Trip Report Well, we're all reliving past trips, so... January 2011

Hey all!

Since we are all having to get our Disney World fix by reliving past trips, I thought I'd ya know...FINISH one I never did finish from years ago :banghead:

This was a trip from January 2011, involving several family members. I did begin the trip report, but instead of finishing in that thread, I'm just going to make a new one, because my pictures are jacked in the old thread due to photobucket. The first several posts are just going to be copy/pasted from there...I will put any comments from 2020 me in brackets { }. I will then let you know when I'm creating new posts from memory, rather than taking from the old thread.

Hope this helps getting us all through the Disney blues! It's also nice for me, as I get to revisit a wonderful visit with my Mom, who passed away back in 2014.

Here we go!!

****taken from previous thread****

Hi all! I thought I'd get started on our Trip Report from 1/22 through 1/29, 2011.

Other than a one day visit to Epcot as an excursion on a non-Disney cruise I took in November of 2010, I hadn't had a week's stay in Disney since October of 2008...Not okay at all!

Our party this trip consisted of:
Me (Amber), 32
Little Brother (Zac), 7
Mom (Bonnie), 60
Dad (Bob), 63
Sister (Chrissy), 30
Brother-in-Law (Duane), 36
Baby Nephew (Devin), 6 months

So obviously this was the first trip for Devin, but it was also the first time for my Dad. He agreed to go only because I planned it so that it wasn't hot and/or too crowded. He grew up in the golden era of Davy Crockett, and really wanted to see Frontierland.

Saturday, January 22

Our trip officially started on this day, however we had spent the last two days worrying and wondering if we should head to Pittsburgh (where we were flying out of) early and get a room, then use hotel transport to the airport because of a possible snowstorm. And that's even if hotel rooms were available...there was a little game being played at Heinz Field that weekend (WOOOOOT STEELERS!!! :D) Turns out, it did snow, but on Thursday, so roads were just fine as we left early early Saturday morning, at 3am. We took Zac out of bed, bundled him up (temps at our home in Central PA were 7...this would be the highest temp we'd see until reaching Florida) and off we went. We left at this time because we thought Zac would sleep, but no. He woke up, too excited, and because he doesn't get his meds for his ADHD until he has eaten, at around 7am, THAT was a fun trip :rolleyes: Oh well, it wasn't like I could blame him; I was practically giddy myself. As we drove toward Pittsburgh (about 3 hours from our home) the temps dropped to MINUS 8 :eek:. So we told ourselves that no matter the temp in Florida, it would be better than here!!

Duane, Chrissy, and Devin had a different flight but at a similar time, so they were about a half hour ahead of us in the driving.

Just a little illustration of the workings of my family: As we were leaving the house, we told Dad to grab the coffees for himself and Mom, and my tea. He took them to the car but got them all mixed up as to who they belonged to. So as I'm driving, he hands me my tea. I took a drink and practically spat it out...it was coffee!! So I said "Dad, this is yours!" so he hands me the other cup and I take a drink....IT was coffee! So he hands me the third cup. So then Dad hands Mom one of the coffees. Only trouble is, he takes his with cream and sugar, Mom takes hers black. You guessed it...Dad took a sip of the wrong one too! It was like Musical Cups...we were laughing so hard. No wonder Zac couldn't sleep!

Upon arriving at the Pittsburgh International Airport (where it was FREEZING!!) we caught the shuttle not a minute too soon before we got unbearably cold, and were whisked away into heat. We ate some breakfast at McD's so that Zac could (thankfully) get his meds into his system, and off to our gate we went.

Now, when we got on the plane, we discovered our seats were the very last row, no windows. I didn't think it was a big deal when I booked; turns out this is a very big NO-NO in Zac's world {at the time he had some sensory issues} He kept shouting "it's too close, people are too close!!" because he couldn't see out of the plane. Point taken and remembered for next flight. Luckily the aisle was the next best thing, and he calmed himself immediately and had a very very pleasant flight. Oh yeah, but mom spilled her drink on herself during the flight.

And here are Zac and I heading down to Magical Express upon landing in MCO:

IMG_0370.JPG

On the Magical Express:
IMG_0373.JPG

IMG_0375.JPG

IMG_0374.JPG

Last edited:

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
I miss this area...
IMG_0526.JPG

IMG_0528.JPG

I'm guessing that we headed back up toward Hollywood & Sunset Blvd to allow me to maybe ride single-rider RnRC, as it is a favorite of mine. Duane and Chrissy may have even joined me.

We then passed some Streetmosphere performers...but we would have another experience with performers later.
IMG_0529.JPG

IMG_0530.JPG

For now, we meandered over toward Star Tours, passing Zac's favorite merchandise area--the one near Indiana Jones. He stops by this cart every chance he gets...on one of my trips with a friend, I purchased him a "real Indiana Jones whup", as he used to pronounce it.
IMG_0531.JPG

We rode Star Tours, then...see the autograph book? It's because Zac wanted to meet them, then chickened out. I got the autographs and picture myself.
24228880001.jpg

IMG_0533.JPG

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
While waiting for our TSM time to roll around, we visited with some characters. First were Lightning McQueen and Mater:
IMG_0536.JPG

and Devin had his first character encounter-- Minnie! Perfect. And I love that he went for her nose first.
IMG_0537.JPG

IMG_0538.JPG

And why not? A penguin friend:
IMG_0544.JPG

IMG_0540.JPG

IMG_0542.JPG

IMG_0543.JPG

Then, it was time for Toy Story
IMG_0545.JPG

IMG_0548.JPG

more on next post...

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Toy Story continued...
IMG_0549.JPG

IMG_0550.JPG

IMG_0551.JPG

IMG_0553.JPG

Taking a little break afterwards, I'm guessing restroom and snacks, and naptime for Devin (he slept better in his Mom's arms than in the stroller)
IMG_0554.JPG

Then it was time to head over to one of Mom's favorites- the Beauty and the Beast show. On the way...

IMG_0555.JPG

Someone was very interested in the bright colors!
IMG_0557.JPG

IMG_0560.JPG

IMG_0565.JPG

To be continued in next post...

Attachments

• IMG_0559.JPG
    IMG_0559.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 41

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
IMG_0562.JPG

IMG_0567.JPG

IMG_0569.JPG

I think after this, Chrissy, Duane, Devin, and Dad went back to the resort. After saying goodbye for now to them, we noticed these guys, and sat down to take in their show. They were hilarious!!

IMG_0570.JPG

For the rest of the trip, either Zac, my Mom, or I would just mention this face, and we all would crack up hysterically.
IMG_0572.JPG

IMG_0575.JPG

IMG_0576.JPG

IMG_0578.JPG

IMG_0574.JPG

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Tuesday, January 25th

As I said earlier, each morning Mom would go to the food court before Zac woke up so that his breakfast would be available as soon as he woke. Mom always tried to get as much food as she possibly could into him before giving him his medication, which suppresses his appetite during the day.
IMG_0588.JPG

After feeding Zac, and after the rest of us get up, showered, dressed and ready, then we would go as a family to the food court for the rest of us to eat.

Periodically in the POP food court, they play a song from a particular decade and invite people to dance. Today it was the Twist, and my Mom joined right in!
IMG_0590.JPG

IMG_0589.JPG

We were off to Magic Kingdom today! Hello, gorgeous!
IMG_0592.JPG

We said good morning to Daisy first. As you can see, it was much warmer on this day!
IMG_0595.JPG

Since we'd already met Pluto earlier on the trip, only Duane, Chrissy & Devin met him...I think Devin liked his whiskers.
24228880002.jpg

I asked my Mom to take this picture of Zac and myself. See the PP guy in the background...we would see him later.
IMG_0596.JPG

We'd decided to get Dad a scooter, because the couple days of walking around was doing a number on his bad knees. We were glad he agreed to get one...until we saw how he drove! Not what you think...he was WAY too conservative...if anyone crossed his path even yards away, he stopped cold. Then a bunch more people would see that he stopped, and cross his path...I told him to just keep a steady pace, not too fast, but steady and if people wanted to cross his path too close to him, that was on them. We were forever waiting for him, but at least it helped his legs.

IMG_0597.JPG

One thing we knew we wanted to do was to get Devin's silhouette made, so were able to do that right away.
IMG_0598.JPG

While we were having that done, we were entertained by the Trolley dancers
IMG_0599.JPG

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
So, we were waiting for Devin's silhouette to be completed, just generally enjoying Main Street in the morning. There I was, just taking pictures of the Trolley show...
IMG_0601.JPG

IMG_0603.JPG

IMG_0602.JPG

and then these two pose like I'm taking pictures of them!! :hilarious:
IMG_0604.JPG

We are generally a turn-left-toward-Adventureland family, and today was no different!

Oh this little smoochy-poo...look at that face!!
IMG_0605.JPG

Zac would...and frequently still will...take pictures with my camera. It seemed to be a good way to gain his cooperation on smiling for a picture, if I allowed him to take one in return. I don't always mind, because as the resident picture-taker in my family, it's sometimes nice to be in them!
IMG_0606.JPG

even when he's "crushing my head"!
IMG_0608.JPG

He also took this, I believe:
IMG_0607.JPG

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
As children, we loved The Swiss Family Robinson, so I climb it whenever I get the chance. I think it's just so charming!
IMG_0609.JPG

IMG_0610.JPG

IMG_0612.JPG

IMG_0613.JPG

When we descended from the Treehouse, I noticed that Ariel and Prince Eric were meeting with a non-existent line, so of course I had to meet them!

IMG_0614.JPG

Next up, Pirates!
IMG_0617.JPG

After our voyage, Pirate Goofy was meeting...I don't know if Devin was asleep, or if his eyes were just shut in these?
IMG_0615.JPG

IMG_0616.JPG

Sister Amber (me) was persuaded to purchase Zac a telescope...
IMG_0618.JPG

IMG_0620.JPG

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
BTMRR was next! Zac has ridden it before, but tends to still get a bit nervous. Of course, he enjoyed it afterwards!
IMG_0621.JPG

IMG_0622.JPG

IMG_0623.JPG

IMG_0624.JPG

Walking through Frontierland...
IMG_0625.JPG

...to the cart where I knew coonskin caps were sold. My sisters and I each had one in our childhood because we were obsessed with Davy Crockett, so Zac had to have one too.
IMG_0627.JPG

Then, it was back across the water toward our next destination, a Zac fave.
IMG_0628.JPG

IMG_0629.JPG

IMG_0630.JPG

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I hope as a teenager Zac has stayed as sweet as he comes across in these pictures (my DD teenager has her moments when she is less so...)

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Continuing on with Tom Sawyer Island...waiting for the ferry
IMG_0631.JPG

IMG_0632.JPG

IMG_0633.JPG

TSI is such a nice relaxed place to spend a bit of time...
IMG_0634.JPG

IMG_0635.JPG

IMG_0636.JPG

We were just all following Zac around and letting him explore. He knew exactly where he wanted to go...the Fort.
IMG_0637.JPG

IMG_0638.JPG

After TSI, we lunched at Pecos Bill
IMG_0639.JPG

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
After lunch, we ventured on to Fantasyland. Back in 2008, on Zac's first trip when he was just shy of 5 years old, he successfully pulled the sword from the stone...so he had to try again. No luck this time.
IMG_0641.JPG

Duane and Mom had a go, as well:
IMG_0642.JPG

IMG_0643.JPG

No luck.

Next up was something that no longer exists..Snow White's Scary Adventures.
IMG_0644.JPG

IMG_0645.JPG

One thing Zac always liked to do--and still does-- is over plan. If we were going somewhere, he had to know the car seating arrangement or who was riding with who beforehand. So while in line for each ride, he would plan who would sit by who. For this ride, he wanted to ride with either Duane or Dad, I don't recall which. But at the very last moment, right as we were loading, he jumped in my seat, which left Dad and Duane to ride together, right in front of us. I spent the entire ride in tears, laughing at this arrangement! For years afterwards and still to this day, Zac and I will laugh about this.
IMG_0646.JPG

Up next, the Carrousel
IMG_0647.JPG

IMG_0651.JPG

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
I didn't ride Dumbo, but I honestly think for some reason that Duane was the only one that did!
IMG_0654.JPG

We were on a roll! Next up, Teacups!
IMG_0658.JPG

Zac had such a good time spinning me!
IMG_0661.JPG

IMG_0660.JPG

We walked around Toontown...
IMG_0662.JPG

According to my next pic, which I'm not gonna post because it isn't very flattering in the least, we rode Astro Orbiter, which is another Zac choice. It's the last pic I have from the parks that day, so I'm guessing we called it a day.

Upon returning to POP, we were welcomed with Zac's Duffy bear all tucked in with his blanket, which he loved!
IMG_0666.JPG

Last edited:

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Wednesday, January 26th

Epcot this morning! It was another chilly day, but someone was able to locate and purchase a hat for Devin, so Mimi (my Mom) was happy about that!

IMG_0668.JPG

Man, I wish I was a little more thorough with my picture-taking and note-taking back then, because my first picture is already at the Farm Ride...
IMG_0669.JPG

IMG_0670.JPG

IMG_0671.JPG

Leaving the Land pavilion... I see you!
IMG_0672.JPG

IMG_0673.JPG

Next up, the Seas!
IMG_0675.JPG

His "scared" look...
IMG_0676.JPG

IMG_0677.JPG

While we explored the pavilion, Duane had gone outside for a bit. Zac just loves Duane!
IMG_0678.JPG

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Duane, Chrissy and Devin must have gone back to the resort at this point.

Mr.Independent often enjoyed leading the way...I believe we looked around FW/Innoventions a bit more before heading over to World Showcase...
IMG_0680.JPG

IMG_0685.JPG

We started with Canada first.
IMG_0687.JPG

(That's Mom peeking through the top hole)
IMG_0688.JPG

IMG_0689.JPG

Zac is fascinated by the phone booths!
IMG_0691.JPG

IMG_0690.JPG

Zac wanted to try the Agent P Phineas and Ferb scavenger hunt thingy...so we did that for a few countries.
IMG_0693.JPG

IMG_0694.JPG

IMG_0695.JPG

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Along the way around World Showcase, the 'Munks were meeting! Zac had an adorable interaction with them on his first trip, so I was glad he got to see them again!
IMG_0696.JPG

(this is from their first meeting)
S6300970.JPG

back to 2011...
IMG_0698.JPG

Then we backtracked for something I wanted to see....Off Kilter! I always made a point to try and see them when I could! I miss them...
IMG_0700.JPG

IMG_0701.JPG

IMG_0702.JPG

After the show, we backtracked again to continue on our original path...quite the fierce Viking!
IMG_0704.JPG

Wrapping around near Mexico, Duffy was meeting in the little pavilion there, so Zac wanted to meet him. As we stood in line, I made the mistake of allowing Zac to hold the sharpie while we waited. Not my wisest decision...
IMG_0705.JPG

IMG_0706.JPG

We decided not to stay for Illuminations, and went back to POP for the evening.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Thursday, January 27

This morning, we decided on a Hollywood Studios morning. We also decided that because he hadn't yet, it was time for Dad to meet a character. He was "thrilled". Zac was so happy that Dad did this.
IMG_0707.JPG

IMG_0708.JPG

IMG_0709.JPG

After meeting Stitch near the hat, we traveled toward Sunset Blvd, for what I'm sure was probably another go around on RnRC or ToT for me, Duane & Chrissy. In fact, I do believe now that was the main purpose of a quick morning visit to HS.

On the way, I spied this fellow. I asked him for a picture, so he proceeded to give me a hug for it. Duane of course later had to joke about the banana in his holster/pocket...
IMG_0710.JPG

IMG_0712.JPG

After I snapped the above photo, Otto directed me to take another, better one, in which they're both looking:
IMG_0713.JPG

After our ride--or rides? Who knows...I wish I'd taken better notes...Zac danced?? his way back down Sunset. Those are the feelings I get in Disney too, buddy.
IMG_0714.JPG

That was it for our quick DHS morning, so we were off to the bus stop for our next stop! While waiting for the bus, one of us looked down and noticed that somewhere along the way, Devin had lost a sock! Oops.
IMG_0716.JPG

Arrival time:
IMG_0717.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom