What are the chances?

carib2150

What are the chances that we see free dining next year? My brother was at the parks during the Memorial Holiday and did not find the parks very busy at all. Thats somewhat alarming to think that the busiest times are not as busy as one expects them to be.....

your thoughts will be appreciated!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
We will see it but to what degree is the question. I think we are going to see more of what we have seen this year which was black out dates and excluded resorts.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
excluded resorts as in the all-stars, etc..????
They will exclude resorts that are meeting projected booking rates. If the value resorts are meeting their number you will not see discounts on them. One of the offers currently running excludes everything below Deluxe resorts and not even all of the deluxe resorts are available.

Now this will not happen year round. There will be deals to be had at all of the resorts but I predict that they will be fewer and even farther between than this year.

Upvote 0

Club Cooloholic

What are the chances that we see free dining next year? My brother was at the parks during the Memorial Holiday and did not find the parks very busy at all. Thats somewhat alarming to think that the busiest times are not as busy as one expects them to be.....

your thoughts will be appreciated!

I thought the parks were pretty crowded. I was really shocked with Animal Kingdom on the Tuesday after. There was no EMH and it was PACKED by 9:30. Maybe everyone is starting to follow the go against EMH touring plan?

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
I think the crowds were normal to a bit higher then usual for Memorial Day. My mom and I were there the Tuesday and Wednesday prior to Memorial Day. MK was pretty crowded and waits were a bit longer then we anticipated. Also, Epcot got really really busy at night - and there were no EMH's for Epcot that night. I agree that the discounts and offers will be about the same as this year. I think the days of buy 4 get 3 free are long gone.

Upvote 0

WDW Vet

They will exclude resorts that are meeting projected booking rates. If the value resorts are meeting their number you will not see discounts on them. One of the offers currently running excludes everything below Deluxe resorts and not even all of the deluxe resorts are available.

Now this will not happen year round. There will be deals to be had at all of the resorts but I predict that they will be fewer and even farther between than this year.

I agree there will still be discounts but the availability may be resort class or even resort specific. Certain dates will be harder to get than others. So to capitalize on discounts you need to be flexible in both your dates and resort selections.

I had a past client contact me and we are trying to set up a large family reunion with about ten families with 3 of them from the UK. So I get an email from a UK family about getting the free dining for 2012 or the 15% discount. I explained there are no discounts for 2012 and she emails me this link to Disney UK.

I went on this site and I was floored. Pre 2012 bookings can get 15% off select resorts. Free dining on select dates throughout 2012. Not the first quarter of the year like they do here but different dates all year.

That's just UK. Suppose Disney is doing promotions world wide. Understandable the flight is a killer but that will bump up rooms and make it easier for resorts to hit projected occupancy levels.

Is this what Disney always did to market abroad first? Considering how the dollar is in the world Disney is a discounted vacation for many countries, especially now. So only time will tell.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I agree there will still be discounts but the availability may be resort class or even resort specific. Certain dates will be harder to get than others. So to capitalize on discounts you need to be flexible in both your dates and resort selections.

I had a past client contact me and we are trying to set up a large family reunion with about ten families with 3 of them from the UK. So I get an email from a UK family about getting the free dining for 2012 or the 15% discount. I explained there are no discounts for 2012 and she emails me this link to Disney UK.

I went on this site and I was floored. Pre 2012 bookings can get 15% off select resorts. Free dining on select dates throughout 2012. Not the first quarter of the year like they do here but different dates all year.

That's just UK. Suppose Disney is doing promotions world wide. Understandable the flight is a killer but that will bump up rooms and make it easier for resorts to hit projected occupancy levels.

Is this what Disney always did to market abroad first? Considering how the dollar is in the world Disney is a discounted vacation for many countries, especially now. So only time will tell.
Disney will do quite a bit to attract UK guests. The biggest reasons are they tend to stay 2-3 weeks, never leave property and spend money like it is water. Some UK promotions can even be combined. I remember a couple of years ago they were able to get free dining, a room discount and discounted 14-21 day tickets. Almost makes me want to move to England.

Upvote 0

sbkline

I think we will, or if not "free dining", then some equivalent offer which will amount to pretty much the same savings. I seem to notice a pattern the past few years that Disney releases the "official" rates in August, but then offers discounts pretty much all year long such that no matter when you go (excluding perhaps a few blackout dates here and there for really busy periods), you won't be paying the "official" rate.

While I don't object to a discount by any means, it does seem a little dishonest or deceptive to me to employ this type of strategy. Just to make up some numbers to illustrate my point, if they advertise that this resort is $500 per night, but then offer some kind of discount perpetually throughout the year, such that you pay $200 a night no matter when you go, then the de facto rate ends up being $200 a night. I work at Walmart, and I have seen similar methods used. Something might be, say, $4 originally, then a price change will come down raising it to $5, then it will go on rollback to $4.50, just so they can slap a rollback sign on it and advertise it as being "on sale", when in reality, you're paying 50 cents more than what you were paying originally. I'm making up numbers here, as I can't remember the exact prices involved, but hopefully you get my point. I know all businesses do it and it's perfectly common, but I can't help seeing it as a little shady. If they are going to charge $200 a night throughout the year, then they should just advertise it as $200 a night, for simple honesty, rather than advertise it as $500 a night, then discount it no matter when you go. I understand the business sense of it and how people like a perceived discount, but just because it makes good business sense, that doesn't make it honest.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I think we will, or if not "free dining", then some equivalent offer which will amount to pretty much the same savings. I seem to notice a pattern the past few years that Disney releases the "official" rates in August, but then offers discounts pretty much all year long such that no matter when you go (excluding perhaps a few blackout dates here and there for really busy periods), you won't be paying the "official" rate.

While I don't object to a discount by any means, it does seem a little dishonest or deceptive to me to employ this type of strategy. Just to make up some numbers to illustrate my point, if they advertise that this resort is $500 per night, but then offer some kind of discount perpetually throughout the year, such that you pay $200 a night no matter when you go, then the de facto rate ends up being $200 a night. I work at Walmart, and I have seen similar methods used. Something might be, say, $4 originally, then a price change will come down raising it to $5, then it will go on rollback to $4.50, just so they can slap a rollback sign on it and advertise it as being "on sale", when in reality, you're paying 50 cents more than what you were paying originally. I'm making up numbers here, as I can't remember the exact prices involved, but hopefully you get my point. I know all businesses do it and it's perfectly common, but I can't help seeing it as a little shady. If they are going to charge $200 a night throughout the year, then they should just advertise it as $200 a night, for simple honesty, rather than advertise it as $500 a night, then discount it no matter when you go. I understand the business sense of it and how people like a perceived discount, but just because it makes good business sense, that doesn't make it honest.
It is but it works incredibly well which is why they do it. Most people will say they want honestly, transparency, etc but they want to feel like they are special and getting a deal. Disney is just playing to the vanity that exists in all of us.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom