Trip Report Well, we're all reliving past trips, so... January 2011

Hey all!

Since we are all having to get our Disney World fix by reliving past trips, I thought I'd ya know...FINISH one I never did finish from years ago :banghead:

This was a trip from January 2011, involving several family members. I did begin the trip report, but instead of finishing in that thread, I'm just going to make a new one, because my pictures are jacked in the old thread due to photobucket. The first several posts are just going to be copy/pasted from there...I will put any comments from 2020 me in brackets { }. I will then let you know when I'm creating new posts from memory, rather than taking from the old thread.

Hope this helps getting us all through the Disney blues! It's also nice for me, as I get to revisit a wonderful visit with my Mom, who passed away back in 2014.

Here we go!!

****taken from previous thread****

Hi all! I thought I'd get started on our Trip Report from 1/22 through 1/29, 2011.

Other than a one day visit to Epcot as an excursion on a non-Disney cruise I took in November of 2010, I hadn't had a week's stay in Disney since October of 2008...Not okay at all!

Our party this trip consisted of:
Me (Amber), 32
Little Brother (Zac), 7
Mom (Bonnie), 60
Dad (Bob), 63
Sister (Chrissy), 30
Brother-in-Law (Duane), 36
Baby Nephew (Devin), 6 months

So obviously this was the first trip for Devin, but it was also the first time for my Dad. He agreed to go only because I planned it so that it wasn't hot and/or too crowded. He grew up in the golden era of Davy Crockett, and really wanted to see Frontierland.

Saturday, January 22

Our trip officially started on this day, however we had spent the last two days worrying and wondering if we should head to Pittsburgh (where we were flying out of) early and get a room, then use hotel transport to the airport because of a possible snowstorm. And that's even if hotel rooms were available...there was a little game being played at Heinz Field that weekend (WOOOOOT STEELERS!!! :D) Turns out, it did snow, but on Thursday, so roads were just fine as we left early early Saturday morning, at 3am. We took Zac out of bed, bundled him up (temps at our home in Central PA were 7...this would be the highest temp we'd see until reaching Florida) and off we went. We left at this time because we thought Zac would sleep, but no. He woke up, too excited, and because he doesn't get his meds for his ADHD until he has eaten, at around 7am, THAT was a fun trip :rolleyes: Oh well, it wasn't like I could blame him; I was practically giddy myself. As we drove toward Pittsburgh (about 3 hours from our home) the temps dropped to MINUS 8 :eek:. So we told ourselves that no matter the temp in Florida, it would be better than here!!

Duane, Chrissy, and Devin had a different flight but at a similar time, so they were about a half hour ahead of us in the driving.

Just a little illustration of the workings of my family: As we were leaving the house, we told Dad to grab the coffees for himself and Mom, and my tea. He took them to the car but got them all mixed up as to who they belonged to. So as I'm driving, he hands me my tea. I took a drink and practically spat it out...it was coffee!! So I said "Dad, this is yours!" so he hands me the other cup and I take a drink....IT was coffee! So he hands me the third cup. So then Dad hands Mom one of the coffees. Only trouble is, he takes his with cream and sugar, Mom takes hers black. You guessed it...Dad took a sip of the wrong one too! It was like Musical Cups...we were laughing so hard. No wonder Zac couldn't sleep!

Upon arriving at the Pittsburgh International Airport (where it was FREEZING!!) we caught the shuttle not a minute too soon before we got unbearably cold, and were whisked away into heat. We ate some breakfast at McD's so that Zac could (thankfully) get his meds into his system, and off to our gate we went.

Now, when we got on the plane, we discovered our seats were the very last row, no windows. I didn't think it was a big deal when I booked; turns out this is a very big NO-NO in Zac's world {at the time he had some sensory issues} He kept shouting "it's too close, people are too close!!" because he couldn't see out of the plane. Point taken and remembered for next flight. Luckily the aisle was the next best thing, and he calmed himself immediately and had a very very pleasant flight. Oh yeah, but mom spilled her drink on herself during the flight.

And here are Zac and I heading down to Magical Express upon landing in MCO:

IMG_0370.JPG

On the Magical Express:
IMG_0373.JPG

IMG_0375.JPG

IMG_0374.JPG

Last edited:

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Continuing on...we were on our 2nd park of the day, Magic Kingdom!
IMG_0718.JPG

I caught a photo of the train at the Main Street station as we entered the park...can't wait to ride it again!!
IMG_0719.JPG

Two balloons were purchased by Chrissy, one for Zac and one for Devin
IMG_0720.JPG

IMG_0724.JPG

IMG_0726.JPG

And we made our way down Main Street USA
IMG_0721.JPG

IMG_0727.JPG

We caught a bit of the Move It, Shake it thing, but didn't stop to watch. I just snapped a pic or two. Who doesn't love the Mad Hatter?
IMG_0728.JPG

IMG_0729.JPG

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
I felt like paparazzi, trying to walk backwards and get pics of everyone. You can see we chose to forego the scooter for Dad today!
IMG_0733.JPG

I truly wish I had documented more what we rode, but we visited Tomorrowland first. I know this because of this beauty:
IMG_0734.JPG

I guess Space Mountain!
IMG_0735.JPG

But then, my next picture is of the Main Street band, in Liberty Square, which we stopped to watch.
IMG_0736.JPG

IMG_0741.JPG

IMG_0740.JPG

While enjoying the band, I liked the shadow of the balloon on the pavement:
IMG_0743.JPG
t

I love the details in Liberty Square, my favorite area in MK
IMG_0744.JPG

IMG_0745.JPG

Haunted Mansion was our destination!
IMG_0746.JPG

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Afterwards, we headed toward Adventureland. We wanted to see if the Captain Jack Pirate Tutorial was still being held. Zac had done it on his first trip and loved it, even getting chosen to sword fight!
IMG_0748.JPG

Unlike our previous trip, they now had a stage especially for the Pirate Tutorial. Previously it was just a roped off area nearby.
IMG_0752.JPG

I liked the bird cages hanging in the area-
IMG_0753.JPG

Zac didn't get chosen this time, but we still had fun watching, it's a cute little show!
IMG_0754.JPG

IMG_0755.JPG

Afterwards, it was almost time for the afternoon parade. Chrissy, Duane, Dad and Devin headed back to the resort, while of course, Mom, Zac and I stayed. We found a spot in Frontierland.
A little selfie action with Zac while waiting (Zac was trying to be sneaky and give me bunny ears, and then what he (nor I) didn't know is that Mom gave him bunny ears)
IMG_0758.JPG

IMG_0760.JPG

IMG_0761.JPG

More tomorrow, thanks for reading along!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Next up, Pirates!
IMG_0780.JPG

IMG_0781.JPG

Through the passageway between Adventureland...toward Liberty Square....
IMG_0782.JPG

to the character greeting spot behind the Christmas Shoppe. Such a nice quiet area.
IMG_0783.JPG

And basically NO ONE in line to meet Tiana and Naveen! This was such a cute interaction, and they spent tons of time with us!
IMG_0784.JPG

Naveen asked what was this strange sign Zac was making for the picture?
IMG_0785.JPG

So Zac started doing all kinds of hand signs and Naveen imitated him...it was pretty funny
IMG_0786.JPG

IMG_0787.JPG

I like Space peeking through the trees beyond the castle.
IMG_0788.JPG

IMG_0789.JPG

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
We walked up the path from Liberty Square to Fantasyland...
IMG_0790.JPG

IMG_0791.JPG

I asked Zac to take a picture of me at the Cinderella fountain...these are what I got.
IMG_0792.JPG

IMG_0793.JPG

IMG_0794.JPG

Little stinker.

Then of course, he had to try the Sword again
IMG_0795.JPG

I'm sure Zac had to ride Buzz again...

IMG_0796.JPG

We decided to stop for a nice Photopass picture for our mother...not too shabby. One of my faves, actually!
24228880003.jpg

We decided to grab some food from Casey's, and find a spot for the parade to eat.
IMG_0797.JPG

I will end here for tonight, because my next post will be more parade pictures.

Except for this picture that I apparently forgot to include from this morning.
24228880004.jpg

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Friday, January 28th

Final day of the trip, and we started off (again) with DHS...it was just Zac, Mom and me...Dad really fizzled out. Disney World just isn't his thing. I believe Chrissy, Duane & Devin were departing this day, so they didn't join us either.
IMG_0831.JPG

Waiting for rope drop-- our goal, as it was for most everyone else there, was TSM.
IMG_0832.JPG

And we're off!
IMG_0834.JPG

Taken while walking, I'm sure
IMG_0835.JPG

IMG_0836.JPG

After riding, we popped in across the street to meet our pals Woody and Buzz. First of course, we had to have some fun in line with the photo props...
IMG_0839.JPG

IMG_0845.JPG

Showing his "muscles" to Zurg
IMG_0842.JPG

IMG_0847.JPG

IMG_0848.JPG

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
We visited the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground for a little bit
IMG_0849.JPG

Then we dropped in on our friends, the Muppets
IMG_0850.JPG

I think I take this picture every opportunity I get, it's just so cute!
IMG_0852.JPG

IMG_0855.JPG

NOT missing the snow in PA at the time...I always have to visit the Christmas store here.
IMG_0856.JPG

And then we stopped by to say "thank you"
IMG_0857.JPG

We watched a showing of Playhouse Disney, and then headed back to the resort for a rest...we had plans for the evening!

At the bus stop...
IMG_0869.JPG

IMG_0872.JPG

IMG_0874.JPG

And that wrapped up our park time for this trip! The next post or two should finish the report, thanks for reading!

Last edited:

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
What were our plans? Well, we took a bus to Magic Kingdom, and rode a boat...
IMG_0875.JPG

IMG_0880.JPG

Hoop De Doo!! We'd never done it before!
IMG_0881.JPG

IMG_0882.JPG

I have a knack for catching people right when they're eating...
IMG_0883.JPG

The salad was so yummy! I loved how they brought out all of the food in metal pails, as much as you wanted! If I recall- Cornbread, salad, fried chicken, beans, corn on the cob
IMG_0884.JPG

IMG_0886.JPG

The entertainment was great! If you'll look closely, you'll also notice who was in our show...
IMG_0888.JPG

It's Equity Ben!!
IMG_0924.JPG

IMG_0891.JPG

More in the next post....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom