What are the must pack items for first time visit

knudsos

We are going to WDW at the end of September for the first time with our 5 year old daughter. I am looking for some advice on what I should absolutely pack for the plane trip (her first time flying) as well as anything specific to bring to the parks in a backpack that would make life so much easier. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Jessie&Buzz

Baby wipes or a wet washcloth in a ziplock baggie, empty ziplock bags for dirty clothes if spilled on. For the plane gum if she chews it or lollipops, books. We got little coloring books with crayons at the Disney Store and took with us.

Upvote 0
We are going to WDW at the end of September for the first time with our 5 year old daughter. I am looking for some advice on what I should absolutely pack for the plane trip (her first time flying) as well as anything specific to bring to the parks in a backpack that would make life so much easier. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

For the plane:
snacks... the planes don't offer much anymore.
Something to do... some kids color... other listen to a little MP3 player... or a handheld game. Anything that fits your particular daughter because its going to feel like an eternity to a kid that wants to get to the park.

In the Park:
Stroller... doesn't matter that she thinks she wants to walk or you think she is old enough to walk. The parks are massive for 5 year old feet and she will have much more fun if she isn't pooped after 3 hours.
Water and snacks.... you can get them in the park but if you do they will cost much more.
Camera... In addition to one for you you might consider giving her one to use too. We did it for our 4 year old so now she has pictured of things that she wanted to remember and not just the picture from the grown up perspective (lots of pictures of the monorail drivers and cast memeber)
Umbrella and poncho... you'll be down during part of hurricane season so its possible that even when a hurricane isn't slapping Florida, one way off may still bring in a few thunder storms.
Change of clothes... while in the park some kids like doing things that get them wet... sometimes very wet. If you want to limit the chance of her getting sick from wearing drenched clothes pack a spare in our park bag.

And throw away the park plans... you'll have no idea what things really going to interest your daughter till you get there... you may find that the princesses she loved are quickly replaced by a love of pirates...who knows.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

Go to your local dollar store and pick up the light-up necklaces and braclets for each night, this way you don't get soaked in buying some $15 light up thing.

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
a copy of The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World. I go four times a year, and I NEVER leave home without it. It's an invaluable resource, and I always end up flipping through it to find some bit of information.

Upvote 0

GoofyMom2

First of all.....congratulations on your first trip with your daughter! You will all have a wonderful time and will have many memories to take home with you.

OK, my list:

Highly recommend already mentioned items.....especially the sunscreen, snacks and child activities for plane.

Other thoughts: hat or visor, child shampoo (hotel soaps are hard on sensitive eyes), favorite stuffed animal if they like to sleep with one, extra batteries for camera (expensive in WDW), extra socks for parks.

OK....needs to be said.....patience! :wave:

Make sure to get an autograph book and large pen for her to collect character autographs.......even kids who don't want to in the beginning will want to soon enough.

Upvote 0

janni518

a copy of The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World. I go four times a year, and I NEVER leave home without it. It's an invaluable resource, and I always end up flipping through it to find some bit of information.

Fodor's "Walt Disney World with Kids" was my bible when the kids were that age.

Upvote 0

Agent1964fem

Don't forget pepto and tylenol.

Wilderness Lodge Aug 1997
Caribbean Beach Aug 2003
Port Orleans - Riverside July 2005
Wilderness Lodge July 2007
Polynesian - 2009

Even miracles take a little time...Fairy Godmother to Cinderella

Upvote 0

Tiggerfanatic

For the plane, gum or lollipops, Disney picture and/or coloring books. Another good activity, if you're planning on leaving a tip for Mousekeeping, have the money for each day already in an envelope, and bring crayons and Disney stickers and let your child decorate the envelopes.

For your backpack, at least two pairs of sunglasses for everyone. I always manage to lose mine somewhere. Bandaids, hand sanitizer, safety pins.

Upvote 0

Bluewaves

Comfortable shoes, very important, plenty of band aids and antibiotic cream you will most likely get blisters, bring snacks she's comfortable with and likes, and give the little one their own camera , preferably disposable that way if it get lost or damaged, oh well no harm done.

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

I recently took two small children to WDW, here's what I would suggest;

- Lysol or One Step disinfecting wipes (travel size). (I'm not a germ freak but the last thing you want is your child getting sick on vacation.) These are great for cleaning anything and everything. You can get the One Step wipes individually packaged so you can throw a couple in your pack for the parks.

- And while we're talking about germs, I also brought a travel size One Step foaming handsanitizer. I find the foaming one better for small kids then the other liquid or gel handsanitizers. So if you have to give your child (or yourself) a quick handwashing you don't have to go on the hunt for a bathroom.

- Ziploc bags (these have already been listed in this post but I think they deserve another mention). You can use them to package up leftovers from your meal. Now I'm not talking about scraping your plate into the bag!:) Your child may not want her carrot sticks or grapes right now but you can be sure that in an hour she'll be saying she's hungry. Foods like that are fine leftover and can get you through to another meal.

I could probably add more but I can't think right now and other people have given you some great ideas as well!:wave:

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

Usually by age 5 they're over it, but some kids are deathly afraid of automatic flushing toilets.

If yours is (or might be), take a pad of post-it notes to put over the sensor. Then when she is ready, she can take it off and let 'er rip.

My kids at 5 years old did not use a stroller, and would have been horrified if I had gotten one for them.

The truth of the matter is, if the kid is ready to rest, the adults probably are as well.

Upvote 0

tharmscott

This isn't actually what you asked for but here's a packing tip I used with my girls. I take large gallon size zippie bags and mark with #1, #2, etc for the number of days we will be there. In each bag I put the outfit, socks, underwear, and hair things for that day. Then each day they just grab a bag to get ready. After wearing the outfit, it goes back in the bag and mark the bag with an x and she will know it's dirty. It made getting around in the mornings much easier. Have fun!!!!!

Upvote 0

Heatherbell

This isn't actually what you asked for but here's a packing tip I used with my girls. I take large gallon size zippie bags and mark with #1, #2, etc for the number of days we will be there. In each bag I put the outfit, socks, underwear, and hair things for that day. Then each day they just grab a bag to get ready. After wearing the outfit, it goes back in the bag and mark the bag with an x and she will know it's dirty. It made getting around in the mornings much easier. Have fun!!!!!

Really good idea!

Someone already mentioned it but definately bring some juice and some snacks. You can just pack a few juice boxes (they will give you ice at the counters/stands etc). It never fails, kids never eat on vacation at meal times but then become ravenously hungry or desperately thirsty at the most inconvenient times (I have 2 girls, 4 and 6, and they NEVER cease to amaze me.) AND...hand sanitizer, not only does it kill nasty buggies but in a pinch it cleans sticky fingers until they can be washed. Have a blast!

EDIT: and kleenex!!!

Upvote 0

janni518

Oh, EXCELLENT tip! I'd only add, that with kids that age be sure to maybe let them help pick out and pack each day's ensemble. Or maybe it was just my daughter who was so opinionated at that age. :lol:

I wonder if this would work with my teens...

Upvote 0

got2lovedisney

In the Parks
No
Don't just bring a pair of well broken-in shoes but bring 2 pairs per person!! Rain showers are pretty common in the afternoon so you'll be walking through puddles. I hate the feel of wet sneakers so I usually bring 2 pairs of sneakers and a pair of strap runners which I wear if the day looks rainy and to Animal Kingdom since I know I'll get soaked on Kali.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom