Trip Report Well, we're all reliving past trips, so... January 2011

Hey all!

Since we are all having to get our Disney World fix by reliving past trips, I thought I'd ya know...FINISH one I never did finish from years ago :banghead:

This was a trip from January 2011, involving several family members. I did begin the trip report, but instead of finishing in that thread, I'm just going to make a new one, because my pictures are jacked in the old thread due to photobucket. The first several posts are just going to be copy/pasted from there...I will put any comments from 2020 me in brackets { }. I will then let you know when I'm creating new posts from memory, rather than taking from the old thread.

Hope this helps getting us all through the Disney blues! It's also nice for me, as I get to revisit a wonderful visit with my Mom, who passed away back in 2014.

Here we go!!

****taken from previous thread****

Hi all! I thought I'd get started on our Trip Report from 1/22 through 1/29, 2011.

Other than a one day visit to Epcot as an excursion on a non-Disney cruise I took in November of 2010, I hadn't had a week's stay in Disney since October of 2008...Not okay at all!

Our party this trip consisted of:
Me (Amber), 32
Little Brother (Zac), 7
Mom (Bonnie), 60
Dad (Bob), 63
Sister (Chrissy), 30
Brother-in-Law (Duane), 36
Baby Nephew (Devin), 6 months

So obviously this was the first trip for Devin, but it was also the first time for my Dad. He agreed to go only because I planned it so that it wasn't hot and/or too crowded. He grew up in the golden era of Davy Crockett, and really wanted to see Frontierland.

Saturday, January 22

Our trip officially started on this day, however we had spent the last two days worrying and wondering if we should head to Pittsburgh (where we were flying out of) early and get a room, then use hotel transport to the airport because of a possible snowstorm. And that's even if hotel rooms were available...there was a little game being played at Heinz Field that weekend (WOOOOOT STEELERS!!! :D) Turns out, it did snow, but on Thursday, so roads were just fine as we left early early Saturday morning, at 3am. We took Zac out of bed, bundled him up (temps at our home in Central PA were 7...this would be the highest temp we'd see until reaching Florida) and off we went. We left at this time because we thought Zac would sleep, but no. He woke up, too excited, and because he doesn't get his meds for his ADHD until he has eaten, at around 7am, THAT was a fun trip :rolleyes: Oh well, it wasn't like I could blame him; I was practically giddy myself. As we drove toward Pittsburgh (about 3 hours from our home) the temps dropped to MINUS 8 :eek:. So we told ourselves that no matter the temp in Florida, it would be better than here!!

Duane, Chrissy, and Devin had a different flight but at a similar time, so they were about a half hour ahead of us in the driving.

Just a little illustration of the workings of my family: As we were leaving the house, we told Dad to grab the coffees for himself and Mom, and my tea. He took them to the car but got them all mixed up as to who they belonged to. So as I'm driving, he hands me my tea. I took a drink and practically spat it out...it was coffee!! So I said "Dad, this is yours!" so he hands me the other cup and I take a drink....IT was coffee! So he hands me the third cup. So then Dad hands Mom one of the coffees. Only trouble is, he takes his with cream and sugar, Mom takes hers black. You guessed it...Dad took a sip of the wrong one too! It was like Musical Cups...we were laughing so hard. No wonder Zac couldn't sleep!

Upon arriving at the Pittsburgh International Airport (where it was FREEZING!!) we caught the shuttle not a minute too soon before we got unbearably cold, and were whisked away into heat. We ate some breakfast at McD's so that Zac could (thankfully) get his meds into his system, and off to our gate we went.

Now, when we got on the plane, we discovered our seats were the very last row, no windows. I didn't think it was a big deal when I booked; turns out this is a very big NO-NO in Zac's world {at the time he had some sensory issues} He kept shouting "it's too close, people are too close!!" because he couldn't see out of the plane. Point taken and remembered for next flight. Luckily the aisle was the next best thing, and he calmed himself immediately and had a very very pleasant flight. Oh yeah, but mom spilled her drink on herself during the flight.

And here are Zac and I heading down to Magical Express upon landing in MCO:

IMG_0370.JPG

On the Magical Express:
IMG_0373.JPG

IMG_0375.JPG

IMG_0374.JPG

Last edited:

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
We arrived at our resort--Pop Century, called Chrissy and Duane, who were already in their room, and went speedily through the Online Check-in queue. Our room was ready, successfully adjoined with Chrissy's and Duane's. So we took our carry-ons to our our room, then went to the food court to eat and see how the Dining Plan worked (our first time-loved it!!), then all departed for our first day! I had decided that before we go to a park, I wanted to show Dad and Mom the monorail resorts, so we took the bus to the MK, then boarded the resort monorail, which I think they enjoyed.

Meeting up with baby Devin in their room
IMG_0378.JPG

Stopping at the food court for a quick bite (it seems Duane needed a napkin):
IMG_0380.JPG

{I believe this was maybe the Black & Bleu burger?}
IMG_0381.JPG

Waiting for the monorail...Zac was so excited!
IMG_0385.JPG

{to this day, one of my favorite pics with Zac, who is now SEVENTEEN...what?!}
IMG_0388.JPG

Devin's first monorail ride!!
IMG_0386.JPG

Annnnd, Duane with all of his friends. We love Duane, still to this day. He takes everything in stride and is great fun to tease.
IMG_0389.JPG

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
As you can see by the way we're dressed, it wasn't the warmest weather. Nicer than PA but very windy, especially around the water. I wasn't pleased that I needed to stay in jeans, as up until that point, I hadn't ever needed to at Disney.

We didn't get out at the Contemporary, but did so at the Poly. I thought my Mom, in particular, would like this resort, and she did. {Ahhh, the waterfalls}
IMG_0391.JPG

Zac got to make himself a candy tube:
IMG_0392.JPG

I also thought ahead to buy a spinny light thing here (no character or anything, just plain) for a few bucks, to avoid having to buy a Buzz Lightyear one at later evening parades.

Continuing on the monorail loop... we walked around the Grand Floridian and, as much as I was trying to deny it, it was SO COLD!! The wind is what really did it. So we decided to get Zac to the Magic Kingdom to get a couple of rides in and then call it a day, hoping it would warm up the next day a bit.

Zac loved that he "and the guys" could go through the No-bag entrance, and my dad even joked to the guard that "his bag" went through the line on her own (my mother). Thus is my dad.

IMG_0393.JPG

IMG_0394.JPG

I actually liked the display at the front of the MK...

IMG_0395.JPG

This was just about 4:45 or so, as they were preventing people from walking by the flagpole, because the Flag Retreat Ceremony was about to happen. I hadn't ever seen it, and I thought my dad would really like it, being a veteran, so we hung out there. I took Zac over to the Fire Station, as we were doing pressed pennies this week for him, and he pressed his first of the trip here:

IMG_0396.JPG

IMG_0398.JPG

I was so happy to be back!!

Attachments

• IMG_0399.JPG
    IMG_0399.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 201

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Zac enjoyed pressing his penny:
IMG_0397.JPG

Then it was time for the Flag Retreat ceremony.
IMG_0400.JPG

IMG_0403.JPG

IMG_0404.JPG

IMG_0402.JPG

A cute little ceremony that I think my Dad liked, judging by the little tear in his eye.

After this, because of the long travel day and chillier temps, Chrissy, Duane, Devin and Dad decided to head back to the resort to rest up for the next day. Not Zac, Mom, and I!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
The park was rather busy this day, and I chalked it up to being a Saturday, as well as the last day that the MK was open until 11pm. Right away, Zac wanted to ride Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin (for what would be the first of probably 15 times).

IMG_0405.JPG

We ended up having to Fast Pass it {back in the day of paper FP}, so while we waited for the time to come around, we rode the TTC, then headed across the hub toward Liberty Square. But first we watched Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It! which we had fun dancing along to.

IMG_0407.JPG

IMG_0408.JPG

IMG_0412.JPG

IMG_0413.JPG

IMG_0414.JPG

And here is Zac, um...shaking it.
IMG_0421.JPG

Continuing across the hub- first castle pic of the trip!
IMG_0420.JPG

Because you always have to have fun with the stockades. I don't know what the socks w/ sandals look is...
IMG_0422.JPG

Mom getting in on the fun
IMG_0423.JPG

My Mom was always up for anything!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
I knew the MSEP ran twice this day, but was hoping the first wouldn't be too crowded, as I didn't think Mom would make it until the second. We decided to have dinner at Columbia Harbor House, and then nab a spot to watch the parade from. I had never seen the MSEP, so was anxious about how it would stack up to Spectromagic for me...turns out I loved it! Very catchy music (which I'm familiar with because I have it on cd) and Zac and Mom liked it as well.

{This paragraph above is SOO dated, but oh well}
IMG_0426.JPG

IMG_0429.JPG

IMG_0438.JPG

IMG_0434.JPG

After the parade, we worked our way toward the Hub for the Castle Light show, and Wishes. I LOVED the Castle Lights!! So touching, and AMAZING!! The way the castle looked like it was rippling! I couldn't get over it, and Wishes is always beautiful.

Then it was straight over to Buzz, and even though we overshot our return time, we were allowed in, thankfully.

IMG_0440.JPG

IMG_0441.JPG

We successfully defeated the Evil Emperor Zurg, yet again! Zac is so cute...he really does think we are saving the batteries so that the MK has power.

That's the end of the first day!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Well, I knew I hadn't done much on that report, but even I was *shocked* to realize that the first day was all I previously reported. So everything from here on out is from memory...which won't be very good but I should be able to go by pictures.

JosieBee

One thing I love about these walk down memory lane reports is seeing things that no longer exist in the park like the lights parade. Thanks for sharing!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday, January 23rd

Animal Kingdom day!! I don't recall specifics, but most mornings, Mom would go grab breakfast, at least for herself and Zac. I do recall that the meal plan worked well for them, as Mom's meal was often more than she could eat, but it allowed her to save some items in our in-room fridge such as fruit, yogurt, etc for Zac to have in the evenings when we came back.

Anyway, this is my first pic for that day, so it seems we headed toward Asia. It was a beautiful morning, some coolness to the air, but nothing like the day prior. AK has beautiful scenery...
IMG_0442.JPG

IMG_0443.JPG

We enjoyed some wildlife, both of the animal variety,
IMG_0444.JPG

and the human.
IMG_0446.JPG

Chrissy, Duane and I headed toward Everest first, of course
IMG_0449.JPG

IMG_0450.JPG

IMG_0453.JPG

IMG_0455.JPG

Last edited:

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
After a fun ride, we joined up with the Dad, Mom and Zac waiting for us at the exit, and walked toward Zac's #1 must do...the Boneyard. That's right, take a big expensive trip to Disney and my brother wanted to do the sandbox. A very creative and well-done sandbox, that is. He remembered it from his first trip and made us promise to take him to it after Everest.

But first, some street art
IMG_0457.JPG

Zac had a great time. Only Mom and I went up with him, so I don't know what Dad, Chrissy and Duane did in the meantime...probably play carnival games in Dinoland.
IMG_0459.JPG

IMG_0458.JPG

My heart!! He was so little!
IMG_0461.JPG

IMG_0462.JPG

After Zac had some playtime, we wanted to get Dad on a ride, as he had yet to really do anything! We went off toward the Safari to do just that. Apparently we went via Asia again.

But who's that peeking through the trees?
IMG_0464.JPG

DeVine of course!
IMG_0466.JPG

One more thing before the Safari was another Zac-favorite:
IMG_0468.JPG

I swear, he could play with these drums forever!
IMG_0470.JPG

IMG_0469.JPG

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm guessing we pulled a paper FP for the Safari, as my next pictures have us in Rafiki's Planet Watch, which I believe was a first for me. We enjoyed walking around and checking everything out.

Found a Hidden Mickey!
IMG_0471.JPG

When we brought Zac a few years before, he'd loved the Pocahontas & Friends show in Camp Minnie Mickey, so we thought he would like to meet her. Mom, Zac and I stood in line, but Zac chickened out. So only she and I got pics with her.
IMG_0474.JPG

IMG_0473.JPG

Before departing Rafiki's, we took a group photo, which I love:
24228880000.jpg

Then it was off to the Safari! I do believe Zac took this picture...
IMG_0476.JPG

Dad loves it when I make him look for a picture!
IMG_0475.JPG

Devin's first ride!
IMG_0477.JPG

IMG_0478.JPG

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
A few Safari pictures along the way-

IMG_0480.JPG

IMG_0483.JPG

IMG_0486.JPG

I think Devin enjoyed it!

IMG_0488.JPG

After, we walked to Camp Minnie-Mickey. We had some very important meetings! Zac acted a bit shy, at first.
IMG_0489.JPG

IMG_0490.JPG

IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0493.JPG

Zac insisted on Mom and I meeting Goofy as well. Of course we will! I don't remember specifics, but it was a fun interaction!
IMG_0494.JPG

IMG_0495.JPG

Oops, ran out of space...next post!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
IMG_0496.JPG

A light fixture that's no longer there, for you @Doc Disney
IMG_0491.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

IMG_0498.JPG

I'm certain we saw Festival of the Lion King, because I wouldn't have left the park without it, but not sure if it was before or after the character visits. No pics, either way. It was one of my Mom's very favorite things about Disney World, and remains one of mine.

A little shopping time...
IMG_0500.JPG

Though I have no pictures (This is before I started taking pics of my Disney World food), I'm fairly certain we ate lunch at Rainforest Cafe. After, I asked Zac for a picture, to which he obliged....
IMG_0501.JPG

IF he could take one of me...
IMG_0502.JPG

As you can see by my shirt, I'm was supporting my team--the Pittsburgh Steelers--because a playoff game was about to begin. Chrissy and Duane wanted to get the baby back to the resort, and Dad and Duane wanted to watch the game. Usually at home, I wouldn't have missed it, but I was a Disney World!! They did update us periodically via text, because Mom, Zac and I had other plans...

off to Magic Kingdom!
IMG_0503.JPG

IMG_0504.JPG

I just adore the colors of the buildings along Main Street USA...
IMG_0505.JPG

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
And now, my best Disney/Mom memory-- this interaction with Pluto:
IMG_0509.JPG

I have this photo framed in my home. She was so happy here that Pluto danced with her. Less than 3 years later, on what would be her last Disney World trip (my honeymoon), Pluto at Animal Kingdom danced with her at her request because she wanted to relive this photo.
IMG_0510.JPG

Zac had fun with Pluto, too
IMG_0506.JPG

IMG_0507.JPG

IMG_0508.JPG

As my picture-taking was not as "thorough" as what it is today, I'm not sure of what we did this evening, though I do recall getting back to the resort before the game was over, so we probably didn't stay long.

Of course, it was long enough for...
IMG_0513.JPG

Zac's favorite, Buzz.

That was the last pic from that evening. More tomorrow!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
One thing I love about these walk down memory lane reports is seeing things that no longer exist in the park like the lights parade. Thanks for sharing!

Yes, I feel the same way! It's so funny how many things have changed, and I'm not as veteran as many of our friends here, my first time to WDW having been in 2001. But I'm noticing lots that was different, even from 2011. Thanks for following along!

Devin’s eyes are absolutely amazing & I love the pictures of your mom with Pluto!! They’re priceless!! I’m enjoying your TR!!
He is a little...or, not so little now...cutie. He will be 10 this summer! And yes, those pics of Mom and Pluto are treasured by my family for sure. Thanks for reading along!
It looks like it was such a fun trip!
It really was, thanks for reading!

Loco_driver

As soon as I saw that photo from MSEP the music started playing in my head! I wish they’d do a nighttime parade again! Really enjoying your trip down memory lane!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
As soon as I saw that photo from MSEP the music started playing in my head! I wish they’d do a nighttime parade again! Really enjoying your trip down memory lane!
Yes that music will always stick with me! Thanks for reading; I'm so glad you're enjoying it. I will post more today.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Monday, January 24th

Up and at 'em the next morning...Hollywood Studios Day! Chilly sunny weather again. My Mom and sister had been trying unsuccessfully so far to find Devin a beanie hat, since Chrissy hadn't packed one, not thinking it would be needed. His hoodie would have to do!

Waiting at the POP bus stop for our ride!
IMG_0514.JPG

IMG_0515.JPG

IMG_0516.JPG

IMG_0517.JPG

THE HAT!!!!
IMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

From my photos, we hit up the Backlot Tour first, though also from the photos, I see that we did Toy Story later, so I'm pretty confident that we pulled our paper fastpasses for TSM before the Tour.

Zac loved the Backlot Tour, and would go on to remember it on his next trip as one of his favorite things.
IMG_0521.JPG

IMG_0522.JPG

IMG_0524.JPG

In the gift shop at the end, I did my best "you like me, you really like me" speech and my Mom took the picture...
IMG_0525.JPG

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom