy in the Haunted Mansion... that film is NOT a classic, and can be proved so by the fact that it WILL NOT be put into the Historic Registry, so therefor since it is clearly a terrible film, he should not be put in there. Now if a Haunted Mansion film comes along, and it's as good as the first Pirates, why not? The Mansion is my favorite attraction, and if it does the ride justice, I don't have a problem with it.

Also, just one more thing, (assuming you've read through this long, insomnia-driven rant) you mentioned the music... what's wrong with it? Hans Zimmer is an Academy Award winning composer, and his scores are absolutely phenomenal! Would you rather have something by Daft Punk? I know, I know, you'll say, 'No, I'd rather have the original', well since you can't, wouldn't you rather have an Academy Award winning composer's music that is epic in scale, filling the space of a classic attraction? If not, you've obviously never listened to 'Up Is Down', or 'One Day'. If you can appreciate wonderfully scored pieces, you'll understand, once you listen to those two tracks at least.

Anyway, my goofy ranting aside, I do agree with you on the case of the Blackbeard character. Read this if you haven't read anything else I ridiculously typed at 2 o'clock in the morning. As a storyteller, I believe that Blackbeard should have remained the captain of that ship, and Jack and Barbossa should have been under his command. Barbossa should have replaced the pirate dunking the mayor. It would have fit perfectly, and you could have kept the classic character, AND it would have fit better with the story of Pirates (if you know it).

Anyway, there is NO abrasiveness in this at all, just a lot of this subject is on my mind... obviously. If we were all standing in a room at a cocktail party, or eatin' at the Olive Garden, I'd have convinced you in minutes, but you know how it it, comparing typing to actual spoken words and hand movements. I hope you'll consider some of what I said, (if any of it makes sense).

I don't know how y'all do this all the time. It's tiring. Good God. This is why I'm a reader, lol. :lol: :dazzle:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom