Trip Report We're going to Disney and this old lady is gonna party!

Hi all, I have the unexpected joy of being able to write (my second ever), (pre)trip report because I'm getting old!

I wrote my first report from our August trip when we got to preview GE as AP before it opened to the public. I thought it would be the only report I got to write till November of 2020 when my husband wants to go back and have a big family trip with all in attendance.

Well I woke up this morning and realized 🤔 I will be 60 in 2 weeks and had no plans for the big day!
So after only about 5 minutes of badgering, my husband agreed a quick, down and dirty trip to celebrate my birthday was in order!

Who will be going?
Just the 3 of us from August-(yes it was Halloween in August). :rolleyes:
Youngest kid Seth, myself Cindy and husband Gary.
IMG_4085.JPG

Not attending my birthday blowout is my daughter Aleisha and new son-in-law Julio, as they just got back from honeymooning in France 3 days ago!
Sorry blurry pic of them in their wedding finery, and what I call my (grandthing) Queen Hera!
IMG_5697.PNG

When-we will be there Nov 20-Nov 22 (quick blitz for sure)! But, still very excited!

What I have so far is our room, we will be staying at the Boulder Ridge Villas, as that was the only thing available at late notice for us to use our DVC points. But, I was super excited today when initially I looked, I could only find a room for each night at 2 different resorts, and then an hour later, 2 consecutive nights opened up. We love Wilderness Lodge so that worked out great!

More details to come, hopefully, with some dining and FP bookings, wish me luck!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
We (meaning me) are so excited. I decided to book the AK Nights of Adventure VIP tour! This will be on the 21st, (you guessed it, my actual birthday).
I should change the name of my trip report to "It's all about me"!!
I kept refreshing MDE trying to get a FOP FP, and thought, hmm, it is my birthday, I know a way to solve this! 🤣
I figure it's more expensive than a cake, but cheaper than a car. :)

My husband is pretty much putting up with all of this manic planning and ignoring me.
(Till we get there), then I will be asked "are we going here", "did you book that there"? :rolleyes:
Where were you when I asked for your planning input and got eye rolls, huh?!

So day 2 plan is Trails End breakfast, uber to HS, see if SDD line not too long, and then ride the Skyliner to Epcot. I am excited to do that.
We have a few fast passes at Epcot, then will head over to AK.
They call it Nights of Adventure (but you have to be there by 2:25 pm and it supposedly lasts 4 hours). So I guess it should be called Afternoon VIP Adventure?? Oh well, still excited to give it a try. I'll report back and let you all know if we thought it was "worth it".

Last edited:

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
This... exactly THIS! My hubby does that too!
Probably rhetorical question, but WHY do they do that?!
Even worse, on the rare occasion (3x) the extended family goes my BIL says nothing in the planning phase. He even removed himself from the group chat on our last pre trip. Then when we get to WDW he completely attempts to take over. And the fam, like a bunch of morons, follow him!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Even worse, on the rare occasion (3x) the extended family goes my BIL says nothing in the planning phase. He even removed himself from the group chat on our last pre trip. Then when we get to WDW he completely attempts to take over. And the fam, like a bunch of morons, follow him!
Hell to the no! But, it's super easy for me to say that, I don't have to continue being a family member with him! :D

MickeyCB

Original Poster
5 days to go!! So excited!
I'm waiting on my son to get home from college for winter break. Fall term is over. He's in Savannah so about 10-12 hours drive depending on his foot weight and bathroom breaks!
This is so he can get on a plane and fly right back over Savannah 3 days later on our way to Orlando! 🤣

I don't want to get into the holiday mood yet, but I was just thinking about the amazing Osborne Family Lights that are no longer there.
:cry: :cry: :cry:
This is maybe from 4 years ago or so.
IMG_1860.JPG

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Well we're back from the birthday blitz. And a blitz it was! One full and two half days don't cut it. But, any time you can get to Disney it is excellent! Things didn't go completely according to plan, as we all know can happen during a trip, and in the next paragraph or so I'll try to explain why we occasionally have to make changes.

Before I get into the trip happenings, I need you all to know the next section is text heavy and depending on your point of view could be sad. I debated for 2 days whether to put this information in my trip report because I feel Disney for many of us is truly our happy place and I shouldn't be the Disney Debbie Downer. But, I have seen members here be very open with events in their personal lives, and subsequently other members being very supportive and kind in turn. This sharing has been great because it lets me know for many reasons a trip to Disney may not be all pixie dust and magic, and challenges to a great trip can be thrown in your way.

So, first part of the story is, when we checked into the WL the CM gave me a birthday button and wanted to know what I wanted written on it. I said "please write, Cindy is 60"! She gave me an odd look and said most people just put their name on it, they don't tell their age. What she didn't know is every birthday in this house is an excellent thing.

I am a semiretired physician and when I was full time, my 50th birthday was approaching, and I was chatting with one of my patients during her visit. And as many people do, was complaining about turning 50. She was 40 years old and she said, "you don't remember me, I haven't been back for awhile, but you saved my life". I'm thinking, that's good, but wasn't sure how!
She went on to explain that I gave her a mammogram slip at the age of 37, (I still do not remember why, because you are "supposed" to offer screening at age 40). Well sure enough, she was diagnosed with breast cancer and her statement to me was, "do you have any idea how cool it was to wake up 40"?!
So from that day forward I try to remember when I'm complaining about petty things, how cool it is to wake up and I celebrate each of those birthdays, wrinkles, weight gain and all!!!

The second part is more personal. My husband that you see in these photos was diagnosed with colon cancer in 2014, and then it came back in January of 2018. He has been a trooper, as I am typing this he is receiving his 40th chemo treatment. We have been very lucky, as you can see in the photos, he looks great, he goes to Disney, and when we are home he is out mowing grass and chopping down trees.
Once again, those birthdays are precious. He will turn 70 January 1, and was debating on a Disney NYE trip, but I think the predicted crowds are a little intimidating to him.
The 2 things that the cancer treatment has done to him that impacts our travel, is it has been wicked on his multiple arthritic joints, and he can get pretty tired. He absolutely refuses a wheelchair or scooter and so we have to change plans here and there.

And, I promise that is the last downer piece of information, unless you count the times I will tell you about in this report where I wanted to hurt both my husband and son for their stubborn behavior on this trip! So, on to the fun part!

Wednesday November 20-Day 1
We had a 9:40 am flight out of Pittsburgh and only live 20 minutes from the airport so we didn't have to leave super early. Bags are packed and once again Scooby is not happy and is ignoring us. That is his side eye! 🤣
IMG_0091.JPG

He doesn't like walking on the wood floors so we have a ridiculous collection of rugs
all over for him!
IMG_0093.JPG

Waiting at the Southwest gate. Son, "why do we have to take a picture of us here"? Me, 'it's a thing, just cooperate please"!
IMG_0097.JPG

Our flight took off on time, and we actually got into MCO about 20 minutes early. Rounded the bend and got to see this fun site!
IMG_0100.JPG

IMG_0102.JPG

I think the wraps are really well done. And of course we like the whole Star Wars thing.

And next stop! The lines look long, but went very quickly. We also got right on the bus
and were on our way!
IMG_0104.JPG

Next up, Wilderness Lodge!!

Laura Loves Tigger

Following along! Belated happy birthday! Not a Debbie Downer at all! So sorry your husband is going through this Arthritis flare up on top of chemo is no picnic. I had both knees replaced in 2015, so I fully remember how awful that pain is. I appreciate reading about trips where plans need to change quickly. That is my reality when I am in the World due to travelling with my adult special needs daughter. Looking forward to reading all about your adventures!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
First of all, I hope the medical treatments are a success for your husband. I'm sure he's glad to have you by his side while he is going through this. Sending best healing wishes to him.

Secondly, you reminded us all of how happy we should be at any age, to celebrate our birthday. Each day is a gift. Too often, many of us take our lives for granted.

Thirdly, Scooby cracks me up!!! :joyfull: Of course, he didn't want you to go away on a trip! He made that quite clear. ;) But the part that really made me laugh was his penchant for walking on rugs, ONLY. :hilarious:

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Such a sweet story about your patient.
I wish your husband all the best.
Both really made me stop & think b/c I'm one who doesn't really like to celebrate birthdays. And you're not being a downer in my book!! I feel that some background adds to the TR!!
It is the best. Hard to believe she's 50 now!!

Thank you for the thoughts, he is doing well at this point. (Well enough that I occasionally don't feel guilty having a (very) loud discussion with him)! We've been married 36 years, I think it's understandable. 🤣

And regarding birthdays, I am the same as you. I kind of wanted to ignore them too, till this patient reminded me of what is important. I've learned so much from my patients along the way.

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Following along! Belated happy birthday! Not a Debbie Downer at all! So sorry your husband is going through this Arthritis flare up on top of chemo is no picnic. I had both knees replaced in 2015, so I fully remember how awful that pain is. I appreciate reading about trips where plans need to change quickly. That is my reality when I am in the World due to travelling with my adult special needs daughter. Looking forward to reading all about your adventures!
Thanks for reading and the birthday wishes!
His rheumatologist told him and I quote, "you've been rode hard and put away wet"!
He got 2 new knees that were actually ok till the 2nd round of chemo. They said it could do this.
Are your knees are doing ok?
And I hope you have had good trips with your adult daughter?

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Following along! Cancer has hit our family hard, so know that many on our board send their thoughts and prayers your way!
Thanks for following, and I am very sorry to hear about your family. It is crazy how many people and families deal with this disease.
A chemo nurse that I really like, said that when a patient is diagnosed with cancer, the whole family is. And I thought that was a good way to think of it, because while the family may not be receiving treatment, they are hurting too.
And thank you for your good thoughts.

MickeyCB

Original Poster
First of all, I hope the medical treatments are a success for your husband. I'm sure he's glad to have you by his side while he is going through this. Sending best healing wishes to him.

Secondly, you reminded us all of how happy we should be at any age, to celebrate our birthday. Each day is a gift. Too often, many of us take our lives for granted.

Thirdly, Scooby cracks me up!!! :joyfull: Of course, he didn't want you to go away on a trip! He made that quite clear. ;) But the part that really made me laugh was his penchant for walking on rugs, ONLY. :hilarious:
Thank you for your kind thoughts.

Yep, took me awhile to get that. (And I still have to be reminded occasionally):oops:

And Scooby is truly spoiled. But in his defense (and I said I wasn't going to put any more negative things out there), he has something wrong with his right front leg and isn't bearing weight well and likes the rugs. (But after I looked at the photo again, I felt the need to explain why I have about 20 unmatching rugs around my house).
The vet has him on some anti-inflammatory meds. I told my husband he and Scooby could just share meds, he didn't think that was funny. (I did).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom