West Coast Trip Advice

ErickainPA

So if we leave at 6AM that should give us enough time?

PS We are so not morning people :ROFLOL:

I flew into Long Beach airport and that is also who we were flying out of. We stayed in Anaheim for a few days, drove to San Diego and stayed the night, then headed to Long Beach the night before our flight, this way we were at least within 20 mins of the airport (we flew out on a Tuesday) It was perfect, we didn't have to get up super early and hurry to get the car packed, get on the road, get to the rental return, unpack the car, get the bags to the airport and such. We were able to stop to grab breakfast on the way to the airport and while I know Long Beach airport is WAYYYYYYYYYYY smaller than LAX, it was nice to be able to just take our time the morning of our flight because we didn't have to worry about traffic, since we stayed close enough to the airport.

Just a thought for you, since you said you are not morning people and then having to do everything in order to get ready to head out for the drive to the airport.

wdwishes2005

If you're considering visting san diego, GO! It's incredible I loved it almost as much as DLR, and I'd definately drop a day of Disney to go back.

PintoColvig

That is what we are doing....staying a few days in San Diego, then the rest of the time in Anaheim. Thought the driving would be a nightmare.

Here is our sched:

Fly into LAX, drive to San Diego for 3 nights. Go to San Diego Zoo, see the ships, possibly Sea Port Village (I also have a cousin that lives there so we will visit him) (My kids really want to go to the zoo)

On 4th day drive to Anaheim. Spend 4 days visiting DL, going to Halloween party and hopefully relaxing at pool. Fly out on 9th day out of LAX.

Hope this plan works!

Only true concern is driving to LAX for our 9:30 AM flight.....I will have a rental car so I have no idea how much time to allow. Any suggestions? I have a feeling we will have to leave by 6 AM.....ugh! :veryconfu

May I make a suggestion for San Diego? Take some time and drive over to the Carillo National Monument. It is a high ridge that sits between San Diego Bay and the ocean. Incredible views of San Diego! Well worth the time, IMO. You can even see to Mexico.

kirst_al UK

Original Poster
Havent added to this in a while - but just got a few more questions.....didn't see the point in starting a new thread.................

So basically you guys average two days @ DL yea?

What is there at DTD - it doesn't look that big on a map??

I know its not a universal thread/forum but seeing as tho we'll be in the area - i was just wondering how long do you guys reckon we would need there?

I'm planning an itinery to work out how long the holiday would need to be in order for us to see everything (at the min i'm thinking the following) -

1st day - arrive LAX afternoon - head down to Universal Citywalk in the evening
2nd - stay on hollywood boulevard - see the hollywood/beverly hills sights...
3rd - spend the day at universal
4th - check out of hotel - get coach down to anahaim - arrive just after lunch - possibly half a day @ DCA then evening @ DTD
5th - day @ DL
6th - POSSIBLE day @ DL (unsure on this - hopefully i would've got everything done in the 1.5 days previous?!
7th - fly from LAX to San deigo, visit seaworld/zoo PM (depending on how long is required for both - can anyone assist?)
8th - day @ seaworld or zoo (perhaps half and half)
9th - fly from San Deigo to Vegas
10th, 11th, 12th, & 13th - spent in vegas

Your views on the above would be much appreciated :wave:

Welsh Tink

Hi kirst al UK,

Last year we spent 3 weeks in California, and visited both Universal and DL. We stayed at Paradise Pier and spent 3 days in DL, and DCA. Although we travelled in July, we were there on the Mon, Tues & Wed and didn't have any problems with getting to see everything. If you plan really well and you are lucky with the lines, you may even be able to get away with 2 days.

We loved Universal Studios, as it really is a working studio ( saw Orlando Bloom while we were there! ). Did everything easily in one day, doing some things 2-3 times and sitting down for a nice lunch. Citywalk we found to be quite buzzy , but maybe that was because we were there in the evening and saw DTD during the day.

On your post you mention maybe visiting Hollywood Blvd the day after you arrive. Don't forget you are likely to be jet lagged and awake really early. We found some parts of it really shabby, so don't know if you may be better looking at visiting a park on your first day instead.

We have been lucky enough to visit Florida and WDW many times, but our holiday in California was just wonderful. As well as the parks, we visited the baseball in Anaheim (great fun), horse racing at Del Mar, fantastic shopping at Newport Beach, took a limo around Beverly Hills, and on our final night, went to a concert at the Hollywood Bowl. California also has some of the most beautiful scenery we have seen anywhere. There is so much to do there, do a bit of research before you book anything so that you make sure you can fit everything that you want to see into the time you have.

lilclerk

You could spend that half-day at DL at California Adventure, then the full day at Disneyland.
I spent 1.5 days in DL and 1/2 a day in DCA, mostly by myself though, and I did everything I wanted that was open, including ride Pirates several times in a row =)

Disneyfalcon

I like 3 days at the parks to go at a nice liesurely pace so I think it's great you have that option for a third day there.

Hollywood and Highland is much nicer these days and we go frequently. Don't miss the Disney soda shop. El Capitan is a neat place to see movies too.

TP2000

Why are you flying from LAX to San Diego? Unless the ticket is free or you really want to fly as much as possible, that doesn't sound very productive.

On the morning of Day 7 you could take the Amtrak California Surfliner train from Anaheim to San Diego. It's about a two hour trip, it's vastly more comfortable than the 30 minute plane ride, and much of the tracks goes right along the ocean. It's a gorgeous trip.

Spring the extra 10 bucks for Business Class if you can; the service isn't dramatically different, but the car is generally quieter and emptier than the coach cars. More room for luggage too, although you can check baggage in Anaheim and San Diego. A one way adult fare from Anaheim to San Diego is 20 dollars for Coach Class and 33 dollars for Business Class. Surely that has to be cheaper than the plane. And on the plane, you'll also have to pay the transportation costs from Anaheim to LAX which can be very high if you are taking a cab. The Anaheim Amtrak station is 10 blocks from Disneyland, and the cab fare won't be more than 15 dollars with tip from Disneyland area hotels to the Anaheim station.

Here's the basic rundown on the Surfliner service... http://www.amtrakcalifornia.com/rail/go/amtrak/routes/pacific_surfliner/index.cfm

But when it's time to really look at prices and tickets, you'll want to go to the main Amtrak national website and input your city codes as "ANA" for Anaheim and "SAN" for San Diego. http://www.amtrak.com

Are you really sure you need to take the plane? That basically wastes a full day for you. A Surfliner leaves Anaheim once per hour on weekday mornings, and you could leave at 8:00AM, be in San Diego by 10:00AM, check into your hotel and be at the Zoo by Noon for a fun afternoon there. Then the next day you can do Sea World by day, and go out for dinner in San Diego that evening.

Please consider taking the Surfliner instead of a plane. It will really free up a big chunk of Day 7 for you, give you a pleasant way to see the SoCal countryside, and be much more efficient and enjoyable for you.

Just don't expect the EuroStar or anything. Amtrak trains in America are generally bigger, slower and far less structured than anything in Europe or Japan. Think of the Surfliner as a really big monorail, with a bar car and better seats, and you aren't too far off the mark. But trust me, it's much better than trying to take a plane for the puddle-jump from LAX to San Diego.

Rufus T Firefly

Why are you flying from LAX to San Diego? Unless the ticket is free or you really want to fly as much as possible, that doesn't sound very productive.

On the morning of Day 7 you could take the Amtrak California Surfliner train from Anaheim to San Diego. It's about a two hour trip, it's vastly more comfortable than the 30 minute plane ride, and much of the tracks goes right along the ocean. It's a gorgeous trip.

Spring the extra 10 bucks for Business Class if you can; the service isn't dramatically different, but the car is generally quieter and emptier than the coach cars. More room for luggage too, although you can check baggage in Anaheim and San Diego. A one way adult fare from Anaheim to San Diego is 20 dollars for Coach Class and 33 dollars for Business Class. Surely that has to be cheaper than the plane. And on the plane, you'll also have to pay the transportation costs from Anaheim to LAX which can be very high if you are taking a cab. The Anaheim Amtrak station is 10 blocks from Disneyland, and the cab fare won't be more than 15 dollars with tip from Disneyland area hotels to the Anaheim station.

Here's the basic rundown on the Surfliner service... http://www.amtrakcalifornia.com/rail/go/amtrak/routes/pacific_surfliner/index.cfm

But when it's time to really look at prices and tickets, you'll want to go to the main Amtrak national website and input your city codes as "ANA" for Anaheim and "SAN" for San Diego. http://www.amtrak.com

Are you really sure you need to take the plane? That basically wastes a full day for you. A Surfliner leaves Anaheim once per hour on weekday mornings, and you could leave at 8:00AM, be in San Diego by 10:00AM, check into your hotel and be at the Zoo by Noon for a fun afternoon there. Then the next day you can do Sea World by day, and go out for dinner in San Diego that evening.

Please consider taking the Surfliner instead of a plane. It will really free up a big chunk of Day 7 for you, give you a pleasant way to see the SoCal countryside, and be much more efficient and enjoyable for you.

Just don't expect the EuroStar or anything. Amtrak trains in America are generally bigger, slower and far less structured than anything in Europe or Japan. Think of the Surfliner as a really big monorail, with a bar car and better seats, and you aren't too far off the mark. But trust me, it's much better than trying to take a plane for the puddle-jump from LAX to San Diego.

Very sound advice.

kirst_al UK

Original Poster
Very sound advice.

Totally agree - brilliant - will really consider this. I had flying in mind due to the fact it took 2-3 or so hours to drive - but didnt even think about train - thank you very much for that.............keep em coming :sohappy: !!

What time of year do you think would be best to do the above - we normally go to FL just after easter - missing the easter and spring break - do you guys think that that around the same time would be a good idea to visit DL?

Disneyfalcon

After Easter would be a great time. Many CA schools have spring break at Easter, so avoid the week before and after. The weather should be great, and the crowds low!

TP2000

What time of year do you think would be best to do the above - we normally go to FL just after easter - missing the easter and spring break - do you guys think that that around the same time would be a good idea to visit DL?

That would be a perfect time to visit. Great weather, moderate crowds. Late April through mid May is fantastic. Just make sure you have at least one day at Disneyland that is a Friday or Saturday that time of year; you'll want to see the fireworks, Fantasmic!, Midnight closing times. During the week that time of year Disneyland closes at 8:00pm and there aren't fireworks or Fantasmic!, as those are only weekend offerings when Disneyland is open until 11:00pm or Midnight.

Here's a link to a map of the Anaheim Amtrak station, so you can get a good idea of just how close to Disneyland it really is. As you zoom out on the map, realize that LAX is roughly at the city of Inglewood, so you would have to drive all that way from Anaheim to Inglewood just to get on a plane to San Diego. Not to mention the headache of dealing with crowds and frenzy at LAX. http://stations.amtrak.com/amtrak/DetailedAreaMap.jsp?txtStationID=ANA&ssid=80&cid=1080080551774 Please, take the Surfliner instead!

Speaking of airports, not sure if you are flying direct from London to LA, but if you are coming from somewhere else in the USA into SoCal you might want to look at flights into Orange County John Wayne Airport (airport city code SNA). It's a wonderful, modern, little airport that serves Orange County. Compared to the dirty, frantic and confusing huge mess that is LAX, John Wayne Airport is clean, organized, friendly and attractive. John Wayne is served by most major US airlines, and has non stop service from many American cities. http://www.ocair.com/ If you can, avoid LAX at all costs.

Additional SoCal airports that can be used besides LAX are; Burbank, Long Beach, and Ontario. And if you must use LAX, try to remember that it is a horrible representative for Southern California. SoCal improves dramatically the farther away from LAX you get, I promise.

And that reminds me.... the same could be said for "Hollywood". The urban area of Hollywood is not someplace where you need to spend much time. It's a gritty, urban environment that only lately has been cleaned up in a few spots by a new mall, or Disney's refurbished theater. The rest of Hollywood is your basic seedy, dirty part of town. Beverly Hills is better, but not that exciting as it is your basic upscale, spendy neighborhood in any big city. You might want to look into taking a 3 hour bus tour of those areas, and then retreating back to a safe and clean hotel area around Universal Studios or Disneyland.

Unless you are a huge movie freak and want to visit the parking lot or Starbucks Coffee where some famous building once stood or some famous incident took place 70 years ago, Hollywood as a real city doesn't offer much today. Once you get past Grauman's Chinese Theater and the Walk of Stars, there's not much else except dirt and shady characters.

The current movie industry and the sprawling studio complexes are actually located on the other side of the hills, in the San Fernando Valley and nearby cities like Burbank.

kirst_al UK

Original Poster
Just make sure you have at least one day at Disneyland that is a Friday or Saturday that time of year; you'll want to see the fireworks, Fantasmic!, Midnight closing times.

Ooh yes im glad you reminded me about that !!!

Here's a link to a map of the Anaheim Amtrak station, so you can get a good idea of just how close to Disneyland it really is.

Ye i checked that out yesterday - not far at all !!!

Speaking of airports, not sure if you are flying direct from London to LA, but if you are coming from somewhere else in the USA into SoCal you might want to look at flights into Orange County John Wayne Airport (airport city code SNA).

LA would be our first destination - from london it would be LAX we'd be flying in to.

And that reminds me.... the same could be said for "Hollywood". The urban area of Hollywood is not someplace where you need to spend much time. It's a gritty, urban environment that only lately has been cleaned up in a few spots by a new mall, or Disney's refurbished theater. The rest of Hollywood is your basic seedy, dirty part of town. Beverly Hills is better, but not that exciting as it is your basic upscale, spendy neighborhood in any big city. You might want to look into taking a 3 hour bus tour of those areas, and then retreating back to a safe and clean hotel area around Universal Studios or Disneyland. Unless you are a huge movie freak and want to visit the parking lot or Starbucks Coffee where some famous building once stood or some famous incident took place 70 years ago, Hollywood as a real city doesn't offer much today. Once you get past Grauman's Chinese Theater and the Walk of Stars, there's not much else except dirt and shady characters.

Not really into all the film locations but on Hollywood Boulevard i would be wanting to visit the Wax Museum , guiness world records museum, ripleys, beveley centre mall, Capital Records, Graumans Theatre and of course the walk of fame - the typical tourist attractions - what do you guys think of them all?

Rufus T Firefly

Ooh yes im glad you reminded me about that !!!

Not really into all the film locations but on Hollywood Boulevard i would be wanting to visit the Wax Museum , guiness world records museum, ripleys, beveley centre mall, Capital Records, Graumans Theatre and of course the walk of fame - the typical tourist attractions - what do you guys think of them all?

The Beverly Center is not located on Hollywood Bl. The Hollywood & Highland shopping complex is located next to the Chinese Theatre however.

kirst_al UK

Original Poster
The Beverly Center is not located on Hollywood Bl. The Hollywood & Highland shopping complex is located next to the Chinese Theatre however.

Sorry i think i was getting confused between the two - the beverly center isnt even close if i remember rightly.....? Would like to go there tho - is that the largest/nearest, apart from h & h shopping complex, to hollywood bl?

Rufus T Firefly

Sorry i think i was getting confused between the two - the beverly center isnt even close if i remember rightly.....? Would like to go there tho - is that the largest/nearest, apart from h & h shopping complex, to hollywood bl?

I think the Beverly Center probably would be the largest/nearest, apart from H&H.

Rufus T Firefly

Guiness,Ripley's and malls are all attractions that you can find in any major U.S. city. If you want a unique experience, I would highly suggest dinner and shows at the Magic Castle (magiccastle.com) The major drawback is that you need to be a member or know a member to be admitted. Perhaps someone on the boards here can help you obtain a guest pass. Check out the web site and see what you think.

kirst_al UK

Original Poster
Guiness,Ripley's and malls are all attractions that you can find in any major U.S. city. If you want a unique experience, I would highly suggest dinner and shows at the Magic Castle (magiccastle.com) The major drawback is that you need to be a member or know a member to be admitted. Perhaps someone on the boards here can help you obtain a guest pass. Check out the web site and see what you think.

I know they are its just for a start i've never been to ripleys in Orlando and i've always wanted too and the malls are a must seeing astho the $-£ is SOOOO good !!!

Magic Castle looks good - the only downside is the days of which they perform - if we are hoping to be down in anaheim to visit DL on the weekend for the fireworks this might not be possible - thank you very much for your input though - much appreciated !!

TP2000

I know they are its just for a start i've never been to ripleys in Orlando and i've always wanted too and the malls are a must seeing astho the $-£ is SOOOO good !!

I think those of us who have seen what Hollywood and the urban areas around the Los Angeles core are like are just trying to gently persuade you to find other options. The real business of "Hollywood" is done in sprawling studio complexes that are no longer in the city limits of Hollywood. Hollywood has been trying very hard to undergo urban renewal and clean up its dirty streets, but they've been doing that with false starts for 25 years now and while there are nice new gems available to visit, overall it's still not a very pleasant environment.

I would hate to have a foreign tourist come all the way to America to see glamorous Hollywood, check in to a hotel on Hollywood Boulevard, and then look out the window and say "This place is dirty and gross and nothing like the movies!". :) We're just trying to steer you towards the stuff that won't disapoint you.

That said, I think a tourist who has never been to SoCal should see Hollywood at least once, and there are sights that even a local like myself enjoys seeing every once in awhile. Your desire to at least visit Hollywood has merit. When I drive on the Hollywood Freeway once or twice a year I do strain my neck to get a glimpse of the Capitol Records Building, only because its such a fun and famous building. But I think you could "see" all of these things in one afternoon. You stand on the sidewalk, look at the Capitol Records Building, smile and say how happy you are to see it, take a picture, tell the street bum staggering by that you don't have any change, and then walk quickly two blocks down to do the same thing at Grauman's Chinese Theater. The basic Hollywood sightseeing tour can be done in one afternoon.

As for actual working movie studios, there is of course Universal Studios. It's a real working studio with a very legit tram tour which started in its present form in 1964. The tram tour is the big highlight of the Universal Studios tour. It takes about an hour and goes past real sound stages and exterior sets. Try to visit on a weekday when there is more activity going on around the lot than on a weekend. There is also all of the attached theme park type stuff which is also fun. But unlike the Orlando version of Universal, the Hollywood version is really a working studio with legitimate work taking place all around you. It's very fun.

If real working movie studios are your interest, you might also want to look into the Warner Brothers VIP Tour. There's no theme park rides involved, and it's a much smaller scale tour on a little electric golf cart carrying 10 people instead of a massive tram carrying 250 people. But it really gets you into the working insides of a real "Hollywood" movie studio. http://www2.warnerbros.com/vipstudiotour/ It's not in Hollywood though, it's in Burbank where all of the major studios now are. Warner Brothers is located smack dab between Universal Studios and the Walt Disney Studios. You may be in Burbank, but you are really in the middle of 21st century "Hollywood", and that can be exciting just to be there.

As for shopping.... so it's more an issue of taking advantage of the favorable exchange rates than seeing a mid-sized mall like the Beverly Center?

Have you thought of visiting the largest mall in Southern California, and one of the most noted malls in America, that just happens to be a 15 minute drive from Disneyland? It's massive with 280 stores and it's called South Coast Plaza. It has every expensive store you can imagine, many of which are the biggest SoCal Flagship stores for their companies; Chanel, Hugo Boss, Versace, Armani, Burberry, Dolce & Gabbana, Donna Karen, Fendi, Gucci, Hermes, Louis Vuitton, Cavalli, Ferragamo, St. John, Valentino, Ted Baker, Yves St. Laurent etc., etc. all have their own stylish stores at South Coast Plaza. Plus you have all the usual upscale American offerings and big department stores like Saks, Nordstrom, and a massive new Bloomingdales. The Tiffany & Co. location there is more lavish than the stores in Los Angeles, and there was just a story in the newspaper about how the huge Tiffany's at South Coast now outsells the smaller Tiffany's stores in Los Angeles, Bevery Hills or San Francisco.

There is a second part to the mall across the street, connected by a sky bridge, that has a home mall with home furnishing stores; a giant Crate & Barrel, Macy's Home Store, etc. There are people from Japan and China that visit only South Coast Plaza for a few days just to shop, and the website has all sorts of information for visitors coming to the mall from overseas. Obviously there are lots of fancy restaurants, entertainment, and other amenities in and around the mall area besides all of the shopping. If you or your group wants a classic American steak, there is a great Morton's of Chicago at South Coast that I highly recommend. There are two separate H&M stores, the trendy Swedish fashion stores, at South Coast Plaza. One H&M is a big version of their normal stores, and the second H&M near Bloomingdales only carries their couture and very limited clothing releases that only appear in their stores in New York, London, Stockholm..... and South Coast Plaza.

http://www.southcoastplaza.com

That could be your one stop shopping location to take advantage of the great exchange rates. Plus, you can't get more Southern Californian and more American than a giant trendy mall in the suburbs of upscale Orange County. You'll know you aren't in Yorkshire anymore, that's for sure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom