What’s with the “*"

TDF

Original Poster
Out of curiosity on the DCL website I noticed some destinations have the little “*” thing on it. Does anyone know what it is and why it is there?

EX:
Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands*

Disneyfalcon

Out of curiosity on the DCL website I noticed some destinations have the little “*” thing on it. Does anyone know what it is and why it is there?

EX:
Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands*

Is there an explanation in the fine print below? I'm on the ipad, so I didn't check.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Above it it says: * This port requires tendering.

Tendering means you're ferried back and forth to the Cruise ship.

MaryJaneP

On a further page it notes that the * is for the fact that this port requires tendering, in other words, your ship doesn't dock directly with a pier but rather you ride a boat from your ship to a smaller pier on shore. We did this on the Med Cruise and it is not a problem. Tenders are smaller boats but Disney arranged great options for us.

Disneyfalcon

Thanks for looking, Monty and MaryJane!

Yes, tendering is not a problem. It requires a little more time to embark and disembark, but it's necessary in some ports. It's a good way to get some neat pictures of the ship from the water sometimes! :)

TDF

Original Poster
Ah, good to know. I am just surprised Disney didn’t post anything on the bottom saying why. I love tendering, sad lying on my cruise we don’t but we are still going to get awesome shots of the ship, don’t worry! Thanks guys :)
- Justin

ChuckElias

It's a good way to get some neat pictures of the ship from the water sometimes! :)

For example:

med-2007021.jpg

TDF

Original Poster
Funny I don’t remember tendering in Grand Cayman when I went on a RC cruise. To bad on the Eastern Caribbean they don’t need to tender.
- Justin

sweetpee_1993

Thar be the Magic with two tenders pulled loading up at Grand Cayman.

DSC_0238.jpg

I was juuuust going to ask if Grand Cayman tenders because I spotted the "*" next to it when I was looking at our May Fantasy Western. Question answered. Thank you.

So does tendering take a long time? I've heard nightmare stories. We've never tendered and the old man is a bit unsure about it because of all the negative stories we've heard. My brother and I were discussing chartering a private vessel for snorkeling when we're there but the husband is nervous about it. He's afraid the time to get off the ship is too unpredictable. I dunno. I hate the thought of paying the big bucks to be in a herd of folks...

ChuckElias

I've tendered plenty of times. No horror stories. It does take a little longer to get to shore, obviously, but they've got it down to a really good system. You do have to wait a bit, but the waits are not horrific. It can be crowded when the first tenders are taking people, b/c everybody wants to get on shore. But it's no worse than getting on a bus for a shore excursion, IMO.

In fact, in the Med, the tender ride was beautiful in some cases (as you can see from my picture above).

muteki

I was juuuust going to ask if Grand Cayman tenders because I spotted the "*" next to it when I was looking at our May Fantasy Western. Question answered. Thank you.

So does tendering take a long time? I've heard nightmare stories. We've never tendered and the old man is a bit unsure about it because of all the negative stories we've heard. My brother and I were discussing chartering a private vessel for snorkeling when we're there but the husband is nervous about it. He's afraid the time to get off the ship is too unpredictable. I dunno. I hate the thought of paying the big bucks to be in a herd of folks...

Its not that big of a deal. If you are on a tour you they will walk you down from your meeting place and the boats will pretty much be there waiting for you. You may have to wait a couple minutes while everyone gets sorted getting on, though. They seemed to run continuously throughout the day.

I would leave some extra time for the trip when coming back, but otherwise enjoy the scenery. It's a lot nicer seeing the ship anchored away from shore than tied up to a dock.

Disneyfalcon

I agree. We've never had a horrible tender experience and we've done it lots. We do give ourselves extra time to get back when we're tendering though.

MaryJaneP

Never had a problem with the tendering situation. If you are not a hyper type-A personality, and can handle being patient for a few moments, the time needed to get to the shore and back to the ship can be actually nice calm additions to your experience. Look at the great pictures in this very post. I took some on our cruise and it is magical.
I am not aware of any reservations that do not take into account a brief holdup due to tender arrival/departure. This, of course, does not include the final all-aboard call at the end of the day. Be back in plenty of time, and save everyone involved from unnecessary and unhealthful stress on what can be a dream vacation.

sweetpee_1993

That's the key. We want to avoid booking an excursion thru the cruise line. We've been researching private charters. We'd prefer to do something that wasn't part of a large group from the ship. For the 7 people in our family the cost is comparable but with a private charter we get the entire excursion personalized to us. :D

If all the early tenders are for excursions thru the cruise line is there some other system for non-excursion folks leaving the ship? Is it just a standby line? I don't mind waiting in lines. I can be patient. I just don't want to book the private charter if I won't be able to get off the ship early enough to take full advantage. Ya know?

Phonedave

Where are you looking to book a private vessel? On Grand Cayman?

I have never cruised to the Caymans, but I have been there when the cruise ships are in port. We sit and watch the tenders go in and out somtimes. There is usually a line waiting for them from what I have seen, but it is never more than one tenders worth. They come by every 20 minutes or so it seems. Sort of like waiting for a WDW bus.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom