Welcome To New Members!

The Mom

Premium Member
Original Poster
Here's a big welcome to all of you "new" members!
The more established members here are more than happy to have you here. I know, because it wasn't so long ago that I was also a "newbie."

My advice to anyone who is thinking of posting on ANY forum is to read the FAQ and "lurk" for a week or two to get the "feel" of the forum before posting. That way, you'll have a better idea about some of the "characters" that you're going to encounter, and who you can tease, who is very serious, and who you should just ignore! Also, even though it's not absolutely necessary, it might be a good idea to search the old posts before asking a question...a lot of topics have been discussed before. However, MOST of us don't mind a recap :) , but some will let you know it's been covered. I did the same thing; the best response is to say, "Oh, sorry, I didn't know." and leave it at that.

You may inadvertantly step on someone's toes! Again, a quick apology will generally smooth things over. If your toes are aching, you can always PM someone for an explanation of what he/she meant.

We share a lot of information on this board, but we aren't an "information please" service. Sometimes, it might take a while to answer your question, and sometimes members might "drift" away from the topic. Please don't get angry!! Just ignore the drift, and keep checking; sooner or later the information you're looking for will appear. If not, it's time for that nifty PM feature, again. Just send steve a PM. If he has the information, he'll share it. If not, he'll repost or try to get it from his sources.
I think all of the members will agree that no one likes to feel that someone is going to "critique" his/her posts for spelling and/or grammatical errors. Invariably, any post pointing out someone else's errors will have mistakes in it, and make the poster look foolish!! I would much rather have people sharing their information/opinions/stories freely; I'm happy to wade through the misspellings, etc. to get to the heart of the post.

What I'm trying to tell you is if you come here and treat people with respect and courtesy, the majority will respond in kind. If they don't, the other members generally give them a "gentle reminder" or steve will step in to restore order. However, please don't judge ALL of us by the behavior of a few. Conversely, if you come in here and start behaving rudely don't be surprised if people respond the same way and treat you meanly.

There are some of us who enjoy friendly banter, which can get risque or sarcastic at times. If you don't enjoy that sort of thing, please don't participate. If you've found you've wandered there accidently, please use the PM feature to let the person know, or notify steve.

All of this being said, if someone comes on and makes inflammatory statements(as happened recently), all bets are off!! I'm sort of an unofficial "mom"/"den mother" around here, and nobody attacks my kids while I'm around. I can be the sweetest person here, but if I think you are purposely hurting someone, watch out!!

The majority of us are here to enjoy ourselves! Please, come on in and look around. Share a joke, a story, information , your concerns, your fears; there's something for everyone here. Yes, it's about all things Disney, but there's a whole lot more! This forum may not be to your liking...that's fine. My advice applies to any forum, please take it with you, you won't regret it. If you do like what you see here, WELCOME!

ONE LAST THING....steve has provided us with lots of wonderful smilies. Please use them if there is a chance that what you say might be taken the wrong way!! I use the "I'm only joking, please don't take this the wrong way" wink all of the time. It makes things a lot nicer around here. ;) :)

Ariel

Marcia, I think this is one of the best posts I've ever read -- REALLY! What great advice. I think it should be the official manual of etiquette :) Thanks for sharing all of that -- I'm sure it will be very useful to all the new members. Leave it to mom!! :)

Welcome all!!

DisneyFreak

:snore: :snore: :snore: :snore: .................huh, what?.......What day is this?

In short, these boards are not politically correct. And you may call me example #1.

:animwink:

The Mom

Premium Member
Original Poster
Originally posted by DisneyFreak
:snore: :snore: :snore: :snore: .................huh, what?.......What day is this?

In short, these boards are not politically correct. And you may call me example #1.

:animwink:

Freak, are you implying that my post put you to sleep???:( ;)

I know you're beyond a gentle reminder...you're one of our "characters!" :D

DisneyFreak

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to change the way I post because a couple new members are a bit too thin skinned. I have asked Steve on a couple occasions if my posts have gone overboard and he has told me that I've had nothing to worry about. Obviously there have been no complaints.

I will continue to use Steve as my posting parameter.

:lookaroun

The Mom

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm sorry, but I'm not going to change the way I post because a couple new members are a bit too thin skinned. I have asked Steve on a couple occasions if my posts have gone overboard and he has told me that I've had nothing to worry about. Obviously there have been no complaints.

I will continue to use Steve as my posting parameter.

:lookaroun

My post was written to express my OPINIONS and OBSERVATIONS as to what a new member could do to insure a warm welcome from "older" members. I had no intention of presenting myself as the "high priestess of wdwmagic posting" nor would I ever dream of telling steve how to run his forum, or challenge his authority over what is or isn't appropriate posting ettiquette. I only wished to share,having learned them through trial and error,what I consider to be some useful hints and guidelines for getting along with as many members as possible.

I thought my remarks were directed towards new people thinking about posting here, but I guess they could apply to others. I wasn't directing them toward anyone in particular...well maybe, but certainly not you, Freak. :)

DisneyFreak

Originally posted by marciahahn

My post was written to express my OPINIONS and OBSERVATIONS as to what a new member could do to insure a warm welcome from "older" members. I had no intention of presenting myself as the "high priestess of wdwmagic posting" nor would I ever dream of telling steve how to run his forum, or challenge his authority over what is or isn't appropriate posting ettiquette. I only wished to share what I had learned,through trial and error,what I consider to be some useful hints and guidelines for getting along with as many members as possible.

I thought my remarks were directed towards new people thinking about posting here, but I guess they could apply to others. I wasn't directing them toward anyone in particular...well maybe, but certainly not you, Freak. :)

Oh no, I realize that marcia. I just had an extra two cents in my pocket that I wanted to get rid of (along with some lint :rolleyes: )

The Mom

Premium Member
Original Poster

Oh no, I realize that marcia. I just had an extra two cents in my pocket that I wanted to get rid of (along with some lint :rolleyes: )

Better than old Gummy Bears and Leggos...which I've found in mine....yeech!!!

mickeyfan

I totally agree Marcia -- I scanned the board for a couple of weeks before getting up the nerve to join. I entered during the "Mr. Lightbeer" era!!!:lookaroun There are several times that remarks to my posts could have been taken the wrong way, but I usually try to have an open mind. I learned who I could antagonize and banter with and have thoroughly enjoyed myself every since. :D I want to thank everyone for accepting me to this forum. I feel part of the family. I especially want to thank Jay-Rod for making me feel EXTREMELY welcomed. :slurp: :slurp: :animwink:

JAY-ROD

Originally posted by mickeyfan
I totally agree Marcia -- I scanned the board for a couple of weeks before getting up the nerve to join. I entered during the "Mr. Lightbeer" era!!!:lookaroun There are several times that remarks to my posts could have been taken the wrong way, but I usually try to have an open mind. I learned who I could antagonize and banter with and have thoroughly enjoyed myself every since. :D I want to thank everyone for accepting me to this forum. I feel part of the family. I especially want to thank Jay-Rod for making me feel EXTREMELY welcomed. :slurp: :slurp: :animwink:

The pleasure is all mine! I'll always remember our 1st conversation!:)

mightyduck

Originally posted by Tramp
Mistress Marcia...

I've developed a "subliminal" messaging technique that can be used to bolster your efforts in this matter. ANY member that is out of line can undergo this therapy without even being aware of it....let me know what ya think, ok?

LOL... perfect, Tramp! :)

JAY-ROD

Mistress Marcia...

I've developed a "subliminal" messaging technique that can be used to bolster your efforts in this matter. ANY member that is out of line can undergo this therapy without even being aware of it....let me know what ya think, ok?

Tramp this one works for you my freind! Memory's!!!!!!!

The Mom

Premium Member
Original Poster
Mistress Marcia...

Is there a way to install it in my car? I think it might be useful in traffic!!:D

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Marcia,

Thanks for the welcome & your letter.

I have been a long time reader here...and I started posting this past week.. I guess I finally got enough courage mustered up to Sign up and start posting.... I hope I start to "blend in" with the rest of the great crew here.

I guess I am guilty of "Thread-drifting"...But I will try to curb that...LOL
:brick: :brick: :brick:

It's Great to be aboard!
Take Care!

:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom