What are some of the worst immersive lands?

BlakeW39

Dinoland U.S.A. and future world. Dinoland doesn't have to be a jungle - that would be cool but it could be great to represent the American badlands of the west, a place of paleontological sites and digs on top a land of red rock and dirt - little to no vegetation. Imagine a place like Utah - with dinosaur skeletons around and paleotolical themed restaurants. It'd be a world class site, a center of research on dinosaurs. Future world needs to go back to its roots with more timelessness. I think that's Future world's problem - the future is a moving target and the way they depicted it felt more 80s than future. So it feels dated now.

JohnD

I don't think Pandora is very immersive. Now hear me out, the floating mountains are amazing, and the Navi river ride is immersive BUT up until last week, I had no idea that section of the park was considered Pandora. I thought just the floating mountains and the two rides were it. Everything else over there looks standard AK. Plus the lighting at night contrasted with river right is disappointing to say the least.

I think you’ve hit on something. The thread asked about the “worst immersive”. Much of the discussion here is lands that are the “least immersive.” Pandora went all in on full immersion. The result is lots of fake foliage that blends in with the rest of AK and two attractions. While FOP is by far one of the best attractions at WDW, for the money they poured into Pandora the immersion fell flat.

winstongator

There's an interesting irony in the fact that Star Wars Galaxy's Edge will be the most immersive land Disney ever built while sitting in the least immersive park. Maybe we could hope for better once all the construction is complete around Hollywood Studios? However with theming, it is kinda a hot mess.
I think DHS is in the early stages of a long term change. Launch bay will definitely change, perhaps star tours too. There will be more changes after GE opens. I’m hopeful.

winstongator

I’d agree on future world. We don’t need a future world today. Presenting today’s technology would blow 99% of peoples minds. I’ll talk about what I or my wife do for a living and people are interested but intimidated by some of the math & science to get to it - they’ll say, oh that’s something I could never do. Give it the Feynman treatment - make a complicated topic understandable - add some weenies & flash, and not only can you educate, you can spark the interest of young kids in science.

Transistors are the building block of all electronics. How many could you fit on a human hair?

geekza

I’d agree on future world. We don’t need a future world today. Presenting today’s technology would blow 99% of peoples minds. I’ll talk about what I or my wife do for a living and people are interested but intimidated by some of the math & science to get to it - they’ll say, oh that’s something I could never do. Give it the Feynman treatment - make a complicated topic understandable - add some weenies & flash, and not only can you educate, you can spark the interest of young kids in science.

Transistors are the building block of all electronics. How many could you fit on a human hair?
That's exactly what Future World was in its initial years. It was all about, "Here's how far we've come, here's the cool things we can do today, and here are the possibilities for the future." It took what could have been dry information and made it fun and interesting. The problem was the expense of keeping it current wasn't something Disney was willing or able to shoulder, so over the years it eventually became out of date. After a while, people began to make jokes about it and Disney was able to say, "See? People don't want this kind of park. The want more action and less learning!" That snowballed until we've ended up with today's Future World. We have two attractions that are fairly similar to their original incarnations and the rest have been completely overhauled, demolished, or simply shut down and used for festival space. The former Communicore buildings are like unsightly warts at this point. I guess you could say that Future World is "rotten to the core." I'll show myself out.

Damon7777

BUT up until last week, I had no idea that section of the park was considered Pandora. I thought just the floating mountains and the two rides were it. Everything else over there looks standard AK.

No way.
Are you for real with that?
Guests enter Pandora 2 ways: bridge close to Tiffin/Nomad Lounge and the wood planked deck walkway south of Lion King show. Both entry points feature original sound piped in, original foliage + plant species, exotic artifacts, signs and architecture(bridges and bunkers)that has been overgrown with new plant life.

Once you reach those two entry points the environment vastly changes. I mean a blind person would know damn fast based on the new sounds alone.

Last edited:

BlakeW39

I think you’ve hit on something. The thread asked about the “worst immersive”. Much of the discussion here is lands that are the “least immersive.” Pandora went all in on full immersion. The result is lots of fake foliage that blends in with the rest of AK and two attractions. While FOP is by far one of the best attractions at WDW, for the money they poured into Pandora the immersion fell flat.

It didn't fall flat - it is one thing to say that you didn't like being immersed in a jungle, but it does immerse you in a jungle. Animal Kingdom is about nature - it should immerse you in an environment, not just a city. I'd say that Pandora is the most immersive fictional land of WDW, and it rivals HP for Orlando. It's pretty dope to me.

FettFan

My vote is going for the current state of Tomorrowland.
- There's nothing "tomorrow" about the Tomorrowland Speedway. It's essentially just go-karts on a guided track.
- Stitch is terrible. Not the animatronic itself....but the entire storyline. You're visiting a PRISON... At DISNEY WORLD.
- Monsters Inc. and Buzz Lightyear need to be shipped across to DHS.
- Carousel of Progress needs a renovation and a new final act.

winstongator

That's exactly what Future World was in its initial years. It was all about, "Here's how far we've come, here's the cool things we can do today, and here are the possibilities for the future." It took what could have been dry information and made it fun and interesting. The problem was the expense of keeping it current wasn't something Disney was willing or able to shoulder, so over the years it eventually became out of date. After a while, people began to make jokes about it and Disney was able to say, "See? People don't want this kind of park. The want more action and less learning!" That snowballed until we've ended up with today's Future World. We have two attractions that are fairly similar to their original incarnations and the rest have been completely overhauled, demolished, or simply shut down and used for festival space. The former Communicore buildings are like unsightly warts at this point. I guess you could say that Future World is "rotten to the core." I'll show myself out.
I went as a kid in the 80’s and was not impressed with the technology. And I am a nerd who ended up an engineer. My wife said edutainment is dead. I think it can be redone better.

winstongator

You and I just had very different experiences. Fair enough.
I think we’d agree on most people’s experiences in today’s future world.

Things I’d like to see: medical imaging, wireless communications, digital imaging, optical communications, semiconductors/nanotechnology genetics(?)/CRISPR. Those are all reasonably mature technologies but most of the population has no idea how they work.

ThemeParkTraveller

I think you nailed it
But Critter Country seems like it doesn't deserve to be listed with those others.

Agree on Critter Country. I also don't think I would agree with Mermaid Lagoon being one of the worst either, just that the indoor portion of it is the least impressive area at TDS. While it may mostly just be a collection of flat rides, the entire environment (I'm including the gorgeous exterior too) is full of detail and immersive to me. It's definitely a departure from the more grounded/realistic environments in the rest of TDS, but the whimsical take on the underwater world works for me. I hate flat rides, but I still consider it a place worth exploring every visit.

TwilightZone

Original Poster
My vote is going for the current state of Tomorrowland.
- There's nothing "tomorrow" about the Tomorrowland Speedway. It's essentially just go-karts on a guided track.
- Stitch is terrible. Not the animatronic itself....but the entire storyline. You're visiting a PRISON... At DISNEY WORLD.
- Monsters Inc. and Buzz Lightyear need to be shipped across to DHS.
- Carousel of Progress needs a renovation and a new final act.
That's just bad ride choices, I wouldn't count that as the land being poorly themed.
A good example of a poorly themed land would be dinoland usa or for more recent pixar pier.

NickWilde

One from each park: (Only U.S. tho, as those are the only ones I’ve been to)

WDW:

Tomorrowland - MK

FW - EPCOT

I don’t really have anything to say for HS, especially since it’s going through a big identity crisis, similar to DCA on the West Coast

Dinoland - AK

DLR:

Tomorrowland again, even less enjoyable out west due to the lack of the People Mover - DL

Pixar Pier - DCA (Like I mentioned earlier, DCA’s kinda going through an identity crisis, but this time I’m actually able to pinpoint a worst themed land)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom