What are some of the worst immersive lands?

How very interesting that a few people don't think Pandora works at DAK. I find it to be completely immersive--except for the fact that few CMs still use any Na'vi, even simply saying "hi" or "hello" instead of "kaltxi." However, I'm going to agree with the people who find DHS to have lost its immersive quality. It used to be a big studio tour, and it was FUN! It's still fun in its own way, but I miss the "studio" experiences.

irishmom58

MGM. But, the potential is there. I'd love to see a "Movie-world" of sorts where we could walk through different movie lands. For instance, we could move from TSL to Cars Land to Monsters Inc. Land to Frozen Land. It could fit the MGM bill a little better.

Not Frozen Land, but would love Inside Out Land. The whole 'Islands' could be a coaster going through Family Island, Friendship Island, etc. Bing Bong could lead us through it on the Train of Thought. The dream sequence where you star in your own dream would be cool, and of course characters to mingle and meet. The pizza place with broccoli pizza, a ride similar to tea cups but it could be the hockey rink. A ride similar to Figment with the Abstract Thinking. You could get a memory marble with your photo adventure inside like a little hologram.

spock8113

I don't think Pandora is very immersive. Now hear me out, the floating mountains are amazing, and the Navi river ride is immersive BUT up until last week, I had no idea that section of the park was considered Pandora. I thought just the floating mountains and the two rides were it. Everything else over there looks standard AK. Plus the lighting at night contrasted with river right is disappointing to say the least.

Agreed, IMHO.

JusticeDisney

I don't think Pandora is very immersive. Now hear me out, the floating mountains are amazing, and the Navi river ride is immersive BUT up until last week, I had no idea that section of the park was considered Pandora. I thought just the floating mountains and the two rides were it. Everything else over there looks standard AK. Plus the lighting at night contrasted with river right is disappointing to say the least.
Respect your opinion, but could not disagree more. Pandora, in my opinion, is the most immersive and best themed land anywhere in any of the four parks. By a mile. Until SWGE opens, of course.

Po'Rich

they didn't decide to spread out more with a clever nighttime show but rather pack all together with a projection show.
Waaaaay off topic, but this got me to thinking. You know what would be really cool as a night-time show? Instead of have a singular projection show that focuses on a central spot, have a distributed show that is throughout the lands. The show would be somewhat different if you happened to see it in Adventureland rather than New Fantasy Land, but there'd be show elements occurring throughout the park. It could be truly immersive and cause crowds to spread out rather than congregate in the hub (of course, the point in having them congregate in the hub probably has more to do with helping to usher people towards the exit).

AEfx

There's an interesting irony in the fact that Star Wars Galaxy's Edge will be the most immersive land Disney ever built while sitting in the least immersive park. Maybe we could hope for better once all the construction is complete around Hollywood Studios? However with theming, it is kinda a hot mess.

I was hoping that Galaxy's Edge was just going to be the beginning, and that we would see that type of immersiveness (and more Star Wars, hopefully, too) start to be developed all over the park.

Then they put TSL smack dab next to Galaxy's Edge, so that hope was crushed.

The Empress Lilly

Waaaaay off topic, but this got me to thinking. You know what would be really cool as a night-time show? Instead of have a singular projection show that focuses on a central spot, have a distributed show that is throughout the lands. The show would be somewhat different if you happened to see it in Adventureland rather than New Fantasy Land, but there'd be show elements occurring throughout the park. It could be truly immersive and cause crowds to spread out rather than congregate in the hub (of course, the point in having them congregate in the hub probably has more to do with helping to usher people towards the exit).
That would be awesome and alleviate so many problems!

geekza

I was hoping that Galaxy's Edge was just going to be the beginning, and that we would see that type of immersiveness (and more Star Wars, hopefully, too) start to be developed all over the park.

Then they put TSL smack dab next to Galaxy's Edge, so that hope was crushed.
I mean, Fantasyland is right next to Liberty Square and, until they installed the Tower of Toilets, they were able to design the "hand-off" pretty well. It's possible to create effective transitions between two disparate themes. I kind of side with you, though, that I don't think that Disney is even bothering to try with GE and TSL.

KBLovedDisney

IMHO

MGM was the best because you were in the movies in supposedly during Hollywood's golden era of movies and music.

DHS is the worst because you are in limbo.

geekza

IMHO

MGM was the best because you were in the movies in supposedly during Hollywood's golden era of movies and music.

DHS is the worst because you are in limbo.
They painted themselves into a corner when the studio was built. It was designed around the idea that it would be a working studio and, at the time, they didn't see those circumstances ever changing. Unfortunately, they changed rather quickly. Being a non-Union state, they didn't have access to the skilled technicians necessary to pull off production and ended up having to pay lots of money for Union people to come in anyway. Also, the tax breaks that were in place in Florida for film and TV production went away. It ended up costing the company a lot more to film in Florida than in other places. Once that became the case, the "studio" part of Disney/MGM closed up shop. They were left with a park where the majority of the land was being taken up by empty soundstages and production buildings and an unused backlot with fake studio tours. They had no choice but to throw the original theme out the window and use the land for other types of attractions. That's how we got to where we are today.

Disstevefan1

I don't know if it's "the worst" but I personally find the Dinoland area unappealing and disappointing. I agree that dinosaurs are animals worthy of recognition in AK. But, the land does the theme so much disservice. It could have been done in more of a Jurassic Park (eek! non-Disney reference) way than in this Flintstones (eek! another non-Disney reference) retro-vibe way. It's irritating because the ride Dinosaur is really good, and the line is actually informative. But, outside of that, the vibe is that this is all just carnival games and fictitious play; like the dinos were all just made up and were a pop-culture thing in the mid-20th century, so let's go back to that time period. I feel like the theming took away a lot of potential for learning where the other reality-based lands in AK (obviously exclude Pandora) really immerse you in the culture/environment/truth of those lands.

Specifically , the carnival area! I never liked that, the other areas within Dinoland are better but not great

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom