What’s Wrong With Disney World Restaurants...

spacemtnfanatic

You want to see waste? Go to a WDW buffet at closing time. The entire buffet will be 100% full and stocked and the entire thing goes into the trash. I'm talking 50-100 pieces of chicken, an entire uncut prime rib, a full serving container or potatoes or pasta. Directly from the oven into the garbage.

rob0519

In a nutshell. This...

Chef Mickey's
chef-mickeys-00.jpg
View Gallery

Magic Kingdom Resort Area
Disney's Contemporary Resort

Buffet/Family Style, Character Dining
$$$ ($35 to $59.99 per adult)

Bolded is the real issue.

Sixty dollars for a buffet. "Kids" aka a 3yo is $30 for a buffet. A three year old eats one Waffle. $30. Hard to walk out of a place like that with even an ounce of dignity left.

I actually think Food and Bev at Disney is a pretty decent quality. Especially for the numbers they turn over, and the fact it's a theme park resort. The prices though, they are exorbitant. I can't remember the last time I got the check at a Disney F&B location and didn't feel ripped off.

Totally agree with this your take on pricing. $35-$60 for the same quality of food you get at a Denny's or IHOP but, it is a buffet.

That being said Disney is not really charging you for food quality. They are charging you for the experience. Where else on the planet and you and your children meet and take pictures with the 5 most iconic Disney characters while, depending where your sitting still see a monorail train run though a hotel? We have a cognitively disabled adult son and the characters atChef Mickey's is one of the things about a Disney that makes him the happiest. If it weren't for that, I'm sure I would never eat there again.

rob0519

You want to see waste? Go to a WDW buffet at closing time. The entire buffet will be 100% full and stocked and the entire thing goes into the trash. I'm talking 50-100 pieces of chicken, an entire uncut prime rib, a full serving container or potatoes or pasta. Directly from the oven into the garbage.

Unfortunately, there is a huge amount of waste at a buffet based on the as much as you care to eat concept. Enough food has to be prepared and ready to serve the numbers of reservations for the night. It's an inexact science based on previous experience. There are health laws on what can and cannot be done with already prepared food. Sadly, disposal is the least expensive and quickest option availalbe to a restaurant. Additionally, the cost of that food is figured into the price each of us pay, which is also a waste of money.

jbhodj

I would point out that these places still see customers paying more and filling the tables. Nothing against a good chat session and venting but really nothing is gonna change as long as the masses are willing to shovel mediocre food down their gullets and pay huge $$ for it.

BoarderPhreak

I would point out that these places still see customers paying more and filling the tables. Nothing against a good chat session and venting but really nothing is gonna change as long as the masses are willing to shovel mediocre food down their gullets and pay huge $$ for it.
Hey, it works for Vegas and cruise ships, so why not right?

Plowboy

. The bean counters ruined Kona recently with its awful new menu so thats another one we dont go to anymore. We have found that the ones with outside management like Tutto Italia and Marrakesh are much better service and food and portions and are more worthy of a higher price.
Brown Derby is another example, while still being really nice there with good food (one of my favs still), the prices are ridiculous for what you get, and the service seems to have a slow non caring attitude as of late. All of this is just my own opinion of course from being there often and noticing first hand. Regarding service it all depends on who you get, many are super fantastic, others just don't want to be there. That can be anywhere really not just dining, (emporium looking at you, yikes some mean ones work in there).
@aladdin2007

Bingo--the 3rd party restaurants are run much better in our experience, plus the menus are typically larger. We have crossed Citricos, Narcoossee's, Artist Point and Yachtsman Steakhouse off our list over the years. Just not good enough for the price! These signature restaurants are an excuse to charge more for a perceived value-works in other places, but most of the time the restaurant fails to deliver. Service, food, food temperature you name it. My DF and I had a steak from Yachtmans-K.C. strip, no taste, unseasoned, service was awkward. Citricos menu is boring me lately and Artist Point has nose dived again. These places all had the same problem-serving lukewarm food! Unacceptable for the price and experience you are paying for.

Now California Grill & Brown Derby have been absolutely fabulous the past few trips-Cali since the rennovations since before it had some serious issues.The Boathouse is also a favorite new spot. I have abandoned many of the signature restaurants for newer spots at Disney Springs. Splitsville & Homecomin' are a great value and both have attentive servers and managers. Trattoria Al Forno was outstanding last fall with the big family trip.

Even our last trip we grabbed lunch at Casey's-what a disaster that place is. Hot dogs were barely warm. French fries were okay, but you can't serve warm food. You only serve hot dogs-keep up with production! They really need to have a manager expediting the orders-the employees were just yelling back and forth at each other over the food.

Totally agree about Kona too-turned into a food factory. We stay at the Polynesian for our winter trip, which was two weeks ago and ate at KC 5 times during the trip. DF isn't big on sweets for breakfast so he has eggs or omelets. The ham and cheese omelet was different daily. The amount of ham was a joke to the point of just serve a cheese omelet for Pete's sake. The potatoes, which he doesn't care for in general were cooked sometimes, almost barely cooked other times or bland. I will say DM and I had macadamia nut pancakes and Tonga toast the other days and they were both great. Her toast was greasy one day, which was from the oil not being hot enough from being busy. One day we dined at the Grand Floridian Cafe and it was fantastic and another day we went to IHOP.

For future trips we will be reverting back to regular dining restaurants and visiting Disney Springs more frequently to add variety.

and that's just my opinion[/QUOTE]

They did the same thing to Sanaa. I forget the name of the dish (and I'm too lazy this a.m. to look it up), but they reduced the number of choices within the dish from two to one and ... surprise, surprise, surprise, the price remains the same. Apparently TDO thinks (or hopes) that we don't realize we're paying the same price and getting less.

aladdin2007

@aladdin2007

Bingo--the 3rd party restaurants are run much better in our experience, plus the menus are typically larger. We have crossed Citricos, Narcoossee's, Artist Point and Yachtsman Steakhouse off our list over the years. Just not good enough for the price! These signature restaurants are an excuse to charge more for a perceived value-works in other places, but most of the time the restaurant fails to deliver. Service, food, food temperature you name it. My DF and I had a steak from Yachtmans-K.C. strip, no taste, unseasoned, service was awkward. Citricos menu is boring me lately and Artist Point has nose dived again. These places all had the same problem-serving lukewarm food! Unacceptable for the price and experience you are paying for.

Now California Grill & Brown Derby have been absolutely fabulous the past few trips-Cali since the rennovations since before it had some serious issues.The Boathouse is also a favorite new spot. I have abandoned many of the signature restaurants for newer spots at Disney Springs. Splitsville & Homecomin' are a great value and both have attentive servers and managers. Trattoria Al Forno was outstanding last fall with the big family trip.

Even our last trip we grabbed lunch at Casey's-what a disaster that place is. Hot dogs were barely warm. French fries were okay, but you can't serve warm food. You only serve hot dogs-keep up with production! They really need to have a manager expediting the orders-the employees were just yelling back and forth at each other over the food.

Totally agree about Kona too-turned into a food factory. We stay at the Polynesian for our winter trip, which was two weeks ago and ate at KC 5 times during the trip. DF isn't big on sweets for breakfast so he has eggs or omelets. The ham and cheese omelet was different daily. The amount of ham was a joke to the point of just serve a cheese omelet for Pete's sake. The potatoes, which he doesn't care for in general were cooked sometimes, almost barely cooked other times or bland. I will say DM and I had macadamia nut pancakes and Tonga toast the other days and they were both great. Her toast was greasy one day, which was from the oil not being hot enough from being busy. One day we dined at the Grand Floridian Cafe and it was fantastic and another day we went to IHOP.

For future trips we will be reverting back to regular dining restaurants and visiting Disney Springs more frequently to add variety.

and that's just my opinion

They did the same thing to Sanaa. I forget the name of the dish (and I'm too lazy this a.m. to look it up), but they reduced the number of choices within the dish from two to one and ... surprise, surprise, surprise, the price remains the same. Apparently TDO thinks (or hopes) that we don't realize we're paying the same price and getting less.[/QUOTE]

Interesting reviews (to plowboy above) and opinions you had and very much agree. I have to ask you mentioned Splitsville. I didnt realize that had a restaurant in it? I thought it was just a fast service counter? Thanks

First - I realize it is WDW - you are open 365 days a year, and you are doing hundreds, if not over a thousand covers a night in each restaurant. You also have a large number of patrons who base there decision to dine at a location on a menu they looked at over three months ago (and this is WDWs fault too) so you cannot go changing the menu depending on what you can fresh and local that week (unless you are Artist Point and we are talking about Copper River Salmon). That forces you to buy a lot of your stuff from a provider such as Sysco.

Second - I realize it is WDW and there is going to be a mark up because you have a captive audience.

However, the food had gone well below Sysco levels. It is for the most part unadventurous, uninspired, and lacking in any real identity. Same breast of chicken, same side of green beans, same side of three or four starches that are on the rotation. Just add a different sauce (from a bag) to make it "unique" to a given restaurant. Then charge DOUBLE what the same quality food would get you in the real world. Not a 10 to 20% theme park mark up, but damn near double the pricing.

There are some places in WDW that do have a decent product, and where I have been pleasantly surprised. But most of the times I leave feeling like I ate at the local bar down the street and was robbed in the process.

-dave
THIS. I assumed they were placing massive orders all at once with particular distributors, then dispersing the ingredients to the restaurants, so it starts to feel like everyone is offering similar things at the same time. Wish it didn't have to be that way. Ever notice how Disney is always introducing new dishes, snacks, treats, etc? Sometimes those food items seem to hit a home run with lots of people, whether we are talking gourmet or street/carnival fare. They are maybe only offered in a few locations, but they are consistently popular AT those locations. SO! Those items would stick around, be safe from elimination, right? On their way to being Disney food traditions, even. And then they disappear. Only thing I can think of is the cost per ratio of ordering smaller amounts of all different ingredients to make highly specific dishes depending on where you're eating.

Phonedave

THIS. I assumed they were placing massive orders all at once with particular distributors, then dispersing the ingredients to the restaurants, so it starts to feel like everyone is offering similar things at the same time. Wish it didn't have to be that way. Ever notice how Disney is always introducing new dishes, snacks, treats, etc? Sometimes those food items seem to hit a home run with lots of people, whether we are talking gourmet or street/carnival fare. They are maybe only offered in a few locations, but they are consistently popular AT those locations. SO! Those items would stick around, be safe from elimination, right? On their way to being Disney food traditions, even. And then they disappear. Only thing I can think of is the cost per ratio of ordering smaller amounts of all different ingredients to make highly specific dishes depending on where you're eating.

I doubt some of the "special treats" are so special. Once when I was at F&W I was near the convention hall in EPCOT (I was waiting for it to open - they were holding the US finals for the Bocuse D'Or there that year) and I watched them stock the Morocco ? (maybe) cart with baklava. I watched them take the pre-made, frozen sheet out of retail boxes (like the kind you get at Restaurant Depot) and load them on to half sheet pans and stack them into the cart for transport. Not so special.

I have friends and family in the food industry - on the production side. Some producers cannot ramp up production enough, and if they cannot find a co-packer, then they cannot match demand. Or sometimes, some places will not buy from you if you use a co-packer. Places like Trader Joe's and Wal-Mart and both a blessing and a curse to manufacturers. They can make your product take off like gangbusters, but if you are not prepared to ramp up production, and you cannot secure the capital funding to do so, then you fall flat on your face. I suspect that winning a contract at WDW is similar.

-dave

Disnutz311

Disney World Purist
Original Poster
Disney is an interesting place when it comes to wining and dining. By and large, I've been moderately happy with the balance between price and quality, but...

Sanaa for instance. I found the quality to be outstanding and the pricing fairly commensurate. Boma on the other hand, will never see my business again. It's pricey enough for an adult but outrageous for children. And while one could argue an adult could eat a lot of expensive stuff - there isn't that much of it. Sure, the meats are obviously it, but everything else? Meh. And what kid will eat their money's worth? Not a one. Then there's the drinks and overall experience. It takes forever to get seated, forever to get your drink ordered (and served), forever to make your way through the line for food... Yeah, I'm good on Boma.

Then there's the drinks; I'm talking cocktails and "novelty drinks" - not beer and wine, which are "known quantities." Sure, they're overpriced, but it is what it is - and you know what you're getting. All the slushies and mixed up stuff, especially in the parks though? I suppose one can't fault Disney (too much) as they stick to strict measures of alcohol (jiggers) in their recipes. A bartender giving you a "strong drink" because he likes you? Yeah, ain't happening (or at least, extreeeemely rare). Same exact deal as buying slushies in N'Orleans or Key West. It's watered down stuff for tourists - for a lot of money. Stick to the beer, wine or shots.

Strict recipes need to be stuck to in order to make the exact drink over and over again. That’s why jiggers are used. Plus low skills of mass quantity bartenders.

The cocktails could be better at WDW, but this ain’t a booze cruise either.

Disnutz311

Disney World Purist
Original Poster

That’s all about Health Code and not much to keep and reheat when it’s already cooked to heck and back. I wouldn’t want them keeping food past it’s prime. Should be donated to a food bank and shocked that it’s not.

Disnutz311

Disney World Purist
Original Poster
Glad to see the thread thriving. I think it might be beneficial to separate a couple of types of dining...

Festival Food - If people think they should get this amazing top notch quality food they need a reality check. It’s food served from a mobile kitchen, by a culinary intern making less than $10 an hour. Better than a carnival, but produced for the masses. It’s passable food for drinking around the world.

Quick Service - Imagine 100 chicken breast cooked on the grill and finished in a microwave oven of sorts. A 50 gallon kettle making mashed potatoes and a 75 gallon skillet making corn. It all being placed in hot boxes to keep warm and moist and then plated on a assembly line for 4 hours straight. Not much skill other than pencil pushers in an office.

Signature Restaurants - This is where it could be and should be better. Like independent restaurants, cooked to order. I fear that Disney treats them like the above. If there is an actual Chef of the location with a team it will be good. That’s why we all prefer the 3rd party resturants cause they do it correctly.

Until we all don’t mind waiting and paying for good food and drink, it’s feed the cattle day in and day out. Hold anyone up, any restaurant (Disney or not) to higher standards. Hate to say it, but complain, write an email, or praise what you were served.

Last edited:

Disnutz311

Disney World Purist
Original Poster
180 days !!!! sorry what. I cannot even book per se that much in advance

Great restaurant! Can you imagine a restaurant at Disney 1/72 of what Per Se is? Ad Hoc should/could be possible.

By the way, Eleven Madison Park makes Per Se look like Cracker Barrel. A must try if you haven’t.

Hockey89

Great restaurant! Can you imagine a restaurant at Disney 1/72 of what Per Se is? Ad Hoc should/could be possible.

By the way, Eleven Madison Park makes Per Se look like Cracker Barrel. A must try if you haven’t.
V&A is pretty darn good... I've been to Per Se, TFL, 11 ect etc.... The view from Per Se may be the coolest... Per se is not that much worse than 11....

PS: The fried chicken at Ad Hoc :)

BoarderPhreak

Clearly Disney isn't the place to expect buybacks and strong pours. Third-parties have more discretion when it comes to that sort of thing.

Phonedave

Clearly Disney isn't the place to expect buybacks and strong pours. Third-parties have more discretion when it comes to that sort of thing.

Not to mention that many places require measured amount of alcohol for legal reasons. If your bartenders are constantly over-pouring, you have a harder time knowing just how much a person has been served.

It may not matter in smaller places, but for places with conceived deep pockets that are litigation targets (like Disney) there is a reason they do this sort of stuff.

-dave

spacemtnfanatic

That’s all about Health Code and not much to keep and reheat when it’s already cooked to heck and back. I wouldn’t want them keeping food past it’s prime. Should be donated to a food bank and shocked that it’s not.
Health codes say it can't be donated. I understand this is how it has to be. It is just the ridiculous over preparation of food. It's not a problem exclusive to Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom